It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you use Walmart.com to order stuff online, read this now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Not sure where to put this, mods can move it at will.

Someone was able to access my online Walmart account and purchase an Iphone. I got the alert that a large purchase was posted to my credit card, but unfortunately by the time I saw the email, they had the phone and were long gone.

Dealing with Walmart has been a freaking nightmare.. every time I have called ( at least 6 times ) I have gotten a different story every time. Today the story was, oh your ok,,, the phone is not scheduled to be delivered to the store until Dec16th....I finally convinced them to call the store and ask and sure enough, the phone was picked up at the store about 10 minutes after the online sale was approved.

There was another name and email address and delivery address added to my account but Walmart refuses to tell me any information. Its now a police matter (my ex brother-in-law is handling my investigation so hopefully that will help)

I have bought stuff online for years and have never had a problem. The fact that the phone was picked up in store within minutes after being approved kinda smacks of a inside job to me. They don't have the credit card so I don't see how they were allowed to get the device.

If you have ever bought anything from Walmart using their online service, I highly recommend that you start checking your cards balances daily.... I have a gut feeling that this is more than just me that got hacked. But remember this... these people are professional thieves.... by the time you get the alert or notice a strange charge... they already have the stuff and are long gone.
edit on 3-12-2013 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RickinVa

This mainly shows the danger of storing your credit card data on a website. If you access it from wifi, just about any 101 level hacker can get all of your information.

Sorry that happened to you bro.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

Dispute

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Sorry to hear that you've been ripped off - I'll just add - maybe laws are different here (australia) but I've not once needed to show my CC to pick up something that i've ordered online, just the email reciept, so it could not necessarily mean it's an inside job, it could have just been some crappy 15 year old worker not bothering to check.

I hope you can get your money back!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Capital One has already assured me that I am not liable for the charges. They said they will kick the charge back to Walmart and let them deal with it.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
what is all the point of cctv plus imei numbers on phones if they cannot track this down quick

but do not hold your breath as the fraud was low if less than 1000 they will not bother

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Odds are, you know the perp... Maybe an Ex, or a scumbag boyfriend of the ex. Kids, if you have them. My brother did similar to my pops... My ex tried after our divorce.

My money is on a 'close' person being the root cause.

Good luck and hope you get your money straight. Get a new email account, change all passwords. Worst case, give your banks a new mothers maiden name.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Good to know!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

There were 4 attempted charges for Iphones... the card only had a 700 limit, so only one was allowed to go through.

All 4 charges were at Walmarts in the Cincinatti metro area..... I dont know a single soul who lives in Cincinatti

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

RickinVa
reply to post by ChuckNasty

There were 4 attempted charges for Iphones... the card only had a 700 limit, so only one was allowed to go through.

All 4 charges were at Walmarts in the Cincinatti metro area..... I dont know a single soul who lives in Cincinatti

Likely a friend to your ex's.. Or a kids online bud. Identity theft is easy, just takes key details to get it done. I can't post the how-to's, but I know how they done it....if it was just this lone card...count your blessings.

If any ex is involved at any level, change your mothers maiden name on your accounts. They might be next.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I just checked my Capital One card and now the balance has been credited back with the money. Not bad for only 36 hours..... I have changed every account password that I can think of... I guess time will tell from this point on.

If they steal my identity, they will pay me to take it back,,,, my credit sucks canal water
edit on 4-12-2013 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Our valley has been rife with fraud for the last two months.
I had only used my debit card once in a months time at a grocery store, and it got hacked.
My credit union contacted me, as 6 days later someone tried to charge $200 at a Lowe's store back east. The fraud department didn't let the transaction go through, thankfully.
I canceled the card and got a new one.
It turns out that a local distributor to grocery stores around our area is where the card information, including pin numbers, were stolen.
I have a separate account for using online. The bank is not to honor any purchase that does not have sufficient funds to cover it, so I basically call the bank and only transfer enough money from my regular account to cover my purchase. I will never run my card as 'debit' again. If the service won't let me run it as credit, they'll have to accept a check or lose my business.
Nugget

