It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboards Declare Prayer, Bibles Not Helping Disaster Victims

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankieNinja

Your post reeks of willful ignorance. This is NOT about dictating to anyone. This IS about choosing a charity that will make use funds in a way that will help and making informed decisions when donating to charities.

Seeing as how you must have completely skipped or ignored the OP or numerous posts explaining this, your post is of big tub of malarkey. AA has posted on their site numerous links to charity’s that will use donated moneys to actually help disaster victims and not use the tragedy to spread more propaganda.

Next to you flame you should try to make sure it is deserved or you will come off the way you just did as an person who doesn’t comprehend information that is right in front of them.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by FrankieNinja

Your post reeks of willful ignorance. This is NOT about dictating to anyone. This IS about choosing a charity that will make use funds in a way that will help and making informed decisions when donating to charities.

Seeing as how you must have completely skipped or ignored the OP or numerous posts explaining this, your post is of big tub of malarkey. AA has posted on their site numerous links to charity’s that will use donated moneys to actually help disaster victims and not use the tragedy to spread more propaganda.

Next to you flame you should try to make sure it is deserved or you will come off the way you just did as an person who doesn’t comprehend information that is right in front of them.

How much did AA have to shell out to put links to the their approved charities on its website? I can't find anywhere on the web about any contributions AA made to the typhoon victims.

Did you even read my post about the various Catholic organizations and what they are doing?

I imagine some Christian publishers & rosary vendors donated a bunch of bibles and this is all a smear job. AA used this tragedy to make Christians look bad. Nothing like a using a crisis to promote your cause, eh?

If you would have read my links you would know that the Pope donated $150,000 and started raising funds within days of the disaster. Why don't you read up on Caritas Internationalis and Catholic Relief Agency in my post? You should hang your head in shame for denying the extraordinary contributions the Church has made in disaster relief. It goes back a long way.

Hospital Nuns: From the Civil War to Today

Six hundred nuns from twelve religious communities served as U.S. Army nurses during the Civil War. They served on the battlefield and gave their lives. A group of Sisters of Mercy traveling to St. Louis on a Union steamboat took fire from a Confederate gun battery and worked through it, tending the wounded. At Gettysburg one St. Joseph sister wiped the blood-covered face of a young soldier to discover that he was her 18 year-old brother.

I am totally repulsed by this garbage. Your OP is misleading to the max.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Philippines is ranked 3rd in the world as the most catholic. The catholic church has received billions in donations. As I said many times within the thread I guess they should be happy they sent anything back.

As far as the cost in putting up a link on a website. Hmm..I wouldn't know how much it costs to link something like that. Do you have any idea?

If the amount donated by atheists can be found it would be on the sites where you can donate. Please read these posts as they address your concerns. I am tired of repeating myself for those who haven’t read the thread.

Read here

and here

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
You know, something just occurred to me.

If THE POPE HIMSELF had made these billboards, how would it have come across?
Since he, Pope Francis, is ALIGNING HIMSELF with the poor, renouncing obscene wealth, and even refused to live in the "Papal Apartments" -
it wouldn't have surprised me ONE BIT if The Vatican had put up those billboards...

How, then, would the religious have reacted? With condemnation toward the Pope?

Interesting to think about.
edit on 12/1/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
As a Catholic, I understand the value of being spiritually fed. The people in the Philippines who lost everything also the lost one thing a person who believes in Christianity would cherish and need in a time a crisis to help them through it - a bible, something that they should prize above any other material possessions, and I know their material wealth is minimal.

Who donates to Catholic relief organizations? My strong suspicion is that the majority of their donations come from Catholics. As a Catholic, I am glad they give these people what they need food, shelter, water, clothing and bibles. They don't only give handouts, they stick around and help rebuild. Caritas

The Red Cross understands the concept of meeting spiritual needs.

