It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Bans Tobacco Sales to Anyone Under Age 21

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Black_Fox

(ABCnews.com)-Mayor Michael Bloomberg signed landmark legislation Tuesday banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under the age of 21, making New York the first large city or state in the country to prohibit sales to young adults.

During a brief ceremony at City Hall, Bloomberg said raising the legal purchase age from 18 to 21 will help prevent young people from experimenting with tobacco at the age when they are most likely to become addicted. City health officials say 80 percent of smokers start before age 21.

abcnews.go.com...

Im gonna just post a comment from the comment section of the article that sums up my thoughts pretty well.

"RealityChek4you -Young adults! NY has decided that you are not mature or intelligent enought to know whether or not you should smoke. Or drink.
However, you are mature and intelligent enough to vote. You are mature enough to sign a contract, understand finance, commit to thousands of dollars in student debt in hopes of a career that will help you pay it back. You are also mature and intelligent enough to commit to serve in the US Armed Forces, and put yourself in harms way in service of our country.
You just can't smoke or drink while you're doing it, mmmkay? Big Daddy Gov knows best."

It still boggles me how it's quite alright to send the 18 yr olds to a #hole dirt trap halfway across the world to die for some fat asses on wall st but it's not ok if they smoke or drink alcohol, what a bunch of fat bastard hypocrites. I think we should put Wall streeters on front lines as cannon fodder. and tell them they can't have their smokes or alcohol!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

ldyserenity

Black_Fox

(ABCnews.com)-Mayor Michael Bloomberg signed landmark legislation Tuesday banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under the age of 21, making New York the first large city or state in the country to prohibit sales to young adults.

During a brief ceremony at City Hall, Bloomberg said raising the legal purchase age from 18 to 21 will help prevent young people from experimenting with tobacco at the age when they are most likely to become addicted. City health officials say 80 percent of smokers start before age 21.

abcnews.go.com...

Im gonna just post a comment from the comment section of the article that sums up my thoughts pretty well.

"RealityChek4you -Young adults! NY has decided that you are not mature or intelligent enought to know whether or not you should smoke. Or drink.
However, you are mature and intelligent enough to vote. You are mature enough to sign a contract, understand finance, commit to thousands of dollars in student debt in hopes of a career that will help you pay it back. You are also mature and intelligent enough to commit to serve in the US Armed Forces, and put yourself in harms way in service of our country.
You just can't smoke or drink while you're doing it, mmmkay? Big Daddy Gov knows best."

It still boggles me how it's quite alright to send the 18 yr olds to a #hole dirt trap halfway across the world to die for some fat asses on wall st but it's not ok if they smoke or drink alcohol, what a bunch of fat bastard hypocrites. I think we should put Wall streeters on front lines as cannon fodder. and tell them they can't have their smokes or alcohol!

That says it all!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
"Young adults! NY has decided that you are not mature or intelligent enought to know whether or not you should smoke. Or drink."

Makes sense if this is NY, so they are also not allowed to join the military or vote before 21 because they are not smart enough to make decisions of any kind.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Em2013
"Young adults! NY has decided that you are not mature or intelligent enought to know whether or not you should smoke. Or drink."

Makes sense if this is NY, so they are also not allowed to join the military or vote before 21 because they are not smart enough to make decisions of any kind.

EXACTLY!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

dukeofjive696969
So sad how governments have there priorities all messed up, trying to ban big soft drinks, then raising the legal age to buy smokes, wow.

Education and healthcare is the way of the future

No. They don't have their priorities messed up. They're controlled by people who make money milking health insurance customers. Making sure those people rarely get sick means more profit and less loss.

Always remember. Health insurance is a business. They couldn't stay in business very long if they weren't making more money than they're spending. There is going to be a lot more where this came from in the near future. It's going to get so bad in this country that you will not be allowed to do anything that is bad for your health even if you know exactly what you're doing and you don't care about the consequences.

Healthcare is your future gilded cage.
edit on 30-11-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Here is the only thing people should notice from this.

The "purchase" age has been raised. Purchase law is a law on your right to exist: "You may not. You cannot. You are not allowed to". The government has zero right, none, either written or otherwise, to limit what people can purchase.

