It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living it up on the tax payers dime a weeks worth of food stamps

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

crazyewok
Why the hell should he eat crap and live in poverty?

Having fresh baked chicken and rice and beans and veggies home made stews (which we all suggested) isn't 'eating crap and living in poverty'. The food he showed - soda and frozen pies and flavored microwaveable rice is 'eating crap'.

Why should he not be able to "treat" himself?

For the same reason that I don't treat myself ... He can't afford it and neither can I.
I could buy a half gallon of ice cream for $5.00 ...
Or I could buy a package of 12 chicken thighs on sale at ACME.
Which makes more sense, especially when you are short of money???

crazyewok
Realise that he is on DISABILITY, he may not be able or capable of standing and cooking for long peroids of time or able to follow instructions, ever thought about that ?

He didn't say it was THAT kind of disability. He said it was a different one.
(mental health one)

No your to busy condeming people.

Knock it off. That's moronic. The guy came on here complaining because he couldn't get enough to eat with his entitlement, but the picture he put up showed a real big waste of money on his part. Telling him how to shop better isn't 'condemning him'.

You people who are complaining about those telling him to shop smarter are seriously wonky.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
TRUE STORY

I have a friend who was highly offended that I told him I shouldn't have to pay for his Obamacare. He called me a spoiled entitled rich guy with no feelings for anyone else. Then the liberal crowd jumped onboard holding their torches at me. Meanwhile his excuse is he works 60 hours a week waiting tables but can't afford to live in Manhattan and pay for health insurance. He goes on to ask why I should chastise him for wanting to live in Manhattan and have insurance.

There's a huge disconnect with many people and welfare has obviously become far too easy to attain. My "friend" feels he shouldn't have to move or commute from someplace he can afford to live but instead should be subsidized by spoiled rich assholes like me who have made the difficult choices to get to where they are. I used to commute over two hours each way for a RETAIL job because it was all I could get. I would have loved to live on Ocean drive in South Beach but I couldn't afford it. I would love to go move to Dubai and have all the elite billionaires have to pay for it. To make a long story short this same friend/crybaby who feels entitled to Obamacare groveling about how he otherwise wouldn't be able to afford insurance was on facebook last week talking about buying a $900 ukulele for when he's bored at work. Irony..

The fact that EBT is taken at liquor and convenience stores is evidence alone the program is utterly broken. From a budgetary standpoint the biggest drain on our economy is the baby boomers retirement entitlements not foodstamps.
edit on 18-11-2013 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

crazyewok
Rather than ranting like a fool.

Telling someone to spend more responsibly isn't foolish. It's smart.
Actually, you look like the one ranting. Grow up.

what do expect him to do live a dissmal difficult life ?

- I expect him to live like the rest of us ... within our budgets and shop smartly.
- It isn't a 'dismal and difficult life' to have fresh baked chicken and rice rather than soda and pie.

crazyewok
Well thats comes down to what quality of life do you want the ill and vunrable to have?

Oh knock it off. What it comes down to is expecting people to spend the money they are given WISELY. If you had bothered to read the thread before ranting, you'd know that.

By your standards and very low dissmal quality of life with nothing to live for....

People can live on chicken and rice and beans and generic cereal etc etc just fine.
It's not a 'dismal quality of life not worth living for'.
Soda and pies aren't necessary to 'living a life worth living'.

Your of able body and mind you can work harder to get better things ...

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

And as I said .. if you had bothered to read the thread before ranting ... you'd know that I said we had been on welfare and 'free lunches' for a number of years, and during those years we didn't indulge in ice cream or pies or soda or ____ fill in comfort food of choice. We had lots of sandwiches and pasta and our 'meat' was 'fried balogna' and we had lots of rice and beans. It's COMMON SENSE to shop wisely with what you have rather than blow it on junk food.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
You can get Papa Murphy's take-n-bake pizzas on EBT/SNAP/food stamps.

Personally, I think that is a bit much...

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks for bringing logic in here FF,

To The Op.

When people post there problems online for all to see and with pics please don't get upset when one offers their opinion you asked for it.