The American Red Cross has teamed with partner organizations to specifically address the needs of children after disasters, whether those needs are for physical safety, specialized food and clothing, or attention to mental health and spiritual care.
(my bold)

and:

Catholic Charities, a long-time partner of the Red Cross, is sorting and distributing clothing donations.

newsroom.redcross.org...

Some people don't have an extra dime to give, but they can pray. If you had faith you would know that prayer changes everything. Did you happen to notice how we were all set to go to war in Syria and the Pope called for a day of prayer (and I know it wasn't just catholics praying) then Putin and Kerry worked out a deal. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence.

Sorry that you are so tired of repeating yourself. If you would have read my first post you would know your opening post was erroneous.

Those digital billboards must have cost somebody a mint. Maybe I am a little tired of repeating myself, but you must continue then so shall I.

Although the atheist organization is quick to criticize Christian relief efforts with the new set of billboards, it fails to mention the tens of thousands of dollars the Vatican has donated to victims of Typhoon Haiyan, or the many Christian aid organizations who have dispatched teams of aid workers on the ground in the Philippines to provide immediate relief efforts, such as food and water, as well as prayer and spiritual support to victims. In many instances, Christian relief agencies have been among the fastest responders to disaster aid efforts.

Christian Post

edit on 12/1/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Well that’s fine that you believe Bibles and rosaries are on par with food, shelter, medicine, you know things essential to stay alive. If what you say is true and Catholics are the only ones donating to catholic charities and they feel that bibles and rosaries are essential then there is no harm no foul and they should keep donating to those charity’s however there are a great many people including atheists and deists who also donate to charities and our main concern is life sustaining help reaching the misfortunate and that billboard has brought this to our attention so we know who to donate funds to and who not to donate funds to.

Informed decisions are always better.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
it seems many people think that these bibles and prayer beads are unneeded, and should not have been sent. it has NOTHING to do with converting anybody at all. these people WANT and feel they NEED these things. now to a non-believer i can see how they might think it is pointless and a waste of money and space. but for those who DO believe, it IS a NECESSARY thing. do you realize that people through the years have DIED both while smuggling bibles into area where they are illegal, or just for OWNING a bible. i have know people that were involved in this "smuggling" into the old USSR in the "bad old days". and i know that currently they need to do this in a lot of "Muslim countries", and places like China where the risk of death and torture is still an ongoing problem. yes people actually RISK THEIR LIVES by smuggling in or even just for OWNING a bible.

but something i received today has special relevance to this discussion. i have a friend who after the typhoon went down to the affected areas to help where he can with a few others (i might have gone with them except for coming back to North America just before it hit). i will just post the ending which seems to have a lot of relevance to this thread.

Again, thanks so much to all the people and churches who sent and gave their help. Truly, our brethren in Leyte, Samar, Capiz, Ilo-ilo and Northern Cebu provinces need our help... and you just did help. but I would like to say, let's continue to help them as it would take them at least 6 months to rebuild their houses and their lives... One of our brethren said, "It will take us 7 years again to reap coconuts." What do they need right now which maybe when all of our help will be united?
1. Chainsaw - to help them rebuild their chapel building and the houses
2. School supplies - for the children as they are now to resume their classes
3. Bibles - coz the Bibles in the churches were all wet and broken
4. Solar flashlights or lamps - as they will have no electricity till 3 to 6 months 5. If we can give them anything for their livelihood as their source of income.
6. PRAYER - of course, let's continue to lift them up to the Lord and help them rise again!!

now first on the list of needed items is chainsaws, this is both to deal with downed trees and such, but can also be used to convert those downed trees into building materials. makes sense, the only problem is currently chainsaws are a bit scarce (go figure), but also cost a fortune with prices ranging from about $750 US each and UP.

then school supplies. yet again something really needed as these materials were either washed away or destroyed. and the children NEED to learn.

