It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent spirituality...is it actually New Age?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
There isn't anything "new" about New Age. What they've done is blended core elements of Hindu and Buddhist cosmologies and meditation practices with Christian morality--"old" ideas--and then sold the package as a method of (largely) manipulating reality for personal gain.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Personally the idea of having to describe the sort of spirituality I practice and fit it into any boxed description would be near on impossible. Nor would I want to. As the entire practice is a journey of the inner self, to explore what ideas out there, make me feel better about myself and therefore portray a more balanced unbiased perception to the outside world.

Once you start to step into any organized structure of what another body's view of what spirituality is, be it Christian, Buddhism, Jewish, even New Age, whatever, then you are bound by the rules of that and agree to follow that philosophy that they determine.

I suppose you can ask are you a follower? or do you honor your own inner heart to allow you to perceive what is best for you.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Probably some independent spiritualists would be angry to call them even Unitarian Universalists...maybe it's better to call them "people who follow their heart" with elements of new age of course not everything, but with those elements which they choose on their own.

I do not know...

Anyway, thanks U all for sharing your obervations

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnieWolf19

Look into 'non duality' - another name for non duality is Advaita Vedanta..

Non duality is at the root of all religion - it points to wholeness, completeness, oneness.

Here is a video about what non duality is.

Check out - Tony parsons, Unmani, John Wheeler, Bob Adamson, Peter Brown, Mooji, Lisa Cairns and Nathan Gill - all on youtube. You can buy and read their books but it is great to see and hear them in dialogue dealing with issues people have.

edit on 24-12-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

I have responded to the OP because it seems they are looking for something that has no label - no label is no concept - no thingness. Non conceptual awareness and non duality (Advaita Vedanta) are subjects that may be of some interest.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Tucket
They could just as easily call themselves Buddhists, no? Are they just scared of the word "religion," or being labelled? They should just make up a name or religion for themselves. Independent just sounds snobbish

The whole point is to find the 'non conceptual' - prior to any name and label what is there?

It is beliefs and names and labels that appear to separate that which is always whole.

There can be no conflict when the eyes and ears are used - it is only when words (concepts) arise that it gets confusing and one can get lost amidst the concepts.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I understand what you're saying. There is nothing independent about learning from a book or youtube videos.

However, to approach spirituality in order to learn and practice spirituality is a venture that keeps one always a student, but if one finds comfort and joy in the art produced by so-called spiritual beings, and thus becomes an artist and "spiritual" himself, he transcends their teachings to produce his own. Buddha, Ghandi, Jesus, Zarathustra—all were men who created their spirituality.

Everyone will attempt to sway us to their spirituality, ie. duality, non-duality, New Age etc. They seek justification, not our well-being. It is when they attempt to sway us back to our own spirituality that we know we're in the presence of someone spiritual.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Aphorism
However, to approach spirituality in order to learn and practice spirituality is a venture that keeps one always a student, but if one finds comfort and joy in the art produced by so-called spiritual beings, and thus becomes an artist and "spiritual" himself, he transcends their teachings to produce his own. Buddha, Ghandi, Jesus, Zarathustra—all were men who created their spirituality.

How does one learn 'spirituality'? How does one practice 'spirituality'?

Spirit cannot be created - but the (whole/holy) spirit can be known for what it is.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Aphorism

I understand what you're saying. There is nothing independent about learning from a book or youtube videos.

There is no independent learning if one 'believes' what one sees and hears without question. If youtube videos posted actually get you to look and inquire into the nature of things for yourself then that is a different matter.
The trickster may not allow you to see or hear for yourself - the mind avoids certain stuff because it is afraid that it might be wrong. Not all videos tell you what to think or how to think, some videos make one aware that there is thinking and that 'thinking' often involves preconceived ideas (beliefs) that one might not realize effects the quality of ones existence.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I don't think there is anything wrong with listening to someone's opinion on certain matters if one enjoys doing so. But I think sharing another's opinion in place of one's own lacks the creative necessity of spirituality.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Yup, Individuality is New Age. Mixing up your own beliefs instead of solely believing in a bible.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think what you're looking for is a simple "Yes".

It would think anything that falls outside of what's common is New Age right?

There are not too many things that are outside of a system of "belief". Even your own identity (we've all heard that example). Actually the only thing I can think of is purely observable science - and I'm extremely "woo woo out there".

The challenge would be to not make a difficulty of relating to other humans (or taking an interest in something) because of the words you attach to them (or it).
edit on 24-12-2013 by Floydshayvious because: boop

edit on 24-12-2013 by Floydshayvious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Sharing happens.

AnnieWolf19
But, can you share what kind of books about independent spirituality are close to U? Any authors?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

AnnieWolf19
I met some people on forum in my country and most of them write that they are independent from any religion, belief system, ideology...but when they give me titles of books, which they read are categorized as New Age books, like:

Technically speaking anyone's beliefs other than your own are Dogma's, even your own mind creates dogma's, so the best thing to do if you are searching is meditation.

Meditation will lead to leaving thoughts behind and focusing more on pure feelings.

Our minds seem to be traps, so no matter what you read, hear, or find becomes a circular mental masturbation.

