It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Town Bans Smoking in Condos and Apartments That Share Walls

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
the right person cookin' chitlins will stink up 3 levels! it will actually cause a gag reflex in most people who are not accustomed to it. Vomit in the hallway is dangerous to the quality of life of others...

of course this prejudice has to be extended to our Indian, Ethiopian slash you name it neighbors too... I love Indian food and I'm a white guy... but let me tell you, you will sweat their spices from one meal for a week... and it doesn't say much for your walls either, most of the time a repaint will not rid the smell of cooking Indian food for any length of time... Indians only offend one level though (for those that do not like or recognize the food)
edit on 22-11-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Anything that causes a breach of the peace may be criminalized. Often civil disagreements are never properly acted upon so police do not intervene and attempt to restore the peace, nor is there an epidemic of curry and rice.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

DerbyGawker

Anything that causes a breach of the peace may be criminalized. Often civil disagreements are never properly acted upon so police do not intervene and attempt to restore the peace, nor is there an epidemic of curry and rice.

"owners" will be exempt form discrimination if they have their own HVAC system, that can be pretty much guaranteed after the state is sued enough times.

walls shared or not... alot of garden style condos have just that.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Speaking as someone with a lung disease (cystic fibrosis, something I was born with, not one brought by my own doing), breathing around cigarette smoke is difficult.

Whether it's dangerous to others' health or not, if you aren't used to the smell, it can be suffocating - even the smallest whiff of it.

Smoke all you like, but you have absolutely no right to enforce that on other human beings.

The whole "Wahhhh we can't smoke where we want to" mentality is ridiculous. You choose to smoke, deal with the fact that not everyone wants to breathe your habit in.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Doubtful, HVAC systems alone do not filter the appropriate micron size to effectively negate smoke particulates from leeching through walls. Nor does it eliminate the risks of burning down your neighbors adjoining residence (which is sad because a firewall could prevent such an issue).

Just wait until your insurance premiums begin to rise as more and more companies target smokers with increased penalties. The sale of cigarettes should just be outlawed for the public good just like crack and meth. If you want to grow your own pesticide and chemical-additive free tobacco, be my guest.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by Diabolical

Smoking should be banned inside apartments, only on windows, balconies or outside. If somebody fell asleep while smoking, which is one of the major causes of different house fires (when self-inflicted) , this can kill numerous other innocent people living in the same house simply because some idiot wanted to be "free".

Freedom should not involve setting the lives of others in danger.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

that is retarded..and I DONT EVEN SMOKE, getting tired of the anti smoking nazis..by yours and their logic we better ban candles, stoves, cooking, alcohol, automobiles..etc it will never end..take care of your sorry ass and ill take care of mine i dont need a nanny state directing all

now for a solution that would be fairly simple..a charcoal can filter with a 4" or 6" fan pulling x amount of cfm will absolutly filter out all..and way cheaper than hvac whch just blows it outside
good day
edit on 22-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'd smoke anyway. This is a freedom issue. They're trying to legislate aspects of human existence that should not be regulated.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm a life-long non-smoker. I tried it once when I was young and absolutely hated it, and haven't touched once since.

With that said, I have no problems with smoking or smokers at all. I remember visiting a friend of the family who ran the local bar when I was young (probably around 10 or 11), when smoking in bars was not illegal. It was like a thick London fog inside. You couldn't even see across the bar to the other wall, no joke. And it never bothered me, not then and not now. I tell other smokers if around me to light up if they wish, because I'm a mature adult who can handle a little tobacco smoke in the air around me without having a conniption fit.

I think every one of those studies that link second-hand smoke to health problems are bunk. I personally view virtually all anti-smoking laws as a minority of people legislating the behavior of a majority because they don't like it, and nothing more. And I have a real problem with that. Infact I get quite upset over them despite being a non-smoker myself.

Every year these laws get more ridiculous. People have to get further and further away, and jump through so many hoops, and personally inconvenience themselves to such a point in order to legally smoke a cigarette that I'm honestly expecting that they'll soon have to swim to a barge in the middle of a lake in order to smoke a cigarette. And even then there'd probably be some lobby attempting to outlaw that because the residual nicotine that gets introduced to the water has the potential to give a fish gill cancer.

