It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMOs linked to gluten disorders plaguing 18 million Americans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Genetically modified foods such as soy and corn may be responsible for a number of gluten-related maladies including intestinal disorders now plaguing 18 million Americans, acccording to a new report released on Tuesday.

The report was released by the Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT), and cites authoritative data from the US Department of Agriculture, US Environmental Protection Agency records, medical journal reviews as well as international research.

“Gluten sensitivity can range in severity from mild discomfort, such as gas and bloating, to celiac disease, a serious autoimmune condition that can, if undiagnosed, result in a 4-fold increase in death,” said Jeffrey M. Smith, executive director of IRT in a statement released on their website.

rt.com...

It is thought that the environmental trigger for the above may be linked to 9 different GM crops release for general consumption in the US in the 1990s which have an effect on gluten related disorders.

Further links have been observed between the use of Round up (a commonly used weed killer) and the reduction of flora in the gut

I think it criminal that these biochemicals have been released without sufficient testing. At the very least they should be labelled so that we can make our own informed choices..

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So the US Department of Agriculture, US Environmental Protection Agency already had this inforation,yet they still claimed GMOS were safe?

What a bunch of lying lowlifes.
They should be prosecuted,and GMO labels added to all GMO food.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The EPA should be on the side of the people and move with caution when introducing non understood mechanisms to our food chain. It is evident they are not. The apple is rotten to the core.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Been fighting dogs skin problems for years, went grain free. Cleared up in weeks, problem free.
Just wish it was that easy for the rest of the family.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is a good article. It is true, we have not appropriately evolved yet to change the diet as much as we have. It takes generations and they are doing it in just one or two. The testing required by our government does not include testing for things we have not yet discovered. Caution should have been taken when introducing these modified foods but I guess campaign contributions are more necessary than caution.

This is why I actually respect conservatives in this country. The liberals don't understand that these concerns are real, they are off in their buzz thinking that the government will require all the necessary safety testing. They are wrong. If you were to eat these foods occasionally, like once a week than it would be fine. The trouble is that these foods are mixed into many things we eat and no broadform testing has ever been done. The Bt gene is present in most soils but to mix this gene with the corn has never been tested for long term effects or for side effects that are not directly related to consumption. Modifying the diet too fast is the number one cause of disease in this country in my opinion.

It is time that people just said no to these changes that have not been proven safe outside the guidelines of our knowledge. Just don't buy them, screw the FDA, replace any government officials that say they are good for us. GM food is just one of the atrocities that is being fed to us. It's safety is not proven outside of the parameters that have been told to us is all we have to be concerned about. There will never be proof that will allow us to hold Monsanto and other companies liable, because what they are doing is presently legal in this country.

Even changing the genetic makeup of foods by splicing them to another similar food is not completely safe. If the body does not recognize this white potato as a white potato it can have effects on enzyme creation. We have modified so many foods in the last ten years it is sickening. None of the gene splicing of a vegetable to a vegetable is considered GM. They can splice Rye genes to wheat genes and it is not considered GMO. This is causing problems also.

S&F for giving me the added knowledge.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Yes, GMO's absolutely should be labeled.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I find this article very interesting, and very timely, as a co-woker's wife was just diagnosed with gluten issues, and has had to cut it out of her diet. Turns out that isn't an easy task, and takes some getting used to.

I've wondered for a while now, why in the last 20 years or more, we have heard more and more about people having this issue.
Do we just hear about it more, because of the internet? Was it just not prevalent in the "olden days"?
This article really makes sense to me.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
And it also makes sense, since this was released a while ago.

Pigs

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
SnF OP This is a very important subject that I think more Americans need to be aware of. There are still too many people that don't even know what a GMO is.

In May after years of digestive problems I decided to go non GMO and gluten free. No easy task but it's not as hard of an adjustment as I thought it would be. More stores now have gluten free sections. In the beginning I read the labels of everything. Now after many months I pretty much know what I can and can't eat which makes shopping so much easier. I have also lost weight and my gut is so much happier. Gone are the bouts of constipation, bloating, and pain.

Another thing that can be done is to talk to store managers. Ask if they are going to be expanding their gluten free products and are they open to ordering more non-GMO products.

If we let the stores we shop at know we are not going to be buying the GMO products they will start stocking more of what we want. Don't underestimate the Non-GMO community of producers. They are labeling everything and doing it in large print on the packaging. Support these companies by buying thier products and we will start seeing a change.

