It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive Saturday as 7 volcanoes erupt in six different countries just hours apart

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm not an expert in the field of volcanoes but I am curious as to what this really means when this many volcanoes begin erupting. Some of the recent volcanoes that have awakened have lied dormant for thousands of years. On this past Saturday alone, seven volcanoes spewed ash clouds in fairly large eruptions and just hours apart from each other. Two of these made their own threads here at ATS

It's raining rocks in Sicily as Mount Etna erupts

Volcanic eruption in Pacifac creates new island off the coast of Japan

There hasn't been much talk about all the recent activity on the Volcano Watch 2013 thread, but I am curious as to what our ATS experts think about these recent eruptions and if all is normal.

The following eruptions occurred on Saturday, Nov. 23

In Japan, a volcano on Nishino-Shima Island erupted for the first time in 40 years. The eruption resulted in a new island in the Pacific. The Japanese Navy reported that the eruption caused boiling lava to meet sea water that gave rise to plumes of steam and ash.

Some 7,000 miles from Japan. Mexico's Colima Volcano created a steam and ash cloud that reached two miles into the sky.

In Guatemala, Fire Mountain lived up to its name and created a moderate ash could that blanketed the nearby towns with ash fall. But the eruption and shock waves caused by the eruption was felt by Guatemalans as far as 6 miles away from the volcano. While it caused doors and windows to rattle, early reports said there was no damage so far.

In Vanuatu in the Pacific, the Yasur Volcano had some weak explosions and the resultant ash fall is affecting farm lands.

In Italy, Mount Etna created a spectacular lights display show anew, causing flights cancellations. The lava flow damaged the town of Zafferana. Black ash fall filled across the Strait of Messina from Sicily to the mainland, covering the streets and vehicles. The ashes were about 2 cm in size.
Although there were no evacuations, a highway was shuttered from 30 minutes and it closed four air corridors servicing the Catania Airport in Sicily.

In Indonesia, the country's Mount Sinabung spewed ash cloud four miles high, causing the evacuation of 6,000 people, while scientists predict a major eruption forthcoming.

Lastly, Mount Merapi in Java, also in Indonesia, erupted on Saturday, but so far there has been no news yet of any casualties.

Explosive day as seven volcanoes erupt within hours in six different countries

Check out the link for videos of the eruptions.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

It means we're rockin! ...Seriously, I don't really know what it means. Might be connected to that huge CME that hit around the same time though. Good catch.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
My first thought was that it could be Ison. Could it's gravity be pulling up the lava?

I'm no expert either, it was just a thought that popped into my head.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Very interesting, I too am curious to hear what someone with knowledge on the subject has to say.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that as the external phenomenon like tornados and hurricanes have slowed down in recent years. The core and its associated vents have been ready to release the heat thet hasn't stopped being created its like a massive HVAC unit, it has to release the energy somewhere maybe on the surface or from the inside out

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I'm sure Ison and the solar maximum/solar storms have something to do with this...
edit on 25-11-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
All I can find on the subject are conspiracy sites.

Is Collective-Evolution a conspiracy site?

They said according to the Smithsonian we can average 20 eruptions any given day, but we got 34 during the 7 eruptions we're talking about.

I can't confirm this I went to the Smithsonian site, and found only what I thought I would,a bunch of Museum stuff.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Frackin!!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

terriblyvexed

They said according to the Smithsonian we can average 20 eruptions any given day, but we got 34 during the 7 eruptions we're talking about.

I can't confirm this I went to the Smithsonian site, and found only what I thought I would,a bunch of Museum stuff.

