It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Woman Refused U.S. Entry Because of Depression

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So anyone still think the US isn't spying on other Nations?

How about just gathering info on private citizens of the World?

Still think that your medical records are truly private?

Still denying that everyone and anyone is under surveillance or at the very least that the US can and does have access to any info on anyone they decide...including the medical records of a non-citizen?

I have no doubts whatsoever and now this woman doesn't either.

So if this happens to a non-citizen what access do you think the US Govt. has to info on their own citizens?

news.ca.msn.com...
A Toronto woman denied a flight to New York as part of a cruise trip wants to know how U.S. border agents knew about her history of mental illness.

Ellen Richardson says she was told by U.S. customs officials at Pearson International Airport on Monday that because she had been hospitalized for clinical depression in June 2012, she could not enter the U.S. As a result, she missed her flight to New York City and a Caribbean cruise, for which she had paid $6,000.

"I was in shock. I was completely in shock," Richardson said Friday on CBC's Metro Morning. "I had no idea how that was relevant to my seeking entry into the U.S. for a holiday."

Now to be fair she did write a book about her depression but that makes it even stranger IMO.

U.S. border guards are allowed to bar anyone they deem a threat to themselves, others or their property. They have access to police records — including even uneventful encounters with officers — but medical records are supposed to be held in the strictest confidence.

More sources:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The agent said she could 'pose a threat to herself or others' based on the 2012 hospitalization Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What sounds more likely?

1. Someone from DHS, NSA. BP or whatever stumbled upon her book and added her to a database?

or

2. NSA grabbed her medical records along with the access to ALL Canadian medical records?

or

3. ??? (insert theory here)

I have my suspicions and due to the NSA history over the last year or so I'm betting I'm right.

Peace

edit on 29-11-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I would like to know if there are any other cases like hers.

This is wayyyy too far, IMO, one's medical records should be absolutely private and depression doesn't seem like reason enough to bar entry...

I don't like this at all...

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is very bad for the U.S. hospitality industry.

It's almost as if they are intentionally trying to destroy what little of the free-market still exists in the nation.

Very sad.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

daryllyn
reply to post by jude11

I would like to know if there are any other cases like hers.

This is wayyyy too far, IMO, one's medical records should be absolutely private and depression doesn't seem like reason enough to bar entry...

I don't like this at all...

I've been searching but nothing so far.

Although I have a feeling that if it's the first it is just the start.

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

OrphanApology
This is very bad for the U.S. hospitality industry.

It's almost as if they are intentionally trying to destroy what little of the free-market still exists in the nation.

Very sad.

I can see many not wanting to risk funds or the embarrassment of traveling to the US because of this and yes it would hurt the hospitality industry.

But I'm more concerned about the invasion of privacy on a non-citizen and especially the medical records.

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I did some searching and found that mental disorder IS indeed listed as a reason to bar entry but that an ineligible individual can apply for a waiver.

Source

Personally I don't feel that depression is a good enough reason but due to the broad term of 'mental disorder' used... I guess it is.

I wonder how long this has been the case?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Just think of the many fun and interesting things a government can do to someone if they apply "depression" as a mental disorder.

They can ignore HIPAA
They can deny visas
They can confiscate property, weapons
They can diagnose you as someone who is "showing signs of depression" and act accordingly

This is what a police-state does.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The privacy of Americans has already been compromised and I'm sure of foreign citizens as well.

I notice that no ever stops to question the words in articles pertaining to crimes when there is the sentence "history of mental illness". I am a firm believer that mental health records should never be released to anyone for any reason. That includes the government for any reason, including terrorism.

It is a sad day when you can receive more protected and anonymous mental healthcare from a priest than from a trained psychologist. It is now a system where truly mentally ill people might shoot themselves in the foot legally later by seeking care now.

This has been going on for years under the guise of "justice". The reality is that people are placing themselves on blacklists and making themselves targets by seeking professional help.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

daryllyn
reply to post by jude11

I did some searching and found that mental disorder IS indeed listed as a reason to bar entry but that an ineligible individual can apply for a waiver.

Source

Personally I don't feel that depression is a good enough reason but due to the broad term of 'mental disorder' used... I guess it is.

I wonder how long this has been the case?

I also found this:

"People with physical or mental disorders that
may cause harm to themselves or others"

Ok I get it.

BUT this I don't get:

The agent gave Richardson a document that said 'system checks' has uncovered details of her hospitalization and that she would need special clearance before being allowed entry into the States. Richardson is now left wondering how the agent had access to her private medical records. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So his US system had access to her Canadian Medical info?

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Does Canada have a form of HIPAA?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

im wondering if they have access to med records or they simple google searched her name in customs?
edit..i see it seems they have access
ridiculous stuff

edit on 29-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That I don't get either. That's part of why I asked how long this has been the case. Medical info of any nature should absolutely be private and the government has zero business making it accessible to anyone.

I wonder how many have had their records snooped in by nosy folks with access to the system that coughed up her information?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

en.wikipedia.org...

Any of Canada's experts want to chime in on what this act includes?

Does it give U.S. free reign to documents in the name of "terror"?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

daryllyn
reply to post by jude11

That I don't get either. That's part of why I asked how long this has been the case. Medical info of any nature should absolutely be private and the government has zero business making it accessible to anyone.

I wonder how many have had their records snooped in by nosy folks with access to the system that coughed up her information?

Also,

If it's the first time...why her? Is she the most Dangerous Depressed person to ever cross the border?

Or is it they just had to start somewhere to set the precedence?

Peace

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'm sure a good cruise could have helped her depressed outlook on life. Bet she is even more depressed now that she has spent all that money and been denied the ability to enjoy, possibly, a healthy outlet for her depression.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, we have essentially the same thing here.

I find this extremely disturbing that it's possible that DHS has access to any Canadians medical records. At all. Ever. I understand that entrance to the US can be denied for whatever reason that they deem, I was almost denied entrance once for being unemployed at the time, but to be very specific as in this case, about knowing she had depression, makes me very uneasy.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
i met a bloke years ago that had been stopped at the airport in florida and refused entry bucause he had been in trouble at a football [soccer ] match in scotland when he was in his teens .

he was there with his children for a holiday at disneyland and was in his late 30s at the time and had not been in trouble since that to me the bloke was a very quiet well mannered person .

but it put me off ever going on holiday to america with my crim record

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

This is truly Orwellian.

Not to mention a gross violation of privacy rights.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This woman's doing it all wrong.

She should have flown to Mexico and got into the US from the south.

That way, no one would ever know she was even in the country.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

CJCrawley
This woman's doing it all wrong.

She should have flown to Mexico and got into the US from the south.

That way, no one would ever know she was even in the country.

If she'd have done that then she could have gotten a drivers license, social security card, food stamps, and if she was pregnant, a check from the state and free healthcare!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join