It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercedes SUV With Contraption In Window & -Testing In Progress- Sign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I was hooning around the other day, and noticed something strange in what appeared to be a brand new Mercedes SUV. It had eight 'plates' in the front window, lower half with a sign in red over them that said 'Testing In Progress'.

I want to say the 'plates' were 4x6 and that there were 8 of them. Six on the bottom along the windshield line, and two on either side of the graphic that said 'Testing In Progress'. They looked like mini solar panels. I want to say that I saw a grid pattern and that it resembled the yellow color you see on some vehicles where the heating element for the windshield defrosters is visible (on the back window).

No idea what it was testing. Thoughts? I only had about a second to see the front windshield, and the only reason it stuck out was the sign. Nothing else looked different on the car. Not a Mercedes guy though. For all I know it could have been some new model.

Any idea what it would have been testing?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
if electric or hybrid, a free way to lightly boost the charge of the batteries. There are solar powered charging stations being tested for electric cars. These have battery packs in them that subsequently charge the cars batteries not requiring any grid power. They are still not perfect, but give them time.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

idk, maybe solar panels, but I wish they would make all windows with built in defrosters like the rear window. If we can have touch screen phones with tech in the glass and not see it, we should be able to do that to glass car windows.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'm dubious about the solar panel theory. Trying to supplement the power draw that a vehicle uses with that amount of panel surface is like trying to push back a hurricane with a hair dryer. Also they would lose a lot of efficiency through the windshield and wouldn't be covering them with a "Testing" sign.

What is odd is that it probably isn't even legal. Obscuring a windshield is a big legal no no in most areas and it usually cannot be permitted out because it endangers the other vehicles on the road.

edit on 30-12-2013 by dainoyfb because: of typos...again.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Domo1
I was hooning around the other day, and noticed something strange in what appeared to be a brand new Mercedes SUV. It had eight 'plates' in the front window, lower half with a sign in red over them that said 'Testing In Progress'.

I want to say the 'plates' were 4x6 and that there were 8 of them. Six on the bottom along the windshield line, and two on either side of the graphic that said 'Testing In Progress'. They looked like mini solar panels. I want to say that I saw a grid pattern and that it resembled the yellow color you see on some vehicles where the heating element for the windshield defrosters is visible (on the back window).

No idea what it was testing. Thoughts? I only had about a second to see the front windshield, and the only reason it stuck out was the sign. Nothing else looked different on the car. Not a Mercedes guy though. For all I know it could have been some new model.

Any idea what it would have been testing?

I am going to take a stab and say it was a test for transparent solar cells, they have been in the news the past year and 3m was testing a film to apply to windshields.

Just a wild guess.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Not sure what you saw, but here around Detroit we see cars of all makes and models driving with fabric and such over the body. It's during the production road tests, so they cover up anywhere from just key parts to the whole body of the car. The purpose is to prevent anyone from taking any pictures of that vehicle that could be sold to the auto magazines.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I keep seeing reports of a high-end sports car designer that is working on a design to eliminate the need for windshield wipers by using ultrasound instead. The technology is already in use in military aircraft apparently.

Maybe you saw a testing prototype?

McLaren wants to eliminate the windshield wiper blade

I know nothing about high-end cars but McLaren does seem to have a connection with the Mercedes brand name.

Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NiteNGale2

I heard the same thing, and of all the possible explanations, I suppose this one makes the most sense, bearing in mind the link between Mercedes and McLaren.

However, what does not make any sense, is the idea of a test vehicle with a groundbreaking new windshield, being left around for folk to gawk at on the street. The only conclusion I can come to, is that the vehicle had modifications which had failed, or were faked to throw competitor companies off the track so to speak, but I find the very idea of a test vehicle being left parked up in public, absolutely incredible!

It would be like landing a brand new VTOL capable stealth fighter, directly in the middle of a three lane highway, then putting strobe lights under it to make it more obvious!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Mercedes is also throwing a bit of research into self driving cars with their "Intelligent Drive" system. I wouldn't be surprised if an SUV version is in the works along with their other cars. In the pictures of the cars I found that are claimed to have it, the sensors are embedded in a blacked-out strip at the top of the windshield.

It seems the luxury car makers are pushing to be the first to market self driving cars, but initially as an enhanced cruise-control. Might see cars with that feature being sold sooner than you'd expect. (Late 2014 or early 2015.)

Having warning stickers on a car that drives itself make more sense than putting it on one testing any other system. At least other drivers will be looking at it if the car does anything stupid.
edit on 3-1-2014 by pauljs75 because: minor edit for readability

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NiteNGale2

This actually makes the most sense to me. I don't think they were solar panels, just sort of looked like them. They were clearly not there to disguise any of the vehicle. I can't imagine putting solar panels in that spot. I was leaning more towards self driving stuff, but your idea makes a lot of sense.

top topics

join