Here's erupting volcanoes today from Volcano Discovery, but I think the difference here is that these seven actually spewed some ash clouds. Not sure, but yeah, here is a list of volcanoes considered "currently erupting"

Currently erupting:
Ambrym (Vanuatu): active lava lakes in several craters (updated 16 Sep 2013)
Bagana (Bougainville Island, Papua New Guinea): ash explosions (updated 16 Nov 2013)
Barren Island (Indian Ocean): new eruption in mid October 2013 (updated 17 Oct 2013)
Batu Tara (Sunda Islands, Indonesia): strombolian explosions, ash plumes up to 500 m, extrusion of a small lava dome with rockfalls (updated 6 Nov 2013)
Cleveland (Aleutian Islands, Alaska): continuous small eruptions (updated 6 May 2013)
Colima (Western Mexico): lava flow on upper eastern flank (updated 24 Nov 2013)
Dukono (Halmahera): thermal anomaly, probably small explosive activity in summit crater (updated 23 Oct 2013)
Erebus (Antarctica): active lava lake in summit crater (updated 21 Jan 2012)
Erta Ale (Ethiopia): active lava lake in northern pit crater, active hornito with intermittend flow in southern crater (updated 11 Jan 2013)
Etna (Sicily, Italy): degassing, seismic unrest (updated 23 Nov 2013)
Fuego (Guatemala): strombolian activity at summit, lava flow emission on upper slopes (updated 24 Nov 2013)
Ibu (Halmahera, Indonesia): growing lava dome, seismic unrest (updated 23 Oct 2013)
Karymsky (Kamchatka): occasional small explosions, thermal anomaly (updated 6 Nov 2013)
Kilauea (Hawai'i): lava lakes in Halemau'uma'u and Pu'u 'O'o, lava flows on coastal flat and weakly active ocean entries (updated 13 Aug 2013)
Kizimen (Kamchatka): growing lava dome and incandescent rock avalanches (updated 15 Oct 2013)
Klyuchevskoy (Kamchatka): strong steaming, likely strombolian activity in summit crater (updated 25 Nov 2013)
Merapi (Central Java): moderate gas and ash plume on 22 july (updated 18 Nov 2013)
Nishino-shima (Volcano Islands, Japan): stromboliam activity, cone-building (updated 23 Nov 2013)
Nyiragongo (DRCongo): active lava lake in summit crater (updated 12 Jun 2013)
Ol Doinyo Lengai (Tanzania): effusion of natrocarbonatite lava inside the crater (updated 8 Jul 2013)
Pacaya (Guatemala): strombolian activity and lava flow (updated 24 Nov 2013)
Paluweh (off Flores Island, Indonesia): active growing lava dome (updated 12 Aug 2013)
Rabaul (Tavurvur) (New Britain, Papua New Guinea): sporadic mild to moderate explosions (updated 22 Nov 2013)
Reventador (Ecuador): ash explosions, occasional pyroclastic flows (updated 14 Nov 2013)
Sakurajima (Kyushu, Japan): constant ash emissions and strong explosions (updated 24 Nov 2013)
Santa María / Santiaguito (Guatemala): Santiaguito volcano (Guatemala): lava flow on south flank of dome becomes more active (updated 24 Nov 2013)
Semeru (East Java, Indonesia): growing lava dome, ash venting and small to moderate explosions (updated 18 Oct 2013)
Shiveluch (Kamchatka): slow dome growth, occasional explosions and pyroclastic flows (updated 25 Nov 2013)
Sinabung (Sumatra, Indonesia): ash venting and vulcanian explosions (updated 25 Nov 2013)
Stromboli (Eolian Islands, Italy): continuing lava overflows (updated 3 Nov 2013)
Suwanose-jima (Ryukyu Islands): Mt Ontake volcano of Suwanose-jima Island, Japan (updated 12 Sep 2013)
Telica (Nicaragua): normal (low) seismic activity (updated 26 Sep 2013)
Tungurahua (Ecuador): strombolian activity, strong ash emissions (updated 3 Nov 2013)
Yasur (Tanna Island, Vanuatu): ash emissions, weak strombolian explosions (updated 20 Nov 2013)
Zhupanovsky (Kamchatka, Russia): new explosive activity since 23 Oct (updated 6 Nov 2013)

edit on 25-11-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Maybe it's not anything unusual.