Also to add how the hell is soda and pies going to get you healthier? Maybe if you cut the soda out you might feel better. Do you drink diet soda or regular?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Instead of soda and SaraLee pie and Stove Top Stuffing you could have bought a few loaves of bread, jars of peanut butter and honey, and boxes of spaghetti. Instead of the instant flavored rice you could have bought a huge box or two of minute rice .. or gotten a good sized bag of plain rice that would have been better for you and lasted a lot longer. Why buy a jar of olives when you could get a small bag of potatoes?

Instead of canned chicken you could have bought fresh chicken thighs and cooked them yourself.
2 large cans of chicken = 10$
2 packages of chicken thighs = $10 (and you get at least 10 thighs).

I know you are looking for sympathy, but what I see is someone wasting the money on lazy crap.

If you would cook for yourself instead of getting the instant stuff, your money would go farther.

edit on 11/17/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

People do not need meat. Large sack of beans and a large sack of rice and you can eat healthy with a few greens added.This is the cheapest way to get balanced nutrition really cheap. My Mother used to buy 100 lb bag of potatoes also the first of the month.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

And at the ACME store here in town, you can get those expensive Healthy Choice MEALS ... just toss it in the microwave and eat it when it comes out ... on sale many times for $2.50 each. Yep a full portioned ready-to-eat meal. $2.50 when on sale. Just fine for those who have problems with being able to stand or walk in the kitchen. (btw - which is NOT what the OP said he had problems with)

At Target and Walmart, bags of cereal on sale for 2$. Enough cereal for breakfast a good two weeks. Not name brand Kellogs or Post ... but generic cereal that feeds a person just as well.

From the OPs picture ....
A Sara Lee Frozen Pumpkin Pie is at least $9.00. At least around here.
Two big sodas were probably $3.00, again based on prices here.

Right there that's $12.00 that could have bought 6 bags of cereal that could have provided 3 months worth of breakfast cereal for one person.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

My thoughts exactly when I saw the pic in the OP.

Right now I'm in GA. I shop either wal mart or Krogers. At walmart, those pasta sides are $1 each. Starkist tuna is top shelf. Olives are a luxury. Campbells soup is top shelf. Jars of gravy are laziness items. Soda and pies are not necessary to a healthy diet, but an unnecessary expense.

The many varieties of alternative choices have already been mentioned. I'll just add, buy store brands. I know those brands won't be quite as tasty, but they are essentially the same thing. Add spices to your taste. Buy a whole chicken. Cut it up yourself. You get 2 breasts and 2 leg/thigh sections. That's 4 meals right there. Use the wings and back pieces to make soup.

Buy a 1lb. box of spaghetti, and a large jar of inexpensive sauce. $3-4 more will get you a package of hot Italian sausage, usually 5 links. 5 more meals.

A 50 cent box of mac & cheese, along with store brand tuna, is a meal.

A bag of flour goes a long way. Cheap margarine (tho I prefer real butter) and flour, make a white sauce. Add a can of drained tuna, pour it over toast or rice.

I budget myself to $50 a week. By buying bulk items (rice, flour, pasta, etc.) when needed, I can then 'splurge' on family packs of blade steaks or the variety packs of pork chops.

There are numerous ways to make a dollar stretch, if you just take control of your situation. Don't let your situation take control of you.

( I doubt the OP will see this tho. He/she seems to have vacated the thread)

edit on 18-11-2013 by 2ndthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Char-Lee
My Mother used to buy 100 lb bag of potatoes also the first of the month.

We were on welfare and got free school lunches for a few years. When I was a kid we'd go out with my mother into the 'fields' in town and find dandelions to dig up and cook. The leaves are like spinach leaves and you cooked them the same way. They didn't taste nearly as good, they were bitter. But they were free and they provided nutrition.

We ate a lot of rice and beans. Lots of spaghetti noodles too.
We drank water. Not soda.
Our 'treat' was a few slices of fried bologna.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Here is my 2 cents and it will save you some cash (if you're able)

I grow my own fruits and vegetable year around. Summer time I have a garden, winter time I have an in door garden with 2 - 1000watt HPS lights. Monthly cost for the lights running 18 hours a day is around $53.00 a month. Saving me about $175.00 a month if I bought the fruits and veggies at the store.

