Comet Ison suddendly Outburst!! make it Naked Eye Sight :)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+38 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Ison is Rising!

A sudden outburst of brightness from sundiving Comet ISON has catapulted it to the threshold of naked-eye visibility. "I've been imaging Comet ISON every morning," reports amateur astronomer Charles Coburn. of Rescue, CA. "Today, to my surprise, I could see it on my DSLR live preview screen." These two images show the comet on consecutive days as photographed by Coburn using the same camera and telescope settings, Reports like Coburn's are coming in from around the world. Apparently, during the early hours of Nov. 14th Comet ISON surged in brightness by a factor of approximately 6. In terms of astronomical magnitudes, it jumped from +8 to +6. If the trend continues, it could be a faint but easy naked-eye object by the end of the week.

The sudden uptick in brightness could be caused by a fresh vein of ice opening up in the comet's nucleus. Rapid vaporization of ice by solar heat is a sure-fire way to boost a comet's visibility. But, as NASA's Comet ISON Observing Campaign states, "we have no idea." The comet's nucleus is hidden from view by a hazy green atmosphere, so events in the interior remain a mystery.

"I have a strong suspicion that this is Comet LINEAR (C/1999 S4) all over again," says Mark Kidger of the ESA's European Space Astronomy Centre in Madrid. In the year 2000, Kidger other astronomers monitored Comet LINEAR as it disintegrated en route to the sun. "The sudden appearance of ISON's gas tail (discussed further below), the increasing fuzziness of its coma, and now this sudden outburst all

Feel sad its raining all day and night here

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

WOW! It's supposed to be raining this weekend in Wisconsin, in the USA - don't know how or where it would be visible here - but I'll look into it.

Thanks, Cheesy.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Happy1
reply to post by cheesy

WOW! It's supposed to be raining this weekend in Wisconsin, in the USA - don't know how or where it would be visible here - but I'll look into it.

Thanks, Cheesy.

Yeah same as here all night rain..tick cloud..

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
How do I know when I will be able to see it above where I live in Hamilton Ontario? I'm no amateur astronomer, that's for sure. It's a once in a life time event, so yeah I really need to see this. It's just a question of when and where to look up in the sky. I'm sure others here feel the same, overwhelmed to the point of - ok I give up, can't be bothered to sit outside all night hoping to see a glimpse of the comet.

Beautiful pictures of ISON though, thanks for sharing them OP.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Im just a little bit north of Toronto, and Stellarium tells me it should rise in the east just after 4am

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Awhh, looks like I won't going to bed then. Thanks for this, will definitely keep my eyes in the sky at that time and only hope I'm looking in the right direction. Thanks man

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I made a thread earlier with a link to a skymap showing the comet Ison and its expected trajectory through the sky, and provided This Link where you can know where to look. If you are in the Northern Part of North America, you'll only be able to see it just before sun rise, looking East.

Hope that helps and happy viewing

Also, the link shows how to find Comet Lovejoy as well

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

TheProphetMark
How do I know when I will be able to see it above where I live in Hamilton Ontario? I'm no amateur astronomer, that's for sure. It's a once in a life time event, so yeah I really need to see this. It's just a question of when and where to look up in the sky. I'm sure others here feel the same, overwhelmed to the point of - ok I give up, can't be bothered to sit outside all night hoping to see a glimpse of the comet.

Beautiful pictures of ISON though, thanks for sharing them OP.

I am at your service friend!

here some guide hope help..

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Comet #ISON morph from Nov 3-14 by Juanjo González Díaz..

twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
This is getting exciting
... I gotta feeling whoo whoo S&F

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Worth pointing out I think that ISON is NOT as bright to the naked eye as it appear in those photos - in fact it's barely visible to the naked eye at all, and then only in ideal conditions. I couldn't even spot it in binoculars this morning (though to be fair I was a little late and there was a bit of high cloud in the east).

They are great pictures though, and hopefully it'll round the Sun and reappear much brighter as an evening object at the end of the month

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Okay, that was really weird and unlike anything I ever seen in the sky. I went outside to watch for ISON, thinking 'ok I'm not going to be able to see any Comet in this sky' since the stars were hard enough to see as it was. So as I was turning to head back inside my house while keep my eyes in the sky - all of a sudden I see this somewhat large cloudy while circular something just zooming across the sky heading North-West. I mean, it was so fast that if I had blinked my eye the moment had a glimpse of it, I surly would have missed it.

I'm really not sure what to think of this but it was beautiful and so otherworldly that it did not look like a comet and it appeared to be somewhat low in the sky but can't account for it's size or how high it really may have been but that was an awesome sight for only stepping outside for just a few minutes. Anyone else catch this as well?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Want to get out there with my camera now, but will have to wait until Monday morning, as I'm camping this weekend in the woods (no clear view of the horizon, only straight over head).

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

AndyMayhew
Worth pointing out I think that ISON is NOT as bright to the naked eye as it appear in those photos - in fact it's barely visible to the naked eye at all, and then only in ideal conditions. I couldn't even spot it in binoculars this morning (though to be fair I was a little late and there was a bit of high cloud in the east).

They are great pictures though, and hopefully it'll round the Sun and reappear much brighter as an evening object at the end of the month

Agreed, no way those pics show the actual real situation, viewable with the naked eye.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy, could you perhaps link your sources as is normal practise here on ATS?
edit on 15-11-2013 by BitSlapper because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
In two weeks that things going to be SO SO BRIGHT!

I cannot wait.

Nice find and pics Cheesy.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

TheProphetMark
Okay, that was really weird and unlike anything I ever seen in the sky. I went outside to watch for ISON, thinking 'ok I'm not going to be able to see any Comet in this sky' since the stars were hard enough to see as it was. So as I was turning to head back inside my house while keep my eyes in the sky - all of a sudden I see this somewhat large cloudy while circular something just zooming across the sky heading North-West. I mean, it was so fast that if I had blinked my eye the moment had a glimpse of it, I surly would have missed it.

I'm really not sure what to think of this but it was beautiful and so otherworldly that it did not look like a comet and it appeared to be somewhat low in the sky but can't account for it's size or how high it really may have been but that was an awesome sight for only stepping outside for just a few minutes. Anyone else catch this as well?

Sound great
Did it look like anything like this here

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Love the meteorites in the gif!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I caught a glimpse of it through my telescope last night! Not the best view, and it was short-lived, thanks to passing clouds, but hopefully things will clear up and I'll get a better view tonight! I read it should be visible with magnification through December. Anyone know of any truth to that approximation?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Isn't that just a shooting star?

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join