Thank you OP for starting this thread, awareness is the key.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I've got a bit of a unique perspective on this; when I hit my 20s, I started feeling unwell most of the time; vague bellyaches, low energy, worrying about going too far from a bathroom, etc (I'll spare you the details).

Fast forward 20+ years and I was finally diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I had three different inter-intestinal fistulas which could easily have been peritonitis, lost over a foot of intestine to ulcerations and basically had scarring and infection to most of the other lower abdominal structures when they finally did the surgery.

I also worked as a medical transcriptionist from the 70s onward. Crohn's disease is NOT a reportable illness, but back in the 70s I NEVER had even heard of the disease, and certainly never got dictations for patients who were having treatment or surgery for it. By the 80s, I started hearing about it (still hadn't been diagnosed myself), by the 90s it was a bit more frequent, but by the 00s it became common to the point of obviousness.

Something happened in the meantime to make Crohns, IBS and other like diseases more prevalent, but the CDC still hasn't made it a reportable illness so statistics can be gathered.

There's a doctor down in Florida that wrote about the connection between a disease in dairy cattle with identical symptoms to Crohns in humans; its caused by a tuberculin-like bacteria and this bug IS NOT killed by pasteurization, the heat is not high or long enough. So basically, any dairy you eat may be contaminated with this disease, the milk and other dairy products you eat are the conglomeration of hundreds of different cows now, not just 'ol Bessie in the backyard, and the dairy industry has kept this possibility quiet for over two decades now (even my gastroenterologist poo-poo'ed the idea when I mentioned it, the idiot).

My Crohn's was what the medical profession calls 'indolent' or slow-moving; in other people it can cause severe diarrhea and weight loss, and sometimes leads to the removal of the entire intestinal system. It can be deadly, in other words.

Capitalism at work, again. There's little incentive to clean up their act if they can keep knowledge from the general public, and all incentive to pretend your milk comes from happy cows in green pastures, not antibiotic and hormone laced miserable animals cooped up in a barn reeking of manure half the year being fed a diet of hay and grains not native to their diet, and the rest of the time contained in a small acreage of whatever happens to be growing...

Oh, and guess what they do with cows that have shown obvious signs of having this disease? Of course, they're slaughtered and their meat is added to the food supply.

And people wonder why I'm a vegetarian...

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

rickymouse

This is why I actually respect conservatives in this country. The liberals don't understand that these concerns are real, they are off in their buzz thinking that the government will require all the necessary safety testing.

Why the heck do you think this is a 'liberal' problem????

Do the 'conservatives' on Fox News rale against this issue, or are the newsreaders on Fox clueless?

Do you really think that the FDA is staffed only with liberals?? Or that RT, where this report originated, is staffed only with conservatives??

Cut the crappy left-right paradigm thinking, it's government thinking, and the holy god of capitalism that's the problem.

Money and profit trumps safety in our culture. The thought that the companies will police themselves or they'll get sued falls apart when you realize the extent to which we've been dumbed down, the information is not readily available, lies are told by lawyers and advertisers, and the results of this genetic manipulation can take decades to become apparent, as my above post points out.

And to the person who mentioned Roundup, it's been shown now to be carcinogenic in PARTS PER BILLION, and the vast majority of our crops and growing fields are now contaminated with it. Monsanto loves to produce seeds that are 'Roundup Ready' so that the weeds will be killed but not the plants that are wanted, all of course based on terminator seeds that the farmers need to buy over and over again every year from Monsanto. I certainly don't see conservative government officials moving to shut down Monsanto. I'm also sure they get lots of campaign money from the same company.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
My wife is a severe Celiac, wouldn't be surprised if GMO's were responsible. Problem is, "Gluten Free" labels don't really mean anything. It's like the "All Natural" label, it's not regulated and sometimes simply means that there are no ingredients that contain gluten. Sometimes it means the company actually tests some of there product and it average below a ppm of gluten they determine to be acceptable.
For example, Nestle recently added "gluten-free" cookie dough to the market, problem is my wife tried it and it made her sick, come to find out they make it in the same facility as the normal cookie dough so there is a possibility of cross contamination.
Even if we get mandatory "gmo" labels, does something that doesn't contain that label been tested to guarantee there isn't gmo contamination? How would you know for sure?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Liberals and conservatives can apply to more than just politics. Since this thread is about food, I assumed that people would relate it to food and food chemistry. Risk takers and people who can only see profit as a driving force when talking about food are liberals.