I have 4 chickens that give me fresh eggs every day, saving me $2.00 to $3.00 per 18 eggs. I feed them from the over growth from the garden. When they become to old to lay eggs, I will eat them. A new egg laying chick cost $2.50 about every 4 to 6 months.

Water used for the above is from rain water distilled (boiled).

I buy milk, meat and some can foods from the store every month from the saving made above.

This will take some work, not hard work. So if you're able or can get some people to help make this happen, you can save a lot.

The garden can even be grown if you live in an apartment living, but having chickens will be a little harder to get away with it.

Just an idea to help you and any other people that read this.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I face a lot of challenges when it comes to food/cooking. About 11 years ago I had bariatric (gastric bypass) surgery. I don't much at a time, but I do "graze" all day.

To give you an idea of how much I can eat at a time, I'll get a Mighty Kids Chicken McNugget Happy Meal. I'll have a couple fries (literally) and then eat about 5 of the 6 nuggets. I can't eat/drink at the same time, so I'll usually come back to the drink later.

Now, it's just myself and my girl that I have to cool for -- so I have to scale down a lot of recipes. I end up making a lot of casseroles and soups because they hold well.

I think $6-7 per person for dinner is about right if you're doing the actual cooking. I'm with AlaskanDad; milk is almost $6 a gallon and the cheapest white bread is still $2 a loaf. Food is very expensive up here, and the produce is horrendous.

Another cheap breakfast is a few fried eggs and fried SPAM. Get some butter and slap it on some toast. BAM! I personally don't mind SPAM at all if it's cooked. Heck, I'll eat it out of the can with mustard.

Oh, those Banquet pot pies in the orange box are super cheap. Usually under $1 each. I don't know why I like them, because they really are pretty crappy.

EDIT: Oh, I've also used left over McDonald's chicken nuggets in a stir fry. Diced them up and threw them into the wok with the veggies. It actually turned out really good!
edit on 18-11-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Oh my god I love dandelion salad and my grandmother use to make a dandelion drink that was awesome.

It's also a great cleanser.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I remember Thelma, the neighborhood "Mom" that provided a second home for us unruly kids...

She used to buy frozen dinner rolls and form them into individual pie crusts to be used as pizza crust.
She'd get some canned pizza sauce, a package of pepperoni, some shredded cheese and voila!

It's only appetizing when it's not the same thing night after night. It is comfort food though, if only to make a batch every other week.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

thesaneone
Oh my god I love dandelion salad and my grandmother use to make a dandelion drink that was awesome.

Was it dandelion wine?
That's the poor mans homemade brew ....

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

FlyersFan

For the same reason that I don't treat myself ... He can't afford it and neither can I.

Except you can (by your tea party values) work harder and change your life. He cant. He is stuck on what ever hand outs he can get unless his condition goes away.

FlyersFan
He didn't say it was THAT kind of disability. He said it was a different one.
(mental health one)

Are you a doctor? Do you have a any sort of education in Neurological diseases or Neuro pharmacology’s?
No ? Well then you have no grounds to judge what he is or is not capable of, ESPECIALY over the internet without seeing him.

Now I do have some education in the last one ( Neuropharmacology) and I can say with Schizophrenia I cant blame him if some days he does not have the energy or willpower to cook. You know anything about Schizophrenia or its treatment? The treatment is basicaly a chemical labotomy. What he said about wakeing up in the morning feeling like hes head if full of nova cain? Well that likley a understatement.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

TRUE STORY

MY STORY

Blew both my hips out and I have a bulging disk in my back that is now pressing on a nerve. Permanent nerve damage has been suggested to me because I have other issues I care not to discuss. I never had issues with my back or hips until working an assembly line for a major corporation. All of my hip and back issues stem from a repetitive work injury working at this corporation. To date one of my hips has been "repaired" and nothing else. I have received 14,000 dollars for my injuries.

I have a new condition now that I just got out of the hospital for last Wednesday. On 11-12-13 oddly enough I had 3 coronary vasospasms. The second equated to a major heart attack. We make a huge effort to eat as well as we can. We don't smoke. We don't do drugs. All these things tend to be a culprit to this condition.

