It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kilauea Volcano threatens entire Pacific Rim with possible Mega Tsunami 100 ft high at L. A. ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

In 2003 Stanford University predicted that if the Hilina slump was to slide to the bottom of the mountain it would create a “Mega Tsunami” of biblical proportions, and Stanford estimated the waves would be 100 feet high by the time they hit L.A.. 14 slides have been mapped out around the Hawaiian islands that have occurred much the same way. The Hilina Slump dropped 3.5 inches overnight in 2002, and would not have been detected if it were not for GPS.

It is estimated it would take 4 hours for the waves to hit Southern California. There will simply be no escape from the big cities unless you are a long distance runner. Most of the Pacific rim would be erased. So…..that is why earthquakes and inflations, even small ones, are a big deal when it comes to Kilauea

iceagenow.info...

pubs.usgs.gov...

In 1868 and 1975 this region moved abruptly several to tens of meters during major earthquakes (M7.9 and M7.2, respectively) with attendant destructive tsunamis. The tsunami generated in both 1868 and 1975 resulted in extensive damage and fatalities on Hawaii, and the 1975 tsunami produced minor damage in California. The possibility exists that future detachments of this type, or far more extensive and catastrophic debris avalanches, will occur in the future. The entire south flank of the island shows evidence for slumping and collapse. This proto-slump has now broken into two slumps that are buttressed in the middle by Loihi Seamount. These slumps are the Punaluu slump west of Loihi and the Hilina slump east of Loihi. The presence of debris-avalanche deposits along adjacent island flanks indicates the potential for catastrophic failure of such unstable slopes. The continuous creep and incremental movement associated with the large earthquakes are apparently driven by both magmatic processes within the active volcanoes and gravity. However, the mechanisms by which these slowly creeping slumps fail catastrophically are unknown, as are the precursors to such activity

I hate to say I am/was totally ignorant that the shelf even existed.. I do remember a Nat Geo documentary several years ago about some geologist digging in the muck around Northern California and discovering there had been a huge tsunami 'way back when' but they were stumped if my memory serves me to the cause other than a possible earth quake... This may be the answer to that long ago event.

Certain areas of California are beautiful.... and a great trip used to be the coast road from L.A. all the way to Seattle . I can not even imagine being on that road and looking up to see a 100 ft wave bearing down... Kinda like the movie 2012 without the life boats....

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This really would be an unthinkable tragedy. Biblical..comes to mind for level of loss.

I'm thinking here..and it's just an incredible thing to ponder... 100ft, and of course, not something we can simply measure with elevation charts because it's not a breaking 100ft wave, but with the whole ocean behind, pushing it.

Wow... I'm thinking personal experience in being in these places from San Diego up the coast to Seattle and they all, generally, share one characteristic as coastal cities that will be VERY bad..but kinda good for those who aren't killed on the spot.

They all..and damned if I can come up with an exception right now, sit between high elevation coastal ranges or other elevated features and the sea. LA is in a basin that would become a swirling commode and San Diego isn't in much better shape. Frisco is likewise isolated by terrain from everything inland and I can just imagine the wave sets rebounding off the hills beyond San Fransisco to roll back out, over what used to be a big city.

Yikes! Sometimes I'm real happy to be in Missouri. We just have giant earthquakes and tornados. I'm happy with the trade.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

We have a slide waiting to happen off the Oregon Coast also, they have found this huge undersea slide area going off like clockwork as it rebuilds pressure and I assume hight. Guess what...yeah overdue like all of these calamities waiting to happen!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It is not a question of "if", rather, when? A volcanic eruption or earthquake nearby would set it in motion? Possibly another tsunami hitting? Domino effect? It will happen, but with no time to evacuate. Coastal residents should relocate, but won't heed the science. Cali is beautiful, but I would sell my property and traverse East to the Plains. Biblical doom and gloom proportions...heh, save yourself with common sense. The Earthquakes in the Ring of Fire should be warning enough.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this either. I am glad I do not live in California. We have to worry about snow on the roofs here that needs to be shoveled off. Snow is our major threat. I did send Heikki Lunta down south on a vacation so it has been helping a bit. It seems he went to visit the middle east recently on a road trip. Hopefully he keeps supplying other areas with snow.

Sorry I don't have anything beneficial to add to this thread, I don't study these kinds of things that much. I do study quickening of the earth and the earths fields quite a bit but not the specifics of volcano research because I live in a stable place. We do have some faults here, after all there are a lot of Finns living up here

The only active volcanoes around here are caused by flatulance.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Withthe cascadia fault line too the west of America seems a pretty dangrous place to be.........

