It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboards Declare Prayer, Bibles Not Helping Disaster Victims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

While at least $300 million has been pledged by nations around the world to help survivors of Super Typhoon Haiyan, the Catholic Bishop Conference of the Philippines, a billion-dollar non-government organization, has responded to the disaster by sending 1,000 bibles and 12,000 rosaries to survivors, according to CBS News. Additionally, the Pope tweeted for Catholics to pray for the typhoon victims. His message was retweeted 30,000 times.

“Imagine if the Pope had asked for people to send money to victims or to send needed supplies. How much more useful would that have been to the people of the Philippines? This is insulting,” said American Atheists President David Silverman. “Over 5,500 people have died, so Pope Francis leads people in prayer, and they send bibles and rosaries. This is repugnant; natural disasters should not be viewed as opportunities for proselytization.” Silverman continued, “Religion is not charity. It’s business masquerading as charity, and it needs to be recognized as such.”

The billboard was at no cost.

AA

OK let me explain why I am putting this in the conspiracy section.

I have donated to religious organizations before for disaster relief but I never thought the money I gave would go to proselytization with bibles or rosaries if I thought for a second they would be I would have found a worthwhile charity. The people need food shelter medicine. I know it costs more in many cases to ship something than buy it locally so there is another waste of money because I don’t think those goods are big on the list there. Some will say that makes it even more important well I disagree. The need to preserve life is always the one of most importance. Not only that every cargo container filled with bibles is taking up room that essentials could be.

This is just more stupidity than I can bare ATM. When Venezuela had mudslides that killed so many years ago I was in the National Guard in Florida and volunteered to go down to help. I have seen firsthand what a true disaster looks like and have seen the suffering. There is a time and place to gain followers that isn’t it besides there is no shortage of locals with faith that can provide in that department. They need food cloths medicine and shelter. Hell a mild infection can become life threatening too many in such situations a simple bottle of antiseptic does a lot but all those things are in short supply.

Sanitation is a huge priority I was on body detail there for a bit and I can imagine it is much worse with those typhoon victims. So please if you want to help make sure you donate to organizations that actually will help. Prayer only helps the one praying.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What do you mean the billboard was at no cost? It doesn't cost money to put up billboards? As a Christian, I would consider it a godsend to be given a Bible or rosary in the midst of a disaster and I would hope for prayer from my brothers and sisters in Christ, but I would also be upset if an organization was only proselytizing. I'm not sure if that is the case here, but I do know that Christian charities always donate a lot of food, basic supplies, and man-hours to help with disaster relief, especially for a disaster as big as Hurricane Haiyan.
edit on 26-11-2013 by ghostfacekilah00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Witnesses Claim Miracle Man Saved Car Crash Victim With Prayer
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj1iKGydXk8
www.youtube.com...

We now know the pastor was identified, but phew what a story!!

USA sent 92 soldiers to Philippines as initial aid.

How many went to Iraq and Afghanistan??

edit on 26-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: typo

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostfacekilah00

Amen, just make it a King James Version!!

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostfacekilah00

The billboards did not cost the organization or its donors. So the message was posted without cost which means that's more money they can contribute to the cause.

After losing everything but the clothes on your back nothing feels up a stomach, provides shelter overhead, or keeps you warm like a bible and rosary. End sarcasm.

I don't have any problem with the ones actually helping but diverting money for bibles and rosaries is not helping and I doubt that 99% of the people who donated that money through those organizations thought it would be used that way.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I have no desire to enter into a religious debate, but I can understand the message these billboards are trying to get across.

Prayer is fine, if you believe in such things, but tangible help will of course have a much greater impact, imo.

Pray if you like, but people need food, clothing, shelter, and medical assistance much more than words and good wishes, from my experience, at least.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
They are mad at God for sending the Asteroids, so they are on a campaign to troll him!!

Points up!!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Perfect reasoning there I wholeheartedly agree. I imagine another high priority item there would be mosquito netting considering the standing water and high malaria rate.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Lots of folks need/want food for their soul as well as their belly in desperate times. I have never known a Christian group to come to any disaster site holding nothing but bibles and rosaries, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

People donate money to certain groups for a reason. If you are looking for a way to spread the Word of God and help people then you can donate to a Christian charity. If the thought of that is revolting, then you can donate your money to a charity that does not hand out "just" bibles and rosaries.

