It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent spirituality...is it actually New Age?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I met some people on forum in my country and most of them write that they are independent from any religion, belief system, ideology...but when they give me titles of books, which they read are categorized as New Age books, like:

Anthony de Mello

Neale Donald Walsch

I know, I know...they can read their books, but they do not have to be involved in NEW Age Movement.

Anyway, in this world everything must be categorized and if those people who I met would tell that they meditate, believe in reincarnation and concept of "everything is a god" they definitely believe in some things from New Age...but can we say that they actually belong to New Age or they just resist to admit it?
edit on 23-12-2013 by AnnieWolf19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I' m not understanding what you're trying to ask.. Be more specific.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I get the gist..

I've been pondering the same..

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I feel like this is a trick question.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I do not know, how to write it more simply. Key words are: independent spirituality vs New Age...but these key words are nothing without whole my question.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think I understand your question. But what I also think is that you're trying to categorize people who have no desire to fall under any particular category.

I likely belong to the same group you're speaking of...I have some beliefs that are somewhat "new age" but I don't want to label myself as anything in particular. I feel that life is one big journey and when dealing with something as complex as spiritual beliefs, things will flow naturally. What you start out with will not be the same as what you feel when the journey ends, and that's completely okay. Our spirituality should grow and mature as we do as people.

I tried the religion test on BeliefNet to see where it would place me, and my results ended with "Unitarian Universalist." According to the wiki page on the subject...

Unitarian Universalism, or Unitarianism,[2][3][4] is a liberal religion characterized by a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning".[5] Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed, but are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth. The roots of Unitarian Universalism are in liberal Christianity, specifically Unitarianism and Christian Universalism. From these traditions comes a deep regard for intellectual freedom and inclusive love, so that currently individual congregations and members actively seek inspiration in and derive spiritual practices from all major world religions.[6]

I hope this answers your question!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadesOfGreen

I just tried to take that test, but I gave up after the first few questions because I feel the questions are not adequately designed to accurately assess my thoughts. I kinda wish it would have been otherwise.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Yeah, you hit the point. Thanks!

But, can you share what kind of books about independent spirituality are close to U? Any authors?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AnnieWolf19

Not particularly, to be honest. If an idea pops up that resonates within me, I'll simply search the web for more information about it, but my spirituality comes more from my heart than from others' opinions. I haven't picked up a book on any sort of spirituality in over a decade.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

AnnieWolf19
I met some people on forum in my country and most of them write that they are independent from any religion, belief system, ideology...but when they give me titles of books, which they read are categorized as New Age books, like:

Anthony de Mello

Neale Donald Walsch

I know, I know...they can read their books, but they do not have to be involved in NEW Age Movement.

Anyway, in this world everything must be categorized and if those people who I met would tell that they meditate, believe in reincarnation and concept of "everything is a god" they definitely believe in some things from New Age...but can we say that they actually belong to New Age or they just resist to admit it?

They could just as easily call themselves Buddhists, no? Are they just scared of the word "religion," or being labelled? They should just make up a name or religion for themselves. Independent just sounds snobbish

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

How could you explain someone who is not in the subject of independent spirituality...what does it mean spirituality that comes straight from the heart? Like you feel something in your heart pleasant or unpleasant and then some pictures come to your mind and you see the truth of your pain or joy?
So what for you need some things from "new age" as you mentioned earier if you have your own heart?

I'm asking about books, because two quotes of Joseph Stalin really stuck in my mind:
"If you want to know the people around you, Find out what they read."
or
"The writer is the engineer of the human soul."

Thank U for leaving your comment.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Tucket

AnnieWolf19

Anthony de Mello

Neale Donald Walsch

They could just as easily call themselves Buddhists, no? Are they just scared of the word "religion," or being labelled? They should just make up a name or religion for themselves. Independent just sounds snobbish

Independent could equate to "homemade". I don't see that as being snobbish. I see it as drawing from your own strength and creativity. There's a quality to forging your own purpose and meaning that you just don't find in factory-model philosophy. Kinda like home-cooked meals versus tv dinners.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Yeah, unfortunatelly sometimes I feel like a rubbish when I talk with them and they tell me I do not understand many things, that we are the "one" and eveybody is a part of "everything" and... do not dare to categorize me to any religion of bull#.