You guy get all scared by a few angry goat hurders/ terrorists yet mother nature could do more damage at any moment than a 1000 9/11's all at once. Maybe instead of spending trillions on wars and a hyper police state a few tsunami and earthquake defence systems woukd have beenn in order!

And then theres that bemammoth under yellowstone........
edit on 15-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Are there any sharp researchers or googlers on here who could come up with some maps, images of the topographic terrain under the sea on that side of the island?

I'd love to see what they are talking about.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Man, now that is what we call a scary scenario if it ever comes to fruition... That would decimate the whole coast, likely killing hundreds of thousands, if not millions... I believe there is a Volcano slope on the west coast of Africa that scientists believe will eventually fall into the ocean creating a Tsunami wave that would take out the East coast... Both coasts stay safe and if/when that fateful day comes, please get the HELL out of there.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
One of the questions I have is if such a mass, the shifting water of 30 meters or 100 feets, can cause enough pressure to cause the tectonic plates to release their pressure. In other words can such a tsunami be the trigger of the long due big one there?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I'd like to see that map too! ....And isn't there a crack In a volcano in the Canary Islands that could take out the east coast if it gives way? I seem to remember seeing or reading something about that.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

There is absolutely no logistical solution to evacuate the coasts in a 72 hour timeframe. Plus, it could happen while people are sleeping or at work. Rush hours are bad enough already. People would drown in their vehicles trying to evacaute. If it happens and people are still there, it is too late. Airports would be jammed. Private airstrips would be overrun. A hotair balloon would be useful. Boats? No way. High ground...yeah, 30-40 million people all trying to climb to elevated areas...CHAOS. Nope, leave now or die. Most people will die trying to leave, some will sit put. 100 foot tsunami! Save your soul, God have mercy on everyone.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Boscov

Yea, it sounds like a logistical nightmare. If I lived on either coast I would own ATVs in the event the SHTF and I needed to get inland fast knowing that roads would be a nightmare. Maybe that would be a nice alternative, especially knowing that you can take them on all terrains and I'm sure many wouldn't even consider that.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The lava that flows from the eruption each day is enough, on average, to fill 100 to 200 Olympic-size swimming pools.
30-year reign of Kilauea
This shelf keeps getting bigger and bigger , the island has grown over 500 acres over the past thirty years. Kilauea started erupting in 1983.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Imagine if both coasts got hit with a tsunami at the same time?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Boscov

The slide is slowly widening every year, so eventually it's going to go, even without an earthquake or eruption to help it.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Welllllllllllllll I finally loaded Google earth and looked at it. If I'm looking at the coast near the flow of the lava into the sea, the slope under the sea is pretty steep. I'd guestimate as steeper than 60 degrees.

And, there are some bulges . . . however many hundred feet down the slope . . . then less steep below the bulges but not comforting ENOUGH less steep. LOL.

In the middle of the South side of the Island, there looks to be some seamounts that could slow the slides down some. Then further West, it's steep again with some bulges again. I'd think that any of those bulges shaken loose could be a serious problem.

But then . . . I'm an ignorant layman in such matters.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The US isn't the only place that's in danger. Australia would be devastated, too.

When large pieces of the Hawaiian Islands slip into the ocean, the entire Pacific Rim is smashed by the resulting tsunamis. In New South Wales, Australia, there is geological evidence that part of this coast was scoured by a Hawaiigenerated tsunami 100,000 years ago. The postulated wave started out about 375-meters (½-mile) high in Hawaii. By the time is reached Australia, it was about 40 meters high.

The hilina slump a.k.a. "the big crack"

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Just to add to the "fun" here. Google "Cumbre Vieja Volcano" which is located in the Canary Islands. WHEN this volcano splits in half and slides into the ocean (and its just a matter of time) the entire East Coats of the US will be overrun by a giant tsunami. The news is just getting better and better the more you look into mother nature. Yellowstone has a giant volcano underneath it and both coasts of the USA are in the crosshairs of mega tsunamis!

Earth is a mean bitch.......we are at its mercy and most don't even know about this stuff, or like my wife, just choose to ignore it since there is nothing that can be done about it anyway.....

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
A topographical map of sorts can be seen here.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BugOut

I laugh at people that say the USA will always be a superpower.

The USA could fall tomorrow.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join