but look at number 3 on the list, BIBLES.
isn't that interesting, while people here are whining about the waste and stupidity of sending bibles to these poor people, THEY WANT THEM and feel they NEED THEM. this has NOTHING to do with trying to convert people during their time of grief and pain, but for those who already BELIEVE, who have lost what they had. in fact many of these people CAN NOT AFFORD to buy themselves a new bible, we are talking about people who may earn very little (poorer nation remember), and a bible may just be more than they can afford in normal times, forget about the fact that many of them have now lost the ways they earned their living, not to mention all their possessions. many would not know but i now live most of time there. i will always remember when my mother passed away there we gave her bible to a lady who lives in a "squatter area" like many of the poorer people her bible, the look of sheer JOY on her face as she had always wanted one, but could never AFFORD to buy one. i imagine these bibles that people have been damming in this thread will bring similar JOY to those that receive them.

next they ask for things like solar lights and such. which again makes sense, since many will be without power for a long time, due to things like wires being down, not to mention at least one major power plant was put out of commission and will take awhile to fix. heck i know one area just got cell phone reception back, (thank you Smart).

and what do we have at the end? why they are ASKING for PRAYER. so it would seem that that "billboard" is more than just being insensitive, but completely WRONG as well.

as for the sideline discussion about what organizations we should give money to. well i much PREFER giving to some religious organizations since at least with THEM, ALL the MONEY COLLECTED actually GOES to give AID, unlike more secular institutions like red cross, and most others where a good chunk of the money collected goes to overhead like PAY and ADVERTISING.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Informed decisions are always better.

I agree. If I am going to donate my $$$ I check out the organizations asking for it:

Super Typhoon Disaster Relief

Maslow's hierarchy of needs (top 4) are: # 1 food, #2 shelter, #3 clothing & #4 love. Well, this is one man's interpretation of the basics. Consider Bibles and Rosaries in the Love category.

I my opinion trashing a religion that provides all 4 and claiming they are only providing one as those billboard insinuate falls in the hate category and nobody needs it.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

No I clearly posted they sent 150,000 in other relief other than what it cost for the 1,000 bibles and 12,000 rosaries. I have no idea what those two items cost them with shipping combined.

As I said I guess they should be thankful for whatever they get. I mean the church will be hurt from this as well considering the billions they are used to receiving. The Philippines will not be able to contribute like they had been because of this.

Both sides are experiencing a loss from this disaster just in different ways.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Perhaps the disaster victems can do what McDonalds suggests to it's hungry employees who can't afford to eat there. Just tear the bible up into smaller pieces and eat those pieces. That way one bible can actually feed a whole family?
They could even pray to god to make the paper taste better.

-Peace-
edit on 1-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Grimpachi

No I clearly posted they sent 150,000 in other relief other than what it cost for the 1,000 bibles and 12,000 rosaries. I have no idea what those two items cost them with shipping combined.

As I said I guess they should be thankful for whatever they get. I mean the church will be hurt from this as well considering the billions they are used to receiving. The Philippines will not be able to contribute like they had been because of this.

Both sides are experiencing a loss from this disaster just in different ways.

In your opening post your source stated the bibles and rosaries were donated by the Catholic
Bishop Conference of the Philippines. This is not even a relief organization. Nobody donated $$ to the typhoon victims that went towards the purchase of religion items.

edit on 12/1/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostfacekilah00

They can't eat the bibles or feed their babies rosaries. Pray for sure but practicality says other goods are more essential right now. If your child was cold and hungry would you give her a bible and say quiet down now ?

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

It's not either or, you can send food and bibles at the same time.
Why are people so negative to those helping victims of a natural disaster.
It's like a vegetarian whinging that peoples have sent meat.
WELL I DONT WANT IT SO WHY SHOULD ANYBODY ELSE!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

It's not either or, you can send food and bibles at the same time.
Why are people so negative to those helping victims of a natural disaster.
It's like a vegetarian whinging that peoples have sent meat.
WELL I DONT WANT IT SO WHY SHOULD ANYBODY ELSE!!!!

can you believe some of the posts here?

lol, wow!

US military was bringing food. scouting the hard hit area's for priority emergency response's.
all that stuff was flown in free to them, food and bibles.

the billboards are bs.

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join