If one donates to a charity "ASSuming" what the money may be used for and are then upset about it after they found out the truth.... then more time and care should have been taken when picking where your charitable donations were going to go.

This is why there are multiple charities for most any cause known to man. Some felt like they could do a better job than others and some just weren't happy with what was already out there.

Now lying about where the money goes is a whole other issue as both sides (religious/nonreligious) have been caught with their hand in the cookie jar more than once.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
this is a silly argument, specifically because it totally ignores the reality of charitable giving.

no one asks people whether they are religious or not before they accept donations from them. people of faith donate to all kinds of charities, many of them completely secular.

when you give charitably, you do so because you want to help. if the charity is faith-based, you can assume some of your donation will go to providing the victims with spiritual help as well as food, shelter, medicine.

dumb argument, argument is dumb

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I can agree with that. I think these billboards are relaying that message quite nicely as well. For those who thought their donations would go to items of the life sustaining measure the message on those signs should make them a bit more cautious next time.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I hope the Watchers don't see that Billboard...

The Atheists logo resembles some sacred geometries...

edit on 26-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: addition

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I disagree. When people donate to disaster relief I think most people think there money goes to actually helping them not to bringing in more followers. Growing up 90% or more of the charity’s out there had religious affiliation it is only recently in history there have been secular ones. It was there way or the highway at one time. Now there are choices and people should be made more aware.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I can agree with that. I think these billboards are relaying that message quite nicely as well. For those who thought their donations would go to items of the life sustaining measure the message on those signs should make them is a bit more cautious next time.

no, what it will do is cause a divide in which religious people of all kinds will be compelled to only donate to faith based charities. non faith based charities who tried to wipe them out, will then reciprocate. it's dumb. the only end result of the mindset your describing is less of everything for the people who need help in the first place.

we don't need any more polarization

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It must be tough in these circumstances. I pray that they will get the help that they need.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Atheists praying for checks!!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I disagree. Those who donate will always donate except they will be more informed in doing so.

BTW if you think anything will end polarization of the world or populace I hope you have a brand new strategy because everything tried so far has failed and will continue to do so. Religion itself is a divider even within their own sects.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by undo

I disagree. When people donate to disaster relief I think most people think there money goes to actually helping them not to bringing in more followers. Growing up 90% or more of the charity’s out there had religious affiliation it is only recently in history there have been secular ones. It was there way or the highway at one time. Now there are choices and people should be made more aware.

do you not hear what i'm saying? currently religious people don't check if your org is secular before they donate to your cause. what the op examples are doing is asking them to do so. how is that gonna help anybody? you want to put secular charities out of business? that is dumb.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I am not worried about them going under neither should you.

Over the last twenty years, one of the most stunning changes to the American social landscape has been the dramatic rise in the percentage of Americans who report having no religious affiliation—the group that has come to be known as the “nones.” Today, 20 percent of Americans disclaim a religious affiliation,and among millennials, it is over 30 percent. At the same time, there has been a growing debate over whether the secularization of society will lead to a decrease in charitable giving, with secularists—whether they consider themselves atheists, agnostics, or humanists—tending to argue that fewer religious Americans will simply mean fewer contributions to pay for churches and synagogues that fewer Americans are attending anyway.

Read more: It’s Social Ties—Not Religion—That Makes the Faithful Give to Charity | TIME.com

20% of America is over 60 million.
edit on 27-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I have no desire to contribute to proselytizing at all. I like to maximize my donations by choosing charities that will lose the least amount to overhead and put my donation to the best use. There are organizations that rate charities to help donors make better choices. Is a rating organization detrimental because it discourages people from giving to charities that spend more money on salaries and advertising than helping people? Unless the goal of charity is to make the donor feel warm and fuzzy, it only makes sense that the most important concerns are the efficacy of the work the charity does and the efficiency with which they do it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join