Just make cigarettes illegal if smoking is that dangerous to every single individual in the world, no matter how far away they physically are from a cigarette. Outlaw all forms of tobacco, and make it a criminal offense to even have a filter end against your lips. Atleast that way these anti-smoking cronies will stop attempting to convince us all that they're doing it for everyone's health and well-being instead of merely controlling behavior they find unappealing.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Really? Why shouldn't your actions that affect others be regulated? Your use of vehicles are regulated under the very same grounds as this policy. Maybe we should decriminalize meth completely as well. Who cares if some homeless tweaker is lighting up right next to your residence and the lingering stench of burning plastic creeps through your senses.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

DerbyGawker

Maybe we should decriminalize meth completely as well.

We should do this anyways. We shouldn't be putting people in jail for putting something in their bodies, but that is a discussion for another thread.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by Diabolical

Smoking should be banned inside apartments, only on windows, balconies or outside. If somebody fell asleep while smoking, which is one of the major causes of different house fires (when self-inflicted) , this can kill numerous other innocent people living in the same house simply because some idiot wanted to be "free".

Freedom should not involve setting the lives of others in danger.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

You are the reason I despise overpopulation.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

ArchAngel_X
...because I'm a mature adult who can handle a little tobacco smoke...

Classic, attempt to define your opposition as immature for expecting the right to not be subjected to your nuisance when in actuality the more mature person would respect the right of the minority not to be subjected to such a nuisance.

This is the gradual introduction towards the criminalization of smoking, it's giving people time to reflect upon how their actions effect those around them and themselves and to attempt to ween themselves from the habit and quit.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Right. A freedom issue. But only YOUR freedom. You don't even consider the fact that the person living next to you has a reasonable expectation of freedom from objectionable odors you create. Does your next-door neighbor have a right to make homemade horseradish if the smell permeates your living space? Or is it more reasonable for them to take steps to prevent that from happening because the right thing to do is to show some consideration for your neighbors?

The problem is that people SHOULD be 'self-policing' and have a modicum of consideration for those around them --- but they don't. Doesn't matter if it's smoking, barking dog, crappy-ass middle of the night car alarms, loud music or whatever. Peoples' attitudes are al ME, ME, ME... and that's why we end up with laws like this. Didn't use to be this way.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

zillah
Speaking as someone with a lung disease (cystic fibrosis, something I was born with, not one brought by my own doing), breathing around cigarette smoke is difficult.

something on the order of 75%+ of your physical health... is mental

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Meth should absolutely be criminalized because it gives the state control over the individual to subject them to reformation. The problem is how we issue punishment. Imprisoning people for an addiction beyond their immediate control simply to imprison them is immoral, however punishing them for engaging in such a socially destructive behavior is perfectly within reason. They should be imprisoned to receive treatment and reflect, I certainly don't want irrational, delusional, agitated, paranoid people running around stealing copper and lighting up in park restrooms around children.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

^^ this, exactly.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

DerbyGawker

Doubtful, HVAC systems alone do not filter the appropriate micron size to effectively negate smoke particulates from leeching through walls. Nor does it eliminate the risks of burning down your neighbors adjoining residence (which is sad because a firewall could prevent such an issue).

Just wait until your insurance premiums begin to rise as more and more companies target smokers with increased penalties. The sale of cigarettes should just be outlawed for the public good just like crack and meth. If you want to grow your own pesticide and chemical-additive free tobacco, be my guest.

trust me man... we have hooka bars all around here in droves, I used to frequent one with an old roomie... I really like the cherry.

and these are businesses anyone can walk into... the thing is with concern to these place, it is like the past... our society and people had enough common sense not to walk into one if it offended them.

and ciggs are FSC now... in other words they go out if you stop puffing on it.

Fire Safe... Brought to you by... the United States government and the FDA

edit on 22-11-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

zillah
The whole "Wahhhh we can't smoke where we want to" mentality is ridiculous.

We've been used to that for decades and most adhere to it. The attitude we can't stand is the self righteous that set the perimeters and then change them when they decide it's time to screw with others. Smokers are such easy targets. I'll tell you as a smoker, we've been pushed far enough.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

SisyphusRide
something on the order of 75%+ of your physical health... is mental

Thank you for honing in on the one sentence in my post that I contributed to the conversation as an example, but overall has not much to do with the OP as the rest of my post does. Well done.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

intrepid
The attitude we can't stand is the self righteous that set the perimeters and then change them when they decide it's time to screw with others.

Unfortunately, that's only going to get worse. For everyone, everywhere; not just smokers. Everyone's actions impede on everyone else. No one in our society can stand that someone else has rights that they don't agree with, so they make a huge fuss about it until laws are bent and twisted and broken to the way they like them. Then someone else comes along who feels inhibited by the newest law, and the process starts all over again. It's a vicious circle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join