It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina voting on bill to end Obamacare in state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Alright South Carolina! Looks like they're taking back authority granted them under the 10th Amendment and saying no to obamacare. While they can't repeal the federal law they can vote to nullify it by way of providing the feds with no support at all.

South Carolina voting on bill to end Obamacare in state

A bill set for fast-track passage in the South Carolina Senate in January aims to eliminate Obamacare in the state. The law could become a model for other states fed up with the federal health-care law.

House Bill 3101, titled the “South Carolina Freedom of Health Care Protection Act,” passed the state House of Representatives last April by a 65-34 vote. The bill now heads to the GOP-controlled Senate with special-order priority, setting up the likelihood that South Carolina will become the first state to exempt citizens and businesses from all participation in the Affordable Care Act.

House Bill 3101

A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, SO AS TO ENACT THE "SOUTH CAROLINA FREEDOM OF HEALTH CARE PROTECTION ACT" BY ADDING ARTICLE 21 TO CHAPTER 71, TITLE 38 SO AS TO RENDER NULL AND VOID CERTAIN UNCONSTITUTIONAL LAWS ENACTED BY THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES TAKING CONTROL OVER THE HEALTH INSURANCE INDUSTRY AND MANDATING THAT INDIVIDUALS PURCHASE HEALTH INSURANCE UNDER THREAT OF PENALTY; TO PROHIBIT CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS FROM ENFORCING OR ATTEMPTING TO ENFORCE SUCH UNCONSTITUTIONAL LAWS; AND TO ESTABLISH CRIMINAL PENALTIES AND CIVIL LIABILITY FOR VIOLATING THIS ARTICLE.

Looks like SC is telling the FEDs if you want to do it - do it yourself.
    (The bill) prohibits agencies, officers and employees of the state of South Carolina from implementing any provisions of the Affordable Care Act.

Outlaws state exchanges.

Issues tax deductions to individuals equal to the tax penalties levied by the federal government.

Directs the state attorney general to sue over whimsical enforcement of the law.

Call me eccentric but I like it.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I am not sure how this would work, but there are certainly smarter people than I.

My question is if the bill was passed in April and won't be taken up again until January, it is on the fast track? My goodness, how slow does molasses pour in SC?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If Tennessee does the same, I will stay here, but I am willing to move to any state that does this....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

teslahowitzer
If Tennessee does the same, I will stay here, but I am willing to move to any state that does this....

It's possible as states will hopefully use this as a template.

We passed a similar bill against the NDAA in WA. It won't stop them but it will cost them as execution (pardon the pun) lands back at the feet of the Feds.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
While this sounds good, and I have no love for the ACA....what happens to all of the folks in SC who have been thrown off their HC?
Now they have nothing....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The supremacy clause says that if local and federal laws contradict one another, the federal law prevails. Nice try though SC, nice try.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I will applaud them when they get this passed, but I also will await our president's propensity for entertaining us with his extreme buffoonery when the masses rebel against his marxist agenda, he flusters, he throws temper tantruns, he will act like a girl child when not getting his way, no matter how absurd his communist whims are, he will surely throw a big hissy fit when this state claims freedom from Obama's idiot health care act that enslaves the tax paying public for decades and decades, and even more decades.
One of Obama's drones used on children in Pakistan would be merciful to use on everyone in the USA, rather than suffer the financial and social outcome his personal abortion will cause every American, except for Obama and all his friends who get to opt out.

You can disconnect your life support Mr. narcissism, you are a completely brain dead imbecile. at least have a little mercy for yourself.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Bassago
Issues tax deductions to individuals equal to the tax penalties levied by the federal government.

Well, there's the rub.

So it goes like this. You refuse to sign up for Obamacare. This means the IRS penalizes you. South Carolina gives you a tax deduction to pay the penalty. That deduction has to be paid for by SC taxpayers. So the money still flows from the taxpayer, to the IRS, to the health insurance companies. But some people will be a little happier about it.