The government has every right, rightly or wrongly, to limit what people sell. You'll notice the text in this account is "purchase" and not "sell." It is fine to say, "cigarette manufacturers cannot sell to those under 21" as it limits commerce, but this law is simply unconstitutional and immoral as it limits the rights of a HUMAN to act. Companies exist at the whim of the government/king and trade in "dollars" so the creator of the dollars has the right to govern their use, but humans are not subject to the same oversight. Unless...

Unless they agree to it. By accepting the language of "purchase" under the name of "oh the children," folks have accepted oversight in their humanness. Don't get me wrong, smokes are a crime on all levels The only reason take up the habit is to be cool - there is no other reason. And in order to be cool you have to fill your body with god knows what. Tobacco is not the issue, but the world of Pall Mall's is.

Language. It will be the downfall of all of humanity as they do not understand what is going on around them.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
What should be done is raising the enlistment age to minimum 21.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
All tobacco should be banned nationwide.

All of it.

In its place ban Monsanto lobbyists from stopping farmers from asking to grow hemp.
Hemp is stronger than cotton, as strong as nylon.
Nylon requires petroleum in the process
Hemp dont, just plant it, one could argue tractors use but nylon requires it at all stages.

Plus we could replace opiates in this country with medical marijuana. Its impossible to OD on marijuana. Its not addicting, and no one has ever had an adverse health reaction to marijuana noted.

I'm on tons of opiates and would love to swap them and not take them anymore

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Are they trying to get people to riot or something? They keep cutting out all sorts of s#it. S#it that gets people though the damn day!

Its weird, I keep hearing about how much they take from the people of NYC, and Im like "Okay, riot in 3 2 1..."

Still nothing yet.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Cito

All of it.

In its place ban Monsanto lobbyists from stopping farmers from asking to grow hemp.
Hemp dont, just plant it, one could argue tractors use but nylon requires it at all stages.

Plus we could replace opiates in this country with medical marijuana. Its impossible to OD on marijuana. Its not addicting, and no one has ever had an adverse health reaction to marijuana noted.

Opiates and marijuana should be banned nationwide. How does that make you feel? If I had the power to do that would you be happy? I doubt it. Dont make decisions for the rest of the people in this country.

I think that marijuana should be legal, and smoking should be left the hell alone. Banned nation wide? HUH, fascist.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

My mother in law almost lost a leg because of her smoking habit.
She had to have a bypass done in her leg because the ulcer on her ankle would not heal.
All due to smoking. And a really nice scar from hip to ankle as a memento. Oh and she won't quit smoking after all that.

So granted smoking doesn't kill you. It's the stuff that smoking damages in your body that kills you.

Just because smoking doesn't kill you doesn't mean it's good for you and that you should be doing it.
edit on 2-12-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

My wife has problems with the circulation in her legs and can't manage up the stairs.

She has a heart murmur, has had a growth in her thyroid the size of an orange, she has had a lump in her breast removed.

her dad died aged 48 from a heart attack. none of the 2 smoke or smoked.

I have smoked since 9 had none of these not one, my grand dad smoked and lived to be nearly 100 till they killed him by removing food and water, my father smoked "woodbine" and was in perfect health but died in a fire aged 76.

Im 54 my brother a non smoker died at 50 after his organ shut down.

Smoking does not agree with some people just as eating nuts does not agree with some people.

But to blame it everything on smoking is a joke,

If your mum never smoked they would move on to the next one saying lack of excercise or to many transfats etc,

If I get cancer or take a stroke or have a heart attack they will blame smoking despite 80% of the population dying of one of these yest only 25% smoke

its a con

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Tylerdurden1

Cito

All of it.

Opiates and marijuana should be banned nationwide. How does that make you feel? If I had the power to do that would you be happy? I doubt it. Dont make decisions for the rest of the people in this country.

I think that marijuana should be legal, and smoking should be left the hell alone. Banned nation wide? HUH, fascist.

Government have no right banning anything, but as they have done with smoking they will say second hand smoke causes the damage, this is their excuse to ban or impose higher taxes.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace
reply to post by pavmas

I knew the "smoking kills" thing was a hoax the minute I started to see those Truth commercials and ads. They just reek of propaganda. Do you really think they actually care about other people?

I have said it again and again, governments hate the poor and the disabled, the are cutting food stamps making it illegal to feed the homeless.

They have cops setroting what little the homeless have and want to put them in camps out of town.

Do you really think that if there was any truth in the smoking kills that they would make sure that.

Smokes were very cheap, given free to homeless disabled and unemployed.

THINK! people think.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join