If I could point you in any direction it would be to find a self-guided meditation that works for you, this way you are the one doing the exploring, and you don't have to pray 10 times, jump on one foot, pull your ear and throw fairy dust in the air.

All paths are different, there is no right, or wrong, some are longer and more complicated than others.

I hope that helps.

Peace,

RT

P.S. if you would like suggestions for guided meditations PM me.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

The biggest flaw in this idea, is labeling anything of the NABS (New Age Belief System) as being 'New' or brought to light during this 'Age'. It is a highly asinine stance, considering almost every single NAB in the system, is extremely ancient, and borrowed from many different philosophical and spiritual traditions.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Hello Annie

It's seems your question stems from your desire (and inability) to understand these other people. In trying to understand them you have used Stalin's axiom about discovering what they read. So they read books that are classified as New Age. You make the assumption that THEY therefore are New Age. But they don't want to call themselves that... so what are they?

Right?

Well... Annie... perhaps Stalin was wrong about the books thing. He was wrong about A LOT of other things, after all. Perhaps you will never really understand anyone else until you understand yourself first. And that's okay because it isn't your job to understand anyone other than yourself. And when you REALLY do understand yourself then, I think you'll find, others become a lot more understandable to you.

And THIS is what the "listening to the heart" thing is actually about.

It seems you are a Christian, no? In that case you will agree that God has placed a part of Himself inside you. This is called the Holy Spirit, right? Well if you are willing to really LISTEN, then the Holy Spirit leads you and guides you. And since God is Love, the place the Holy Spirit most easily touches you is in your heart. So, when something is really REALLY right for you, you feel that in your heart. You feel a rejoicing in the Lord when He speaks to you (even if he uses the mouths of others to do so). Am I right?

Well, when you listen to that and you honor that, then you are "listening to your heart". And that is YOUR job. Listen to your heart because it is the portal through which the Holy Spirit most easily can touch you.

Okay, so far?

Now what if others are being lead upon journey's that are different from yours when they are listening to THEIR hearts? What then?

Annie, did you know that there are no two things in this whole universe that are the same? It seems to be so! Every single living cell in your body (and there are perhaps 100 billion of them) is unique. And since there are 7 billion people on earth that's 700 000 000 000 000 000 000 unique cells on planet earth right now. And that's just the humans!!! Do you get what I am saying? God does NOT create duplicates! Everything in all of creation is unique and once-off, never to be repeated. So if God is so into variation and uniqueness do you think He intended for us to be the same?

Clearly NOT!!!

So perhaps, God, in his infinite wisdom, has a plan that allows us all to find Him in the way that is right for us. Perhaps it is okay that you follow a belief that says "this is the only way" and perhaps it is for you! But perhaps there are many, many ways up the mountain and perhaps all the ways will get to the top eventually.

As long as we are all doing what is right for us and following the divine instructions we get in our hearts we will all get there.

Perhaps you can agree with that?

Think about it. If you can see things this way it might bring you some peace and relief about these others who may or may not be "New Age"... but who have the right to call themselves anything they like, no?

Oh... for myself? I also may or may not be New Age. I may or many not be Christian too! There are many things I may or may not be... mostly I just follow my heart! :-)

I wish you great peace and joy, Annie!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bootifool

Thank U for your deep interpretation of my person and my question in this thread.

You presented interesting thoughts.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You are so welcome, Annie.

If I have understood Christ's message at all then it is that we should seek first to love God with everything we have and then, next to love each other... irrespective of our our differences. I find the latter a lot easier to do when I am simply accepting others as they are. I might not always understand them. I sure as nuts do not always understand a lot of what people choose to do. But if I just stay focusing on accepting then I get a lot closer to loving them. And when I am loving, then my heart is opened. And when my heart is opened, I miraculously find myself understanding a lot more.

It really does seem to me as if Love is the highest truth of all!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

If I have understood Christ's message at all then it is that we should seek first to love God with everything we have and then, next to love each other...

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Love each other first, then love God? I'm sure he'd understand. Seems like we spend too much time loving God and not enough time loving each other.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I can speak my mouth "yes" on your words and other people, who say "All we need is love" or "Listen to your heart, follow your heart", but my HEART bleeds, because of people ignorance on real Christ's Gospel about accepting Him as a Savior or waiting for condemnation.

During early times of Christianity physical pain caused by hateful enemies, who were killing believers was death for body, but in this modern world people's ignorance on Gospel kills believers heart and soul.

And this is sad, but of course in daily life I have to be tolerant and be quiet about things I know.

Independent spirituality rules this world.

But what with psychopaths or people from disfunctial families, who's desire is to revange...should they follow their hearts?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The only thing that New about the New Age is the merchandise.
Other then that, there has been plenty that went off in different paths, but some will still stick with practicality such as Tai Chi or Yoga. Or just absolutely strict like religion.

So no, it will never be new age. Even when the New Age is already in the New Age, it still using old method by previous others.

Just most wont talk about their spirituality.

Force Choking somebody...Now thats New Age from an old stereo typical famous movie that was so long ago, but somehow in the future.

edit on 27-12-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join