The people that rammed Obamacare down our throats may be evil scum, but they aren't stupid.

link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

While this sounds good, and I have no love for the ACA....what happens to all of the folks in SC who have been thrown off their HC?
Now they have nothing....

Hmm... good point. If they already had private insurance perhaps they will need to contact their local insurance people to find a new plan that is equivalent to their old one if that's possible.

Now that the Feds have unilaterally determined that policy "X" isn't good enough and the big companies have dropped them (or canceled peoples coverage) this may undoubtedly be difficult. But the lower coverage policies may still be available, just not obamacare compliant.

Guess we'll need to see if this federal law destroyed the lower cost (non-compliant) plans or if they are still available. Hopefully they are.

link   

dorkfish87
The supremacy clause says that if local and federal laws contradict one another, the federal law prevails. Nice try though SC, nice try.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Funny video and somewhat true. There are guidelines that are required for the dispensaries that were raided in Colorado and Washington. If these businesses don't comply with those guidelines it's open season on them.

In this case SC is saying to the Feds if you want to run your exchanges go for it, without ANY support from the state.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

dorkfish87

except that the SC Bill only nullifies Federal Law in the ACA that is Un-Constitutional

the 'mandate' will not stand up as a 'TAX' as the azz-clown Supreme Court Justice turn-coat voted....after he initially gave an opinion that the Mandate was not a 'tax'... ergo a dictatorial law forceably imposed upon the people

SC got it right....
i think it takes long because Herr Dictator 0bummer selectively determines what parts of the Law will be imposed or delayed according to his will--- That kind of action is unlawful and un-Constitutional

the best thing to happen would be to wrap the WH occupier in the 2,00+ pages of the Law & treat the package as rotton fish...get rid of both the oval office occupier and the schizophrenic Law

ADD: i really liked this web page article...thecommonsenseshow.com...

"The Psychological Profile of President Obama"

History has shown that most of the brutal dictators of the past have shared three mental illnesses, namely, Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), Paranoid Personality Disorder (PPD) and Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD).

Before analyzing President Obama according to these criteria, based upon observed public behaviors, please allow me to....
...NPD sufferers believe that they are entitled to special privilege and that the rules of society apply to others but not to them. PPD individuals are people who are unusually suspicious in situations in which most people would not be concerned. They frequently change allies and lack stable relationships in their lives. Finally, ASPD people are a combination of what we used to call a sociopath and a psychopath. These people are capable to doing great harm to another human being without feeling any empathy and remorse...

thanks

edit on 9-12-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This isn't just about Obamacare, though I am glad its brought the issue to the forefront.

The FEDS, constantly pass things beyond their granted powers and encroach on the 10th constantly.

Usually slides by because its tied to fed money somehow so the states don't fight things that the rightfully could.

Much like the 1st and 2nd, the 10th is there to prevent the powers of federal government from expanding into areas it should not.

States having strong independent governments and separate structure protects all our liberty from tyranny, it protects against Mob or Majority rule.

Another words, a select few, demanding we all do something, you know like ACA.
edit on 10-12-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This is just one step in a big fight to come.

Maybe it will dovetail with the meeting at Mt. Vernon. 32 states sent delegates to meet over a possible Constitutional Convention of the states. The big talk was centered on a term limit amendment and a federal spending amendment. The number of states at the meeting was significant because there are only 28 states with red legislatures. That means there is real bipartisan support in the states for these measures and for reigning in leviathan. They only need 3 more states on board to get a real Convention convened.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

dorkfish87

Gawd... you have no idea what nullification is?

edit on 10-12-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It'll be challenged at the SCOTUS and SCOTUS will vote in favor of the Fed.

This is because healthcare is considered commerce now, and states rights don't mean anything when commerce is involved.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
It'll be challenged at the SCOTUS and SCOTUS will vote in favor of the Fed.

This is because healthcare is considered commerce now, and states rights don't mean anything when commerce is involved.

~Tenth

If what you say actually ends up happening, do you still think it makes a difference in what is and isn't worth fighting for?

top topics

join