It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Bans Tobacco Sales to Anyone Under Age 21

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion/statement but I'd say it's about time somewhere made the laws between alcohol and cigs consistent with each other. I'd have made it legal to drink when 18 instead of going the other way round and making cigs illegal till 21 but personally I've always wondered why the age to drink/smoke/vote/serve in the military wasn't all the same age regaurdless of whether that's 21 or 18, I believe they should all consistently fall under one age.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

It worked so well at 18, lets double down. lol morons

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Stores and restaurants in NYC could stop selling their wares to the mayor and council members. Let them see what it is like to have someone else tell then what they can do. I know it won't work though - the greed for money prevents people from banding together in a case such as this.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

That's one thing I forgot about, I few years ago I came down with MAC (a common bacteria that is found everywhere), I suspect I contracted it when cleaning a dirty pool, anyway the Doc said if I was a non-smoker it would have killed me because I waited so long for treatment.

It was due to a chemical within the cigarette that kept it suppressed. Thanks for reminding me why I still smoke...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

I knew the "smoking kills" thing was a hoax the minute I started to see those Truth commercials and ads. They just reek of propaganda. Do you really think they actually care about other people?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

beezzer

You can also get an abortion as early as 14 without parental consent.

Just don't smoke afterwards.

Just as long as they still let you smoke during.
That's the important thing.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I do this at least once a year, sometimes more, but could be doing it nonstop.

I'll see a young boy or girl smoking, high school age, and I'll come up to them and say something like "If you keep that up you're going to be craving one of those things every 20 or 30 minutes for the next 50 years." And I make sure they get the concept. Probably useless to say that to them, but I would think it makes it a little more real to them to be shown that timeline of craving, and maybe along the way one or two of them take it to heart and stop picking the things up and lighting them.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Shdak
I been a smoker for 35+ years, and I wish that law was in effect here when I was younger... I would recommend it be moved to 26 years of age to be honest.

Smoking is bad for me (I know it) and it has taken it toll on me over the years... the youngsters just don't understand the effect it has over years, it slowly wears you down... when you first notice the major systems you will think your just out of shape... a few years more of smoking and you start noticing that a simple cold takes longer to get rid of or it worsens to a much more serious illness. I'm not even going to talk about the other things that could happen...

I don't want to preach, it's your life you can do what ever you want... and btw, I too don't agree with government making laws that are not equal across the board.

All I'm really saying is when I was younger I wasn't smart enough to look 20 - 30 years ahead, now that those years have passed I see the other side of the leaf so to speak.

edit on 11/21/2013 by Shdak because: Repeated word removed

Its not that simple like most things. The amount you have smoked the type of tobacco etc, all comes into it. Does it stop you eating? does it relieve stress? You age anyway not a lot you can do about that. Moderation in all things seems to be relevant thing to agree on here. forces.org... you must realise that living in a city environment will give you cancerous particulates equivalent to fourty untipped cigs a day. Nobody seems to banning the particulates. Or even mentioning the fact that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers. Im fed up with the whole BS and am now growing my own.

ditby]edit on 21-11-2013 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2013 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

Nice rant, but I think my post was lost on you to a great extent. I have lost 2 people with whom I was very close, an aunt and a dear friend, to lung cancer.

My Aunt was 57, smoked heavily for 40+ years. My friend was 45 and smoked heavily from the age of 15. Both heavy smokers, both died of lung cancer!!

Some people are able to smoke without it effecting their health, whilst others are not so fortunate. It's a gamble really isn't it?

ETA:- I am a smoker
edit on 22/11/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

My thoughts on this matter:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Raxoxane

My thoughts on this matter:

I agree. The main thing that's gets me, is the amount of Strontium that hit the atmosphere after all the atmospheric tests with the nuclear bombs. One of the reasons to vilify smokers is to take the heat of off these tests. God forbid a citizen campaign to get compensation for poisoning the air we breath. Smoking is going down, but why isn't the incidence of lung cancer?.. Oh yes! I forgot passive smoking. They knew when they were conducted the future health risks to the population, They didn't give a stuff then and they don't give a stuff now.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

chiefsmom
BTW, MI is trying to pass, or has passed a law that you cannot smoke, in your own car, if there is anyone under the age of 18 in the car. More legislating of stupidity is all it is.
edit on 21-11-2013 by chiefsmom because: afterthought

Yeah I can see how making it illegal to expose children to harmful substances is "stupidity". You presented such a clear and logical argument in contrast that I'm just speechless.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Im sorry to hear that.

But yes it could have been smoking, I would need to know the brand to see what was in them, the same substances that are used in tobacco is also used in every day products, did the people that died work with any of the substances below, do they have any of the substances in their house, what was the mattress they slep on made of, the dinner plates they ate their food from, the cooking utensils, did they bath in a plastic bath.

I could go on and on and on, but I will tell you something, imagine the lawsuits that would happen if you bought a product and gave you cancer, its better to blame smoking and say you knew the risks (you did it to yourself.

