It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Augmented Reality for Close Quarters Combat (CQB)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This is amazing, using Augmented Reality to train soldiers.

Sandia National Laboratories has developed a state of the art AR training system for close-quarters combat (CQB).

This system uses a wearable augmented reality system to place the user in a real environment while engaging enemy combatants in virtual space (Boston Dynamics DI-Guy). Umbra modeling and simulation environment is used to integrate and control the AR system. Users experience intelligent automatic behaviors of the simulated virtual humans (such as crawling on the real floor with good apparent registration) leading to a real sense of their presence. Enemy characters can come at you from behind walls, doors, or any other fixed occluding obstacles as you engage and interact with them. This system also enables other non CQB activities including training with real and virtual equipment as well as walking through environments, terrains, and buildings.

An enabling technology that makes this possible is the Impulse tracking system from PhaseSpace Inc. which uses a set of linear optical sensors to track LEDs that are mounted to the helmet and weapon to achieve excellent accuracy and update rates.

Users see the room in which they currently exist, but with other elements augmented into their reality. This system is an example of Live Virtual Constructive (LVC) efforts with Umbra. SAND 2011-1515C.

This is like training on a Holodeck from Star Trek! They can put up walls, obstacles, etc for the person to move around in and look under etc.

Watch the video and be ready to be amazed!

The Army has something very similar they're currently using:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

On one hand, this is absolutely amazing from a practical and technological perspective. Although, the technology to make this happen or at least the principle has been around for a while.

On the other hand, this is going to desensitise recruits to killing quicker, and more efficiently. I guess you can perceive that as 'good' whatever your views be but its twisted in a weird way, if you know what I mean? Like we're getting ridiculously good at killing eachother or training to kill eachother, in all manners of situations - and its not necesserily always justified in reality. Then again, humans can fall low enough to have done live training with innocents before, so its an improvement in that sense..

Wonder how long it is until we understand how to directly shift the brain to decode an artificial input rather than the original, everyday reality one. That'd be true virtual reality if done correctly.The possibilities would practically be limitless.
edit on 6-12-2013 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DazDaKing

You dont want a soldier to hesitate in a firefight, that hesitation could cost the lives of himself and those of his squad, and possibly others, because trust me, the enemy is going to take advantage of that hesitation.
edit on 12/6/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
oh my God,, please be Vista Compatable,,or at least,,DX-11,,

IT sorry,, that was an XP Platform,,,!!!!!!!!

i want the game Rights,,,please

cause its Govt. Designed

ohhh wait,, Was not,, a Certain Web site,, also,, Govt...cough,,,cough,, i mean,, Judicial, part?,,or was that a different Branch,,

amazing.
ps please make the game,, KEYBOARD,,PC compatable!

thnks
yours truly,
Little Timmy.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Why not just tape some 100 dollar bills on their helmet and have them run across Detroit?

Probably the best training you will ever get.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

"ill be baach" cause u made me spill my coffee,,

lol

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

What did this have to do with my topic?

Please stay on topic

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

HomerinNC
reply to post by DazDaKing

You dont want a soldier to hesitate in a firefight, that hesitation could cost the lives of himself and those of his squad, and possibly others, because trust me, the enemy is going to take advantage of that hesitation.
edit on 12/6/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

Lol dude, I'm not doubting that at all, re-read my post - I said its amazingly practical, as in training soldiers to pinpoint reaction and precision in a life like environment and feedback system but no real victims. It's genius, yes, and will produce brilliant soldiers. I grew up in the Bosnian war, and from a young age was used to the concept of war, an 'enemy', firearms and ammunition, being alert and all that #. I get it.

But my other point was simply the fact that we're getting to the point of being the most efficient killing machines known to the universe. Soldiers will be perfect eventually, trained to many situations through VR, with complete electro-mechanical suits and probably have laser or electromagnetic weapons rather than Newton style bullets. We have ridiculous sea, land and air killing machines which can almost completely desensitise the soldiers from their acts and cause wreckless action, we have UAV/drones to destroy humans from a far, and so forth. The 'better' we get at this, the less chance of this idea of war and conflict will ever dissipate.

You can train the perfect 'soldier', but I wouldn't always trust their personal character or the people commanding them. This isn't just some sort of idealistic patriotic fighter force of justice that exists merely as a function to protect YOU, through taking out their (and thus apparently yours) 'enemy'.

But look at the world right now, the best military force in the world is occupying countries who's armies can't even come close, causing damage from ground and air, and you are talking against guys in flip-flops, robes and #ing pretty no much no hope besides RPGS and IED, and snipers. And yet one side gets better and better at mastering combat and the other is suppressed. It's getting extreme.

You know, more power more responsibility and all that. I know this VR tech isn't the biggest jump in that sense, but it made me think that. It is going to train some unstable fools into being perfect killers even more so, but also give honest, good-willing lawmen/soldiers the training to better assess and react to situations.

It's good and bad. Do you get what I mean?

edit on 7-12-2013 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join