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

nugget1
Our valley has been rife with fraud for the last two months.
I had only used my debit card once in a months time at a grocery store, and it got hacked.
My credit union contacted me, as 6 days later someone tried to charge $200 at a Lowe's store back east. The fraud department didn't let the transaction go through, thankfully.
I canceled the card and got a new one.
It turns out that a local distributor to grocery stores around our area is where the card information, including pin numbers, were stolen.
I have a separate account for using online. The bank is not to honor any purchase that does not have sufficient funds to cover it, so I basically call the bank and only transfer enough money from my regular account to cover my purchase. I will never run my card as 'debit' again. If the service won't let me run it as credit, they'll have to accept a check or lose my business.
Nugget

That is one of the reasons I still use an ATM card for POS purchases and not a debit card. When a person gets your debit card info, it is easy to deplete your accounts. That will in turn cause your other legit debits/checks to bounce. A credit card has better security features IMO. You can steal my CC info, but my bills will still get paid on time while my CC card gets fixed. ATM POS cards are a bit harder to copy and use. You are also limited by your daily withdraw rate as a soft backup.

To minimize online purchase fraud, I'd suggest the prepaid CC cards. If your card gets compromised, canx it and get another. Your credit won't usually suffer at all.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I worked at wal-mart at one time. When people that came to me in electronics and wanted to order anything online I always told them to not use a credit card. I suggested they use a prepaid card or even a wal-mart gift card that way no one could charge anything to the card. I always use prepaid cards when shopping online it saves on the headache of things like this.
Wal-mart also has a pick up at the store if they have the item in stock. So the person who bought the phone got you info somehow and just shopped at a wal-mart that had it in stock. So it could be anyone. They do know who did it thru wal-mart surveillance and the pick-up information. You might want to clear off your credit card info off wal-mart's website they might recharge your credit card.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'd be more inclined to say that this is a general risk of online shopping as opposed to just crapmart.

As far as IDing the perpetrator, have them view the camera footage. They'll have the exact moment that the product was picked up.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Some what related.

A Few months ago I got an email from Walmart.com.

It said I had just ordered a tv and gave me a link, Sure enough I clicked it and went to the site.

For some strange reason, my email was used to set up the account or their was an error that sent it to mine.

I was able to look at the order, even change the delivery destination if I requested to, as well as having access to the persons Walmart account info, including billing.

I emailed walmart, as Ive never had an account there and had no idea why I was able to access someone else information with MY EMAIL.

So Yeah, as expected, Walmart seems to have bang up online security, probably bought their site from china like everything else walmart does.

Heres advice, stop shopping at walmart and supporting their continued draining of the American public.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Scan your pc for malware right now!

mbam, malware bytes anti malware is a good choice.
www.malwarebytes.org...

Make sure you don't have something on your computer.

if you do. change all your passwords right now!
edit on 4-12-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

it was most certainly an inside job, happened to me the other week, but not at wally world. i used a brand new card, just authorized for dinner out and a trip to the pharmacy. my card never left my site at the pharmacy but at the restaurant the girl took it for a walk, as they usually do and viola, next day i get a call about fraudulent activity on my card. these types of hacks, yours and mine, can only be done from the inside. mine inside the eatery and yours inside wallys system from an employee more then likely.

hope you get things squared away amigo, i know how it stinks.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

If you access it from wifi, just about any 101 level hacker can get all of your information.

Really? How so?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

parad0x122

EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

If you access it from wifi, just about any 101 level hacker can get all of your information.

Really? How so?

Can't be discussed here.

But due to people not securing their WiFi properly, it is easy. Those who keep the WiFi routers brand name in their ID name are the easiest. Most even allow their router to allow access to their files. Dumb.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join