They are doing the same with diabetes, saying its lifestyle or in you genes from a grandfather or something, but the fact remains that their is an explosion in diabetes especially among new born babies.

Less people smoke than ever, a decrease of 25% in the UK alone yet cancer increases and now 1 in 5 die of cancer 20 years ago it was 1 in 50.

Do you remember the Beagul dogs that was the experiment thst decided that smoking causes lung cancer.

Thyy put masks on these dogs and made them smoke 24/7. after one month no cancer so they added other chemicals, after 3 months dogs were getting tumours on their legs, ears etc but not the lungs, they added more chemicals and more as the months went on and then after 9 months the majority of dogs had growths and organ failure but 3 dogs had lung cancer, The result they published that smoking causes lung cancer.

I know your freinds died and Im sorry but the fact that you blame smoking because they smoked is what we have been brainwashed to think,
30% of people who die are smokers and that is what they publish so smoking causes lung cancer, but 60% of non smokers die also of lung cancer.

Here is a list of chemicals used in tobacco, not all are used in tobacco but different brands have different mixtures.

You may be surprised to learn that some of these chemicals are in food such as childrens sweets and ice cream.

The brand I iuse is Organic and has no chemicals at all ( Pueblo), to put it into context, a pint of milk has over 5000 chemicals in it.

Acetaldehyde - this chemical is used in resins and glues. It is believed to be a carcinogen. Experts say it is likely that it facilitates the absorption of other dangerous chemical into the bronchial tubes.
Acetone - this chemical is used in solvents. It irritates the eyes, nose and throat. Long-term exposure can damage the liver and kidneys.
Acrolein - commonly used in herbicides and polyester resins. It is also used in chemical warfare. Acrolein is an ingredient in tear gas. It is very poisonous and irritates the eyes and upper respiratory tract.
Acrylonitrile - also known as vynil cyanide. Experts believe it is a human carcinogen. It is used in synthetic resins, rubber and plastics.
1-aminonaphthalene - in ingredient in weed killers. It is a known carcinogen.
2-aminonaphthalene - this substance causes bladder cancer. It is banned in industrial uses.
Ammonia - it is known to cause asthma and raise blood pressure. Ammonia is used in cleaners.
Benzene - used in gasoline, causes several cancers, including leukemia
Benzo[a]pyrene - this chemical is found in coal tar pitch, and creosote. It is a known carcinogen, especially for lung and skin cancers. It can also undermine human fertility.
1,3-Butadiene - it is used in latex, rubber and neoprene products. Experts believe it is most likely a carcinogen.
Butyraldehyde - this chemical affects the lining of the lungs and nose. It is used in solvents and resins. It is a powerful inhalation irritant.
Cadmium - a known carcinogen. It damages the brain, kidneys and liver. Cadmium is used in non-corrosive metal coatings, storage batteries, pigments, and bearings.
Catechol - it elevates blood pressure and irritates the upper respiratory tract. It can also cause dermatitis. Catechol is used as an antioxidant in oils, inks and dyes.
Chromium - known to cause lung cancer. It is used in wood treatment, wood preservatives, metal plating and alloys. Those involved in welding have the greatest risk of exposure.
Cresol - acute inhalation can cause throat, nasal and upper respiratory irritation. It is used in disinfectants, wood preservatives and solvents.
Crotonaldehyde - a warning agent in fuel gasses. Experts say it messes up the human immune system. It can also cause chromosomal changes.
Formaldehyde - part of the resin used in foam insulation, plywood, fiberboard and particleboard. It can cause nasal cancer, as well as damaging the digestive system, skin and lungs.
Hydrogen Cyanide - some states use this chemical in their gas chambers for executions. It weakens the lungs and causes fatigue, headaches and nausea. It is used in the production of acrylic plastics and resins, and can also be a fumigant.
Hydroquinone - has a detrimental effect on the central nervous system. Also causes eye injuries and skin irritation. It is used in varnishes, motor fuels and paints.
Isoprene - similar to 1,3-butadiene. It causes skin, eye and mucous membrane irritation. It is used in rubber.
Lead - lead damages the nerves in the brain, as well as the kidneys and the human reproductive system. Lead intake can also cause stomach problems and anemia. It is a known carcinogen and is particularly toxin to children. Lead is used in paint and metal alloys.
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) - depresses the human nervous system, irritates the eyes, nose and throat. MEK is used in solvents.
Nickel - a known carcinogen, nickel also causes bronchial asthma and upper respiratory irritation.
Nitric Oxide - this is a major contributor to smog and acid rain. It is made by gasoline combustion. Scientists say it is linked to a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease and asthma.
NNN, NNK, and NAT - NNN and NNK are known carcinogens and NAT might be one. The three compounds are unique to tobacco. NNN may also cause reproductive problems. NNK is closely linked to lung cancer risk.
Phenol - this highly toxic substance is harmful for the CNS (central nervous system), cardiovascular system, respiratory system, the kidneys and liver. It is used in resins in plywood and construction materials.
Propionaldehyde - irritates the respiratory system, skin and eyes. It is used as a disinfectant.
Pyridine - irritates the eyes and upper respiratory tract. It also causes nervousness, headaches and nausea. Experts say it might cause liver damage. This substance is used in solvents.
Quinoline - it is used for stopping corrosion and also as a solvent for resins. It is a severe eye irritant, is harmful to the liver, and causes genetic mutations. Experts believe it may be a carcinogen.
Resorcinol - irritates the eyes and skin. It is used in resins, adhesives (glue) and laminates.
Styrene - irritates the eyes, may slow down reflexes, and causes headaches. It is linked to a higher risk of leukemia. This substance is used in fiberglass, pipes, plastic and insulation materials.
Toluene - causes confusion, memory loss, nausea, weakness, anorexia, and drunken movements. It is also associated with permanent brain damage. The chemical is used in resins, oils and solvents.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Modern life is a gamble' i use to much bleach in the house as I have a few cats, look at wireless networks, we all know they cause brain cancer but we do take the risk as it is really worth it.

