It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tired Old Magician's Trick: Apocalyptic Thinking

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lostgirl

Sounds like a plan.

Might not be easy however.

I think they tried something like that with the TM movement
but it didn't work. Probably like any other field.. takes either
natural talent or training or both.

Unfortunately what we probably need is step-by-step one inch
at a time hard work. That's probably how we got into the mess
we are in, ya know?

KPB

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Where's that damn meteor??

That's the thing. Humans once had this really bloated
sense of how wonderful they are. I think that's been
chipped away now. I really do think that a good part
of the human race would love to go out in a 'blaze
of glory'. Am I right? Are we all that tired and have
most of us given up? It seems that way.

KPB

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

1Providence1
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

It's funny that the words "apocalyptic" or "apocalypse" have come to be synonymous with destruction and armageddon.

What happened to the technical definition: the revealing...?
edit on 22-11-2013 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

That's a great observation. People want destruction more than
the learning of wisdom, apparently.

KPB

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

So after thousands of years of oppression, we re all the sudden going to turn it around? This type of wishful thinking is right next door to the apocalyptic approach.

I so completely agree. You don't see me sitting and staring at
my navel, 'combating the collective'. Those 'spiritual forces'
are real and powerful; but without involving the 'real physical
world' all the mantra yodeling in the universe is useless. The
'blockages' are all here; the 'deceptions' all work themselves
out 'here'. Here, right here and now is just as real as any other
place.. in fact infinitely more real than the pure imagination.

That's why I write these posts and do the other things that I
do. I'd love to start a new socially-relevant business... I'd
like to do various very practical things.. and I DO some
practical things.. but I have limited time.

KPB

edit on 22-11-2013 by KellyPrettyBear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
R.E.M. - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - Disaster movies music video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIdPPVkkHYs
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

KellyPrettyBear

KPB

and the ones who do want wisdom and learning are bumped off or silenced by bigotry, racism and intolerance.
it's what is known as the human condition. unfortunately, only one sector of society at a time is deemed intolerant while everyone else feels better about their own intolerance. makes me wanna vomit.

it reminds me of that dude who was arrested for running a ponzi scheme and everyone had a good ole time lambasting him, especially the guys who run the biggest ponzi scheme of all time. then a good portion of those lambasting him, turned around 2 minutes later, and condemned anyone who pointed out the whole economic system is a giant ponzi scheme.

edit on 22-11-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

undo

KellyPrettyBear

KPB

and the ones who do want wisdom and learning are bumped off or silenced by bigotry, racism and intolerance.
it's what is known as the human condition. unfortunately, only one sector of society at a time is deemed intolerant while everyone else feels better about their own intolerance. makes me wanna vomit

You are right. I must admit curiosity about your personal story
that so strongly seems to influence your studies and
your writing.

KPB

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
We must prepare for the day of deliverance!!

Confess, Repent, Forgive, Thank, Love and Pray!!

Justin Bieber - Pray
www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tJW9MDs2M
www.youtube.com...

Bieber b4 the Illuminutty!

edit on 22-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: addition

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
welll it didn't really sink in for me, until i had spent some 10 years griping about mormonism. at the time, my family was in utah, the seat of the mormon headquarters. i condemned them, i complained, i called them evil, hypocrites, every bad term you can think of. then when we finally got to move out of there, i was so relieved and hoped i would never have to see another mormon missionary again...ever.

fast forward some 15 years, and a result of my own studies, i slowly start to realize that although i may not agree with everything they say, they are more right than i originally thought. this just slaps me upside the head into reality - that i was a bloomin' hypocrite. that i was evil. that i was all the things i said about them. and this is precisely the message jesus was trying to get across. we all suck and once we understand that, we have alot more compassion for others or at least understand better what another might be going thru. but at the rate i was learning this, the world was becoming less and less understanding and tolerant of me. this makes me want to puke, as it makes zero sense that the harder you try to do right, the worse your situation becomes.

the human condition is a real problem, for me, and for everyone else too

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
p.s. i'm not mormon

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

i like this one. you gotta watch this one

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

illumnutty? what do you mean? he joined a group?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

KellyPrettyBear

That and climate
change and the melting of subsurface methane
deposits and we could EASILY all be suffocated and
baked alive in under 1000 years. Maybe 500 years.

Suffocation is not the risk of methane clathrate destabilization.

Methane is a thermally insulative gas, ~100x as insulative as CO2 over the course of 20 years, and ~20x the insulator over 100 years.

More insulation means more heating, and rapid heating means blink-of-a-geological-eye climate shifting in any given area, and plants cannot adapt to rapid climate shifts. At best, they do much poorer than they would normally, and more likely for most plants, they die.

Recently (summer of this year) it was discovered that climate change that was once thought to take 10,000 years to happen (a 6C temperature increase) can happen in just over a decade (13 years according ice cores) if conditions are right, such as a heavy insulating gas (methane) covering the planet.