To me, conservatives in this situation are people like those who do not like to take chances on things that are important. They are not risk takers. The Amish are conservative, so are people who shop at coops. Many older people are also conservative, trying to eat foods they have eaten all their lives. These people seem to have less health problems. The problem is that these people sometimes do not understand that the food they used to eat has been altered.

Liberals are people who will jump at change, in this case changes to the food chemistry.

Now there is some overlapping to politics, but that is not really the intent of my last post. You can't relate liberals and conservatives in the financial market to politics either, they are different fields. Risk takers come in many different types.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Thanks for the article on the pigs. It does look like a smoking gun. If pigs are getting problems with there stomachs from eating GMO then it follows that humans might too..

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I have struggled with itchy, scarring blisters ( I know, big deal compared to Crohn's suffering) on my lower legs since the early 2000's and tried everything so resolve it, medically and diet. Just by fluke I stopped eating gluten and most detectable gmo and it cleared up like magic. Grains were the last thing on my mind as I tried getting ride of milk products, meats, eggs, strawberries, really washing veggies, more vitamins etc. for years.

It really makes me wonder what is happening invisibly in the rest of the body when external symptoms start to appear. Ongoing inflammation is not good.

This whole destruction of our fundamental right to safe food is mind blowing. I just don't get it. Profit yes but slowly poisoning your customers?

I'm particularily pissed that gluten free food is really expensive as is gmo/organic food for my chickens, but that's the world we live in.
edit on 27-11-2013 by igloo because: maybe we don't have a fundamental right to anything

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I know one thing, when I travel to a certain Eastern European country, which I do quite frequently and where GMO's are banned, after the adjustment period to the new food my body feels much better.

I digest food quicker, I have more energy, I feel fuller and actually eat less, sleep better and the food tastes much better. Even the coke has regular sugar instead of aspartame. While aspartame is not a GMO, it is an artificial sweetener which is a connected issue to GMO's. In the country I visit even the regular white bread is healthier than our 100% wheat, as the strain the white bread is grown from is natural, what our ancestors ate, where in the states our entire bread supply had been genetically modified down to the strain it's all grown from.

And in the states I largely eat organic and non-processed food. I can't imagine the difference people would feel who actually regularly eat fast food, processed food, microwavable foods and non-organic produce. They'd likely get sick as they're poisoning their bodies daily.

But, I also know people on ATS prefer complaining than actually taking steps to improve their own lifestyle. I've posted threads labeling exactly which foods are GMO and which ones aren't. Made it possible to go shopping and never get GMO foods, yet those threads are largely ignored. Complaining is much easier than taking personal responsibility for what you eat. Can easily eat non-GMO on a similar budget, just have to put some thought and effort into it.Yet every day when I go grocery shopping I never fail to see the obese stacking soda's and chips/cookies/pizzas into their carts. It's more an issue of choice and resisting desire than money. But, people in the states are addicted or convince themselves they don't have time to actually cook their own food, while they have plenty of time to surf ATS online or watch the newest episode of American Idol.
edit on 27-11-2013 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I followed all the links and couldn't find the study. It eventually leads to a website that wants you to sign up. I see the video they have up, but I want to see that actual study.

So after visiting that page I see they have an approved list of non GMO companies. I'm wondering how credible this all is. Of course it makes sense to list GMO free foods, but it also seems like a conflict of interest, especially if that site is being supported by non GMO companies.

To me this seems to have no real substance unless I'm missing something. I don't want to sign up for the site because I don't want my email overwhelmed with offers to buy product.

It seems like the company 'Mary's gone crackers' certainly got a nice plug at the end there. You would think just quoting the chick and giving the companies name would be enough, but they really got some great free advertising. Almost as much space as the sources that were cited.
edit on 27-11-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Well I can say I am not surprised.. GM needs far more research and testing... It is not yet safe enough to release in public supply. I mean seriously how many more incidents similar to this are going to come out..?

These companies and organisations should be held to account.. I hope it happens one day..

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Yes, GMO's absolutely should be labeled.

Why is it though that the argument is often merely relegated to a question of GMO labeling and not a wider societal lobbying for their outright abolition/banning? Their harmful effecting on both environmental and biological systems have been thoroughly concluded by various independent and unbiased laboratory testing mechanisms.
edit on 27-11-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Not sure anymore , but I think they bought same type of laws fracking industry got no liability.
Don't think you could find recource if you have any kind of proof.
Seems we can't stop them either, like fracking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join