It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Ison suddendly Outburst!! make it Naked Eye Sight :)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

alfa1

Riffrafter
An Iridium flare?

Do you mean from one of the Iridium satellites? Are they falling to earth & burning up?

The Iridium satellites have a big flat antenna on them, about the size of a door if I recall correctly.
At very specific times, a viewer on the ground can see the sun reflected back at them, like as with a mirror.

The effect is that the satellite goes from being its normal "too dim to see", to "very very bright", and then back to "too dim to see".
All in the space of about 10 - 15 seconds.

The flareups for any location can be calculated, and heavens-above is a good website for that.

Any given location will not see one every night, but often enough for several times per month.

I say impossible at such huge distances. Impossible.
Some type deception is going on.

Satellites : general discussion and musings.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hi cheesy
Exciting development!!
Thanks for the ISON update

It's raining and cloudy here too.
I hope you get a chance to see it.
Keep looking up!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OneFreeMan

The 3 antennas of an Iridium satellite are highly polished metal, basically acting like a mirror that reflects sunlight. Since the Sun is blindingly bright, it's no wonder that a door-sized mirror would glint so brightly even at such distance. en.wikipedia.org...

Ever seen a car window glint brightly from miles and miles away? I have, many times.
edit on 16-11-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

DarthFazer
People asking : will I be able to see it in _____ location, well apparently it will be hard NOT to notice it. I mean it will be hanging there for a couple months. Christmas being the most prominent time. Just celebrate the holidays and then go outside look up to the heavens and ISON will be hanhing there like the elephant in a room
[]
edit on 16-11-2013 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

Looks like that's just for those of us in the northern hemisphere like here in Canada. Around Christmas it will be from sunset to sunrise viewing.

Australia should look for it now.
edit on 16-11-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

wildespace

The 3 antennas of an Iridium satellite are highly polished metal, basically acting like a mirror that reflects sunlight. Since the Sun is blindingly bright, it's no wonder that a door-sized mirror would glint so brightly even at such distance. en.wikipedia.org...

Ever seen a car window glint brightly from miles and miles away? I have, many times.

I don't believe it. Miles and miles sure but not
thousands and hundreds of thousands of kilometres.

Never.

Satellites are a hoax, an idea derived from a science fiction writer.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

So how does GPS work, for instance?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

look at the time stamp ^

it is overcast here right now

oh well, another day...or night...or dawn

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

OneFreeMan

.... says the genius who uses satellite technology every time he talks on a cell phone ... every time he watches cable tv ... every time he uses the internet.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I'm in Pittsburgh PA, was up around 4 am this morning, out driving the hubby to work between 6-7. I looked around about 5 when I let the dog out and didn't see the comet but then again I live in the hills around the city so don't have a straight line of sight to the horizon, there is a bit of light pollution too. I am hoping it will eventually be visible during the night, you know early evening and HIGHER in the sky so i can see it.

Just curious, does anyone here think it will actually be visible in the daylight like i've read? How would that even be possible? I mean the sun is a pretty bright object ya know. I am being serious here could it happen? I think it would be wicked cool to see! And, I'd be laughin at the doomers freaking out and spouting end times bullcocky too.... what are the possiblities?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

FlyersFan

OneFreeMan

.... says the genius who uses satellite technology every time he talks on a cell phone ... every time he watches cable tv ... every time he uses the internet.

Ahem, none of your examples rely on satellites..........

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

BitSlapper

FlyersFan

OneFreeMan

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how
improbable, must be the truth.

You cannot see a car size satellite reflect sunlight from a distance of many
thousands of km's.
Are satellites/rockets supplied with air brakes that they know exactly when
to stop at the appropriate heights?

Satellites are a hoax. Other means are used to achieve the results attributed
to them.
edit on 16-11-2013 by OneFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

BitSlapper

Oh please .... the weather channel on TV uses weather satellites; cell phones use towers but satellite phones use satellites; GPS uses satellites; Satellite TV is used; list of cable and satellite tv stations; and Satellite Internet Access

Satellite Internet access is Internet access provided through communications satellites. Modern satellite Internet service is typically provided to users through geostationary satellites that can offer high data speeds, with newer satellites achieving downstream data speeds up to 15 Mbps

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You were talking about cell phones, cable tv and internet.

Not about sat phones, sat tv, sat internet.

Just so you know, I am on your side of the argument, I already asked him to explain how GPS works if there are no satellites.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
List of Satellites in Geosynchronous Orbit

This is the list of satellites in geosynchronous orbit. These satellites are commonly used for communication purposes, such as radio and television networks, backhaul, and direct broadcast. Traditional global navigation systems do not use geosynchronous satellites, but some SBAS navigation satellites do. A number of weather satellites are also present in geosynchronous orbits. Not included in the list below are several more classified military geosynchronous satellites, such as PAN.

And yes, you can see some of these using a backyard telescope.
We have done so.

How to view Satellites

Space Weather Satellite Fly Bys

Real Time Satellites in Orbit Map

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

BitSlapper
You were talking about cell phones, cable tv and internet.
Not about sat phones, sat tv, sat internet.

Typo ... it's all connected. Like the weather channel on Cable. They use satellites.
Satellites can be seen with my back yard telescope. To say satellites are a hoax
is childish. Heck, we can see them launch from Wallops Island, from our front yard.
(and people can watch the launches online)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Dude you are delusional.

Please explain how GPS works.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Real Time Satellite Tracker

You can track anything (that's not classified secret) ... weather, GPS ... etc ...
and then you can take your backyard telescope out and watch them fly overhead.

Here are the GPS satellites in the sky right now

Here is NAVSTAR57
It gives the path and times and places you can see it when it goes overhead.
Binoculars ... home telescope ... heck, sometimes naked eye if the moon is right ...

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

OneFreeMan

wildespace

I don't believe it. Miles and miles sure but not
thousands and hundreds of thousands of kilometres.

Never.

Yes, satellites are a hoax, only because Arthur C. Clarke thought of the communications satellite before anyone else. Whenever anyone invented one and wanted to launch it, they were always stopped by the moneymen and governmental big boys with the exact same words: "Invented by a science fiction writer". It was called the L.R. Hubbard Defense, and it saved nations like Russia and the U.S. billions of dollars a year. I wish someone else had thought of them, then we would probably have them. It makes me wonder sometimes where we'd be right now if Clarke hadn't gone ahead and dreamed them up first.
edit on 16-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Edited to remove question directed at wrong person....... carry on.

edit on 16-11-2013 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hokie812

Hey Hookie, I got a telescope and I am having some trouble with it. My problem has to do with the fact that it is a manual crank telescope, and what I see through the lens covers such a small area of sky -

So basically, I find it literally impossible to get a certain star into the viewfinder. One method I tried doing was finding a street light or something in order to calibrate the telescope to a specific point on the ground, and then at least I could swivel it up and know where it was pointing.

Any technique help? Thanks.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join