Even the electircity thats pumped into our homes, we only use 25% and 75% goes I don't know where.

Their are thousands and thousands of ways to get this modern illness cancer.

We know cars cause cancer in children, yet we all still drive, cancer causing agents are in the petrol, but there we go we all sit in traffic with our kids in the car, letting them breath in the fumes through the air vents.

And then we get moral and want to ban smoking in cars ?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

beezzer

You can also get an abortion as early as 14 without parental consent.

Just don't smoke afterwards.

Since no (dis)respectable 14YO is gonna 'do it' without a post-coital smoke, we can credit Bloomberg for killing two birds with one stone!!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I want to add one more statement to this thread, we have looked at the chemicals angle of cancer but not the food,

Its know that red meat causes cancer ( to much of it anyway)

And they always punt white meat as good for you.

When I was younger I worked on a farm that raised free range hens.

The farmer asked if I liked chicken, I said yes, he said well promise me this, that if you must eat it, only eat the breast and throw the rest away and never pick at the carcass, because a hens bones are riddled with cancer.

up until then I loved the leg but have been a vegetarian for 20 years now.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyGawker

But don't you see' the fact that you have already got them in the car you don't really care about kids health, its all about convenience, convenience for and convenience to blame smokers for everything.

Leukemia in kids is caused by drivers, never existed years ago, it is a direct result of driving, so every time you fill up your car think about it.

People that blame smokers are the same as people that eat a 3 Mc donalds and then order a can of diet coke trying the healthy option once the damage is done.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

pavmas

But don't you see' the fact that you have already got them in the car you don't really care about kids health, its all about convenience, convenience for and convenience to blame smokers for everything.

Leukemia in kids is caused by drivers, never existed years ago, it is a direct result of driving, so every time you fill up your car think about it.

People that blame smokers are the same as people that eat a 3 Mc donalds and then order a can of diet coke trying the healthy option once the damage is done.

It has absolutely nothing to do with convenience, it has everything to do with what's practical. Driving a mile is lazy, driving 10 miles is common sense.

Benzene in fuel isn't going to give you cancer unless you drink or huff it like an idiot. It isn't benzene once it's burned. Most benzene absorption occurs through skin contact (touching plastics), if dashboards and plastics are heated they will release it as vapor. However, there is a huge difference between mitigating exposure for practical purposes such as vehicular travel, and just being a terrible adult by smoking in front of children.

To say it's a direct result of driving is so ridiculous it's not even funny. Benzene is a natural chemical and has been synthesized since before automobiles even existed, even perfumes used it. The primary method of exposure to benzene is in plastics, not fuels.

Your last argument is nothing but a nonsensical straw-man. How can you (in good conscience) even remotely compare the willful exposure of children to smoking to an adults personal decision to eat McDonalds? One is a decision that entirely effects the individuals health whereas smoking harms anyone near.

If you want to argue that people shouldn't complain about smoking in front of children if they themselves feed their children fast food, I agree. And both will be illegal soon enough thankfully.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I gave mc donalds as an example.

Eating mc donalds and then asking for a diet coke is pointless,
banning smoking in cars whilst sitting in traffic is pointless.

If you believe that fumes from vehicles are not more dangerous than smoking I have a little experiment for you.

Go into your garage and close the doors and smoke for as long as you wish, just come out when your hungry, you will live another 30 40 50 60 years and have no problems.

Next day go into your garage and shut the doors and start your car, I hope for your sake someone finds you because you will be lucky to live for another 30 minutes,

In the Uk there as many vehicles as there is smokers, they are trying to ban smokers from smoking outside now but ignoring the fumes, I live in a city and the sky is black with the fumes.

Listen Im just giving you the facts' if it makes you feel better thinking its safe then thats up to you.

Nasty smoker that I am.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It's no use trying to have a reasonable discussion with smokers because like other drug addicts, they are physically addicted to something. Doesn't matter if it's nicotine or heroin, they'll fight about it with every reasonable, rational or unreasonable, irrational and emotional argument at their disposal.

If smoking is so great, then why do so many people claim to want to quit?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join