And I agree with you on the ash cloud, or why wouldn't the other eruptions be talked about?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Here is another volcano that's acting up after a swarm of over 80 earthquakes this week. This one in Chile had a major eruption in May of 2008, but prior to that event it had lied dormant for 9,000 years.

haitén volcano (Chile): increased seismic activity
Increased seismic activity has been detected under the volcano, Chilean scientists reported.
The devastating Plinian eruption of Chaitén in May 2008 forced the evacuation of the entire population of the small coastal town of Chaitén, located only a few kilometers south of the volcano. After the initial explosive phase, several lava domes have been growing slowly by extrusion of degassed, viscous magma. This phase ended in 2011 and since then, the volcano has only produced degassing.
On 20 Nov at 08:07 (local time), a volcano-tectonic magnitude 2.4 earthquake occurred at 6 km depth north-east of the volcano. It was followed by a swarm of more than 80 quakes of mostly long-period type, characteristic for movements of fluids (gasses, water, and possibly magma) inside cracks inside the volcanic edifice. They are considered potential precursors to eruptive activity. In addition, pulses of volcanic tremor and a second volcanic-tectonic quakes of magnitude 2.7 at 11:39 local time, this time at shallow 4.4 km depth were recorded

Chaiten volcano news from Volcano Discovery

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsu322

Maybe not Gravitation, but Electromagnetism.

Exciting the Iron Core and Mantle...

I was thinking about another effect.

When you are sitting in a parked car and a big Mack truck flies by a foot away.

The car feels a low pressure between the truck and car and gets sucked to it a little. Everyone has felt that I'm sure.

Now picture that on a large scale. With the Earth or Mars as the Parked Car (or a lot slower moving compared) and the Comet being the Mack Truck travelling Super fast!

or

The comet creating a wake vortex ripple in space and a planet passing through it. Will it be like a Jet Flying through Turbulence??
edit on 25-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Mother just has a winter cold
,,,,it will pass.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

AbleEndangered
When you are sitting in a parked car and a big Mack truck flies by a foot away.

The car feels a low pressure between the truck and car and gets sucked to it a little. Everyone has felt that I'm sure.

Now picture that on a large scale. With the Earth or Mars as the Parked Car (or a lot slower moving compared) and the Comet being the Mack Truck travelling Super fast!

Except the relative scale is more like a parked car having a tracer (we can see it, after all)bullet fly past at a distance of a few meters.

It might sound like the comet is big, and it would, like a bullet, be fairly significant if it hit, however on an astronomical scale it is tiny. Mountain sized rocks flying through space don't have any real significant gravity of their own, and since there isn't enough tidal effects from the moon to trigger volcanic activity, ISON isn't going to do much.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I'm still waiting (and hoping) for the experts to come and let us know what they think of this activity. In their opinion is this just a bump in the road or highly unusual and something to be concerned about. I know there is also a lot of earthquake activity lately to. I'm seeing that a couple of posters are saying that it's basically, "a rough day that will pass" but why? Any of us can say that.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
These are not the droids you're looking for. Move along.
edit on 26-11-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Huh?

Oh well...silence as this thread goes quiet.

I'll take that as a "no comment"

I'm sure many of you know where my thinking is if you've read any of my past threads.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The planet is covered in volcanoes and sometimes several erupt at similar times. In the past, Indonesia alone has had over 30 volcanoes on serious alert at one time (with several of those erupting).

However, 7 starting eruptions on the same day could be something......or it could be nothing. Vulcanology is a developing scientific field where we really are only just starting to learn causes and the interplay between varying factors.

I think the weakening magnetic field (ready to flip) may have something to do with it but i certainly am not expecting any doom type scenarios! I just think reversing the flow field within the core may cause a bit of a magma surge (a bit like in the bath when you change the direction of the water, it surges before settling).

I have to say though, how could Ison have any impact at all? It is a little comet, nothing like the size of a planet so how could it affect gravity and tectonics on Earth? The only way Ison could change anything on Earth would be if it smashed into us (it won't).

Who knows though, geological processes tend to occur in cycles so maybe we are entering a new cycle of vulcanism. Even in that scenario i wouldn't be overly worried as they play out over millions of years so it would be our Ant overlords that should be really worried by then!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

terriblyvexed

Hiya,

Try this link to the Smithsonian Vulcanology Programme.

Smithsonian

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I didn't realize all this was going on... it sure explains my dreams lately and my wife's dreams.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join