And when I tell them about my belief in Christ and Bible they quote some verses from Bible that suit their view and that Christ came to the earth not as a Savior (at least for people who believe in Him as Savior), but rather as a master who shows as who we really are, our "consciousness" and we can proudly say about ourselves "I AM".

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
New Age thinking isn't new at all, it's been around for a very long time, it's just now that more and more people are starting to think in this way that it is seen as "new".

I'm pretty sure when Jesus came around saying the things he said it was seen as "New Age" too. The problem though is that the "new" is quickly swept under the rug and replaced by the old again and what was "new" is quickly forgotten until the same ideas start to pop up again later on, like today, where it is labeled as "new" once again.

Newer is better, we need to drop the old ways of thinking and start over again, find our own answers because the world will only lie to us. Whatever is popular on this world is most likely a lie, especially when it comes to spiritual teachings.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Ok, but independent sounds a lot like Unitarian to me. Are OPs friends just afraid of being categorized or finding out that their beliefs are similar to many other people?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Hmm. I guess it would be to question everything told to you about religion or spirituality. If something feels right, or seems logical to you, then go with it. If it doesn't sit well with you, toss the idea out entirely. If it's somewhere in between, pick out the parts that work and discard the parts that don't.

It's kind of like being given a big box full of puzzle pieces all jumbled together from various puzzles and trying to make the picture that you like the best, not what others tell you to put together. Some pieces from different puzzles might be a perfect fit and work nicely with the end result, while others won't fit your picture at all. It takes time to complete, so not having every piece immediately is fine. The fun is in the process of building your unique puzzle, not in finishing it first.

Go with what you think is best for you, personally.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
That all depends on how you look at it really.

Where did Jesus do before becoming Christ? Why did Buddha sit under a tree? How long with both?

I'm going to go with the idea of Hogwash! All the Great Ones went out to find it Themselves and said Hogwash to the mainstream ideas. Not that their not important, just how else can one actually find their own Path?

One can get Lost in them Books and never really get the point.

Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I feel any belief system that tells you how to believe is a cult.
Any belief system that has their own mumbo-jumbo language resembles a gang cult.
Christianity holds a lot of wisdom, and since no two denominations agree, shouldn't we be free to let the 'spirit' resonate with our soul?
New Agers have a lot of good ideas,too- but when they convey it with their own lingo, in ways nobody can understand( but most pretend they can) it doesn't do much good; unless you just want a group to join.
I don't think a truly spiritual person is defined by others' beliefs.
Everybody is on their own journey, and they are where they are supposed to be. We don't have the right to tell someone their beliefs are wrong, anymore than they have the right to say you believe wrong.
If you are truly seeking, you heart will lead you to the right answers for YOU.
Don't intrench yourself in an others beliefs, and don't close your mind to new ideas. The secrets of the universe are unfolding moment by moment. What seemed crazy yesterday becomes a proven fact tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
New age is from my point off view sometimes used by the organized religions to belittle people and mystics who do not exists within the box they create. It is a way to look down at those who do not want to join the group. Very dualistic and very much against the teachings of Jesus but then some people ask very difficult questions that do not fit in with organized religion.
edit on 23-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

ShadesOfGreen

Not particularly, to be honest. If an idea pops up that resonates within me, I'll simply search the web for more information about it, but my spirituality comes more from my heart than from others' opinions. I haven't picked up a book on any sort of spirituality in over a decade.

. Synchronicity where the seeker get the information automatically in greater understanding with every new information. To the OP. You learn more on Youtube and by conversation with certain people than in books since you are discussing and finding on your level. But the most I learn is by sitting myself and thinking about things that I observe. Especially thinking about thinking and understanding the personality that I am and understanding thought patterns, so I can relate to how a person evolves one way or another.

Merry Christmas and a happy new Year.
edit on 23-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join