Stress is another factor which I must confess I fall prey to. I cant help it. I cant work right now and my ol lady is shouldering the responsibility of me as well as our 3 year old son. She went to school for 2 years to become a surgical tech but after being laid off from her first job in the field and having our son has since retrained as a CNA to better her chances at finding work since the scrub tech roles are few and far between. She has gotten a job at a hospital and in fact as I am typing is going for her physical right now so she can actually start the position. The hiring process has gone on for about a month so far and she isn't done yet.

The point is that my son is the only one of us with insurance right now and I just had a major medical issue that included an ambulance ride to the E-room, X-rays, EKG's, And a trip to the Cath lab where they ran a very long needle up through my groin and pumped dye into my heart to find a blockage. According to the doctor I am very lucky. No blockage, very little plaque, and a minimal amount of damage to my heart from the attack.

I should be happy just to be alive and I am but I do worry which increases my risk. Why should I worry? How we going to pay for all this?!?

I worked hard and got dumped on by the corporation that caused my injuries when I was no longer an asset.

So are you saying that my son shouldn't have his dad because you worked hard and have been lucky? Should my ol lady be left alone to raise our son cause you might see me as lazy?

This is what my experience has been .... For every self righteous story like yours there are hundreds like mine. Treat each individual as they come and stop throwing a blanket on segments of society because you are to lazy, jaded, cold, and calloused to learn the truth.

edit on 18-11-2013 by SuicideBankers because: typos

edit on 18-11-2013 by SuicideBankers because: typos and content

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

FlyersFan
[
NOT EVEN CLOSE.

And as I said .. if you had bothered to read the thread before ranting ... you'd know that I said we had been on welfare and 'free lunches' for a number of years, and during those years we didn't indulge in ice cream or pies or soda or ____ fill in comfort food of choice. We had lots of sandwiches and pasta and our 'meat' was 'fried balogna' and we had lots of rice and beans. It's COMMON SENSE to shop wisely with what you have rather than blow it on junk food.

Being on welfare for unemployment and disabilty should be two entiley diffrent things. The first one should just be a support until you get another job, living on hard times and cutting back being only temporraly until you find employment again. Disability can be a long term or permanent thing and the support should be able to give them a good and happy quality of life. Forceing the ill to live on the breadline is to me immoral. Im all for a minimal safetly net, but not when it comes to disabilty. I was on it once and luckly in a country that takes very good care of its sick and vunrable (well at least in the past), being able to focus on getting better and not haveing to worry about were my next meal was comeing from help me get better quicker and back to work.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Good lord no. My family makes our own Sicilian red wine just good grapes and time.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Are you suggesting that the disabled should have to forage for food? Should they also dumpster dive?

I have to assume you posters that wish to criticize the disabled for buying sweets would agree with Bloomburgs soda size restrictions? Your all using the same argument.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SuicideBankers

Your story sounds a lot like my own.

Several ruptured disc in the lumbar region, one of which almost cut through my artery. Add to this a bone metabolism disorder and epilepsy and you get a hip which breaks constantly, and several thoracic vertabrae which are over 75% compressed (fractures) but are unable to heal due to my bones not working. So, my back has been broken in several places for over 2 years now, and it just continues to break more each day.

The government has dubbed me perfectly fit for work in any field, and has denied me assistance. So, to say I have some issues with those abusing the system might be putting it mildly. That said, many dont know how to make that money stretch and ARE in real need of help. It doesnt help that "good food" is some of the priciest and trendiest in the grocery store.

I am currently working on (one of many things..) creating an aquaponics based system that has accessibility software that drives most of it. Ideally, people like me will be able to grow their own food even with massive physical problems. Its all part of a much bigger project, but one I think might actually help people in situations like myself significantly more than just throwing money at it.

I plan on releasing all information on it for free (the software I am writing, construction, etc), but will provide pre-manufactured pieces at a reasonable cost. Open source.
By helping myself this way, I hope it can also help others more than the government (who seems hellbent on collapsing our economic system)..

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join