Long before humanity cannot breathe, it will die from famine. There will simply be nothing growing anymore, for a long, long time (several million years).

The cycle of methane hydrates sublimating has already started (around 2007), and its not going to stop until they are all released. Its a self reinforcing mechanism that accelerates itself the longer it is allowed to run.

To give you an idea, theres about 5 GT of methane in the atmosphere right now, and an estimated 500 - 1000 GT in the form of barely stable clathrates/hydrates. Warming oceans and to a lesser extent tundras, are going to keep releasing the methane until its all gone.

To put it simply, life on Earth is #ed.

edit on 11/23/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Well I feel better now!

But no, I was speaking about losing 40% of our
oxygen supply due to the ocean's plankton all
dying due to acidification due to over CO2
absorption.

Good point on the starvation!

KPB

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Does this mean I won't be able to use my "The end is coming because of______ (insert apocalypse of the day) so we might as well go back to my place and ____" line?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Kukri
Does this mean I won't be able to use my "The end is coming because of______ (insert apocalypse of the day) so we might as well go back to my place and ____" line?

ah man, sorry about that. I loved that scene in the movie Dogma!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The view of the original post is one I take into consideration.

But I think it's also probable that this kind of thinking is what actually keeps one in this hell, and keeps the Apocalypse at a distance. The Apocalypse being a good thing, the return of the spirit. I think it's probable that only when you so to speak give up completely in your efforts to try to change the world or resist any changes, and instead completely humble yourself and submit to God, that's when the Apocalypse starts to draw closer. The Apocalypse then is some kind of anti-climax; evil and fear gradually building up but then the return of the spirit happens, the second coming of Jesus. I think there might be someone or something in the outer world representing Jesus but mostly I think the outer world is an illusion, some kind of mirror of your mind, and the second coming is about yourself, some kind of ascension to higher dimensions or something like that.

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was very wealthy. Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

I think that this passage might be true and that it might be not only about money or material wealth but also about an attitude; that you can let go of everything that you're clinging onto without fear. Money means power and influence in the physical world, so it might be about giving up all your power without having fear. When I gave up all my plans on a career and stopped caring about what I was going to make of myself and my future I felt that I started moving closer to God and that the Apocalypse was drawing closer. I think that maybe how close the Apocalypse feels is individual, that we actually don't live in the same universe. That would explain why so many "skeptics" think that us conspiracy buffs are crazy and delusional.

“Do not call conspiracy everything this people calls a conspiracy; do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread. He will be a holy place; for both Israel and Judah he will be a stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall. And for the people of Jerusalem he will be a trap and a snare. Many of them will stumble; they will fall and be broken, they will be snared and captured.”
I think that the outer world might be an illusion, and some kind of mirror of your mind. Or at least that part of your mind that is identifying with the physical. And that when your outer world is becoming more and more evil, it's a test to see who will fight and cling, and go through the broad gate, and who will submit to God, and go through the narrow gate. It seems to me like the more I distance myself from the physical world, the closer I move to God, the more evil the outer world becomes, and the closer the Apocalypse draws. That's why I think the outer world might be a mirror of a part of us that is like the cocoon of a larva. It grows and grows, and becomes more and more evil, but then it crumbles and the butterfly spreads its wings and flies.
edit on 101130Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:10:17 -0600201317pAmerica/Chicago2013-11-23T01:10:17-06:0030 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

KellyPrettyBear

Kukri

ah man, sorry about that. I loved that scene in the movie Dogma!

Great movie Kelly!

I jest of course but I believe your point has validity. It's not unlike the constant fear motive (the terror alert bull*). One must just shrug it off and move on and hopefully not only improve ones own life but of those around you and maybe just maybe the positive attitude like a ripple on a pond moves out and touches more and more people.

I still have faith in humanity although it is tested on a more frequent basis than ever before. I'm fortunate to live in a caring community and seem to experience the best side of people. Maybe it's my attitude that allows me to see this (I am the pebble) rather than the negative side of people, maybe I gravitate to the right kind of person, but I think the positive is there in (virtually) everyone it just needs to be nurtured.

I used to be a very negative don't give a da* and trudge through existence shell of a person who didn't care for myself or anyone else but some good people came into my life and showed me the light (not religiously or metaphysically but more of an emotional/attitudinal sense) and it made me a much better person. I think a lot of people are lost and without direction or purpose which tends to be counterproductive and leads to a sense of hopelessness and a desire for escape whether it's the rapture, apocalypse or as you mentioned some other equally inane fantasy. Anyway thanks for the thread it gave me an opportunity to reflect.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Kukri

but I think the positive is there in (virtually) everyone it just needs to be nurtured.

I believe this too!
In fact I'm drawn to showing love and honesty to the deepest hard luck cases,
both religious and 'sinister'.

Thanks!

KPB

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join