It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding your Inner Voice of Wisdom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Most of us have heard the old adages about wisdom: "Intelligence tells you it's raining outside, wisdom tells you to put on a raincoat". "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens". Knowledge is easy to find - just about anything can be searched on the net these days. But wisdom is much harder to find. There are lots of people hawking advice (like me), but true wisdom cannot be found in the external world.

That's because wisdom is a purely internal process. Someone may give good advice, or "words of wisdom", but many people just file that away in the mental filing cabinet, now part of "knowledge". Wisdom is in the now, in the present.

Finding the Inner Voice of Wisdom has been the most profound, life-changing experience I have ever had. No book, no practice, no ideas have trumped the Voice of Wisdom in terms of real effect on my life. Many people call the Inner Voice of Wisdom their "conscience". They are very similar, but different. Conscience is the voice of morality, whereas the Voice of Wisdom encompasses your true feelings of morality (not those imposed by others), and also other guidance that has nothing to do with "right" or "wrong".

Put simply, the Inner Voice of Wisdom, in my experience, is the voice of my soul, my Higher Self. It does not shout, it does not scream, yet it speaks with certainty. It is a quiet voice - the ramblings of my monkey mind drown it out, so I must quiet the mind in order to hear it. If you are not listening for it, you won't hear it. If you hear it and don't identify it as the Voice of Wisdom, you will likely ignore its suggestion.

When you are determined to find it, it is there. If you have little experience with it, it can be tricky trying to decide whether it is your True Voice, or the voice of the Monkey Mind messing with you. The Ego usually doesn't like the things your Voice of Wisdom has to say - it puts up a fight, puts up barriers, makes you question yourself.

Once you start pulling the thread of "Where is the source of this thought?", the whole costume of the Ego starts to unravel, and the Ego is determined to preserve itself. This is where you learn discernment. With time and experience, you learn to discern for yourself what is the Voice of Wisdom and what is "me playing tricks on myself".

The Voice of Wisdom has several identifying characteristics that help in identifying it:

1. You recognize it as being for the higher good, the good of others, and the genuine good of yourself.

2. There is a sense of certainty about it that you can discern with time.

3. It often contains an idea that you haven't thought of, or haven't been thinking of.

4. When you take the suggestion, there is a feeling of oneness, completion, of making the "right" decision.

5. The false voices can usually be identified: they serve the ego, they serve the status quo, they serve the "easy way out", they serve rationalizations.

6. Often times, the Voice of Wisdom asks things of you that are difficult.

This thread is about finding and identifying the Voice of Wisdom. Whether or not you follow it is at your peril. Many people don't want to hear it - it asks difficult things of us. But I promise, it has led me down the path of truth and understanding, and my life bursts at the seams with love, hope, and promise. I've followed up with a thread about listening to the Voice of Wisdom, entitled Future Control

edit on 12/30/2013 by TwoTonTommy because: added link

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The Absolute Truth is greater than all other things, including the ego.

You are seeking that which is the absolute truth and as long as your intentions are truly on such a path, and with good intention, the truth is something you should comprehend.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Knowledge is knowing the right answer, intelligence is asking the right question.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TwoTonTommy

F*ck religion and the control it's designed for, wisdom comes from everyones own inner god, we all have one and it always directs us based on the knowledge it has been fed.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Zcustosmorum

F*ck religion and the control it's designed for, wisdom comes from everyones own inner god, we all have one and it always directs us based on the knowledge it has been fed.

I would disagree slightly. I do agree with you about your own inner god, but I believe it directs us based on Higher Truth (from beyond this dimension). The Ego feeds you ideas based on the knowledge it has been fed.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

TwoTonTommy

Zcustosmorum

I would disagree slightly. I do agree with you about your own inner god, but I believe it directs us based on Higher Truth (from beyond this dimension). The Ego feeds you ideas based on the knowledge it has been fed.

Granted, the inner god we have is something not fully understood. However, there's no evidence of any higher level being who controls everything and I very much doubt we will ever find definitve evidence that points to such.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Nice thread, you are a good writer, I always enjoy someone who can articulate the nuances of this subject matter. The power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle is one of the best books for what you are talking about, it gave me a ton of perspective.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

jaws1975
Nice thread, you are a good writer, I always enjoy someone who can articulate the nuances of this subject matter. The power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle is one of the best books for what you are talking about, it gave me a ton of perspective.

I've read a bunch of The Power of Now, and I agree that is in line with what we're discussing. Tolle has a way of discussing things in a way that's easily accessible, yet doesn't skip the important points. I like it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
Knowledge is knowing the right answer, intelligence is asking the right question.

And wisdom is helping others to answer their own questions.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

nerbot

AfterInfinity

And wisdom is helping others to answer their own questions.

We're all in this together - now more than ever, we need to help others.

top topics

join