It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bay Area Spare The Air Alert On Christmas Eve, Wood Burning Banned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Evening,

I really don't know what to say.
I am almost speechless.
Never thought I'd say this but screw Friso...this is stupid.
"Spare the air"?
Spare ME this Green Agenda nazi garbage.
I'm all for keeping the planet in good working order but by all means, let's have nuclear reactors spewing siverts all over the pacific but having a hearth burning at the one time of year when it's most appreciated makes you a thug?
Let's have cars for every person that can string a sentence together, whether they can drive or not but whatever you do...don't light a Yule Log you criminal terrorist you.
Maybe it's just because I live in a place that recieves signifigant snowfall but this is ludicrous.
Merry Christmas indeed...

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

-Peace on Earth-
edit on 24-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 24-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
meh, nuclear reactors are quite clean if they're run properly, built properly, and not subject to massive earthquakes or other natural disasters that may effect their structure.

(With the exception being the leftover/spent fuel that has to be delt with, and is mostly peticular to the sort of reactors and fuel being used.)

but in any case, its San Francisco, you have a lot of left-wing Yuppies there, making pittiful token attempts at "Going Green" without much actual effort.

In any case, it would take a wiccan coven decrying they're being persicuted for them to reverse this lol.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

San Francisco depends on the winds coming in from the Pacific Ocean & the seasonal rains to keep our air quality liveable. There are a great many people living here, densely packed, & most of the time the crap from our enormous number of cars, fireplaces, barbecues, etc gets partly washed down the storm drains by rain, or blown further inland by the ocean winds.

Currently, we haven't had nearly as much rain as is usual for this time of year, & the wind has calmed, leaving the air quality somewhat less than sparkling. In similar past times, I've been up at Marina Green, walking along the water's edge, & coughing from the smoke from all the fireplaces in use in the Marina neighborhood.
Think too many people crammed into too little space. From your own linky:

“We’re not picking these days for the fun of it or anything, it completely has to do with the science behind air pollution,” he said. Flannigan pointed out that children, the elderly and those with asthma and other respiratory problems suffer when the air is thick with unhealthy particulate matter. He said a fire in the fireplace “looks nice inside your house, and you can’t see the effects it has on other people.”

Green Agenda's got nothing to do with it, it's a matter of trying to avoid some extremely unhealthy living conditions.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Up here in the Seattle/Tacoma area we also have a burn ban going into effect tomorrow. We don't have a fireplace so it doesn't really matter to me but would it really have been such an environmental burden to postpone the ban until the day after Christmas?

The next best thing?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
What's the opposite of 'Green Agenda nazi garbage'?

Whiny with a side order of clueless?

Air quality in a densely populated city that's a natural basin is a health issue. It's not about you and your fireplace traditions. The hospitals don't need the extra patients on a holiday, either.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I feel sorry for those folks trapped in urban areas.

I heat my home with wood. It is really warm and smells like heaven. It makes a northern winter bearable.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
All I hear is "Don't burn the wood for heat. Buy your comfort from the utility company instead."

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

signalfire
The hospitals don't need the extra patients on a holiday, either.

Seriously?
A country of people who love firearms but are afraid of fireplaces?
Glad I don't live there.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Makes sense. The Niners are SMOKIN right now. Too much of a good thing.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Eryiedes

signalfire
The hospitals don't need the extra patients on a holiday, either.

Seriously?
A country of people who love firearms but are afraid of fireplaces?
Glad I don't live there.

-Peace-

Poor air quality sends asthmatics, as well as people with other types of respiratory problems, to the hospital. Hospitals are typically slammed on holidays with people who eat too much and think they're dying, drank too much and slammed into a telephone pole and ARE dying, and have heart attacks just because today seemed like a good day. Not to mention the above mentioned firearms lovers having an argument and shooting it out.

And, they're short staffed for obvious reasons; for one thing, the flu caused by all the Thanksgiving festivities, people being home from college and traveling on planes all over the place, has just gotten revved up; more to come soon!

How hard is it to understand all that?

No S&F for you.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Until you clean up automobiles and reactors, you've not a leg to stand on here.
With your attitude I bet you'd save a penguin by cooking it.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Toolman18
All I hear is "Don't burn the wood for heat. Buy your comfort from the utility company instead."

People who use only wood-burning stoves or fireplaces to heat their homes are exempt from the ban. There's no conspiracy lurking here.
edit on 12/25/13 by BuzzCory because: Added clsrifiacation

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Eryiedes

Until you clean up automobiles and reactors, you've not a leg to stand on here.
With your attitude I bet you'd save a penguin by cooking it.

-Peace-

Yeah, like I'm personally responsible for the automobiles and reactors.

Could you GET any less peaceful? Had enough to drink yet?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I didn't say you were but to nitpick that fireplaces are gonna be hurting people when Fukashima will be killing them by contrast or without mentioning that automobiles are doing far worse to the air quality than a yule log is just ignorant.
Priorites seem to be what you lack.

-Peace-

new topics

top topics

join