It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koch Brothers try to dissuade young people from signing up for Obamacare w/ free beer and cornholes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Generation Opportunity, a Koch-funded front group whose goal is to convince young people that they don’t need health insurance, sponsored a tailgate party on the campus of the University of Miami on Saturday.

According to an email by Generation Opportunity’s communication director, David Pasch, the Koch brothers money allowed their organization to “roll in with a fleet of Hummers, F-150’s and Suburbans, each vehicle equipped with an 8’ high balloon bouquet floating overhead.”

“We hired a popular student DJ from UMiami,” the email continued, and “set up OptOut cornhole sets, beer pong tables, bought 75 pizzas, and hired 8 ‘brand ambassadors’ aka [scantily clad female] models with bullhorns to help out.”

source (raw story)
source (tampa bay times)

This is the same group that put out the creepy Uncle Sam gynecological exam videos. The every evolving (devolving?) tactics of the Koch Brother's propaganda machine. I wonder when they'll start hosting the high school keggers?

Tampa Bay Times profile of Generation Opportunity

EDIT: intended to post this under US Political Madness. If a mod could please move that would be awesome.

edit on 12-11-2013 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
sounds like a sweet party. Sign me up.....or is it, dont sign me up...????
edit on 12-11-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Obama offers health insurance at high prices.

Koch Bros. offer free beer and corn.

Gee, what does a young person pick?

The Koch Bros. just emphasized WTF is wrong with the basic premise of Obamacare.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

butcherguy

The Koch Bros. just emphasized WTF is wrong with the basic premise of Obamacare.

The Kochs Bros are doing the young folks a service. Saving them money by not buying into Obamacare.

Im not sick, why do i need healthcare? If i join, all my funds will go to pay for the people that dont take care of themselfs. Sounds like spreading the wealth to me.

Ill take the fine, its cheaper.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

camaro68ss

butcherguy

The Kochs Bros are doing the young folks a service. Saving them money by not buying into Obamacare.

Im not sick, why do i need healthcare? If i join, all my funds will go to pay for the people that dont take care of themselfs. Sounds like spreading the wealth to me.

So your argument is that college students don't need healthcare? College students don't get sick, don't have diseases, don't get into accidents, etc?

I suppose they won't age either? Do you understand how insurance works? If only sick people bought insurance, there could be no insurance.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

You are paying too....Just in this way.....Some FYI for ya....lol
edit on 11/12/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I guess "Corn Hole" has a different meaning in my Lexicon.

The Title made me laugh...

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

theantediluvian

camaro68ss

butcherguy

So your argument is that college students don't need healthcare? College students don't get sick, don't have diseases, don't get into accidents, etc?

Believe it or not, people can pay for their medical bills without having insurance.

Pladuim

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

butcherguy

they're both worth 31 billion each...I think this is a big metaphorical middle finger to those young people, they don't give a damn about you, they want to make even more money
edit on 12-11-2013 by jimmyx because: spell

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Considering all their fake grass root programs are the opposite
of what they do, Americans for Prosperity Freedom Works etc...
all one has to do is add "for Billionaires " at the end of their catchy titles.

Let's try it out..
Americans for Prosperity, for Billionaires
Freedom Works, for Billionaires
and the new....
Generation Opportunity, for Billionaires.

There that's better.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Pladuim

theantediluvian

camaro68ss

butcherguy

Believe it or not, people can pay for their medical bills without having insurance.

Pladuim

What percentage of the population can do that? Medical bills are the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US. Have you ever gotten a bill from a hospital with the non-insurance rates? It's around 3x as much as they charge insurance companies.

source
source

But you're right, the Koch brothers of the world don't need health insurance.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

We all know the answer to your questions are of course, YES. The problem with the ACA though is that it requires millions of young people to sign up to offset the cost of bringing on people who are older but for whatever reason uninsured.

You know as well as I do young people are not going to sign up in droves like the government needs them to, to cover this gap.

You, me (50yr old), and everyone else over the age of 30 has gone through the I'm bulletproof stage in life. It's hard to convince someone who is just starting their career and broke, to willfully give away a large chunk of their paycheck on the premise that you might get sick.

Personally, the first time I was given a physical in life was when I joined the military (18 yrs old), after my enlistment was up, I didn't have another physical until I was 40, the only reason I carried insurance at that point was for the wife and kids, had I been single, more than likely I would have forgone insurance at that stage in my life.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
What exactly do they mean by free "cornhole"? Where I'm from that would not be a good thing.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Pladuim

theantediluvian

camaro68ss

butcherguy

Pladuim

Ok let's see..
Family of 4, both parents work, Mom gets breast cancer..
....Carry the 1...
Oh yeah piece of cake,
just upkeep, not surgery, is a measly $11,000 a month.
Sure they can afford it .

I wonder how much the economy will grow once Americans don't loose
everything because Mom does something stupid like getting cancer ?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So this group lures the kids in with promises of free beer and then... gives them free beer? THE NERVE! As the ACA clearly showed us the idea is to lure the people in with promises of a free product, then hand them the bill while blocking the exits to force them to pay. Then, when the people question how it went from free to a pay service on the fly, point at the small congregation of selected individuals in the corner who qualified for the free portion as your defense. Oh yeah, and while they're paying for their previously "free" Natty Light, let's make sure they also pick up the tab for the group adminsitrator's Stella Artois and Heinekens.

whyamIhere

Obamacare features cornholing, too... but you're required to pay for it.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

burdman30ott6
So this group lures the kids in with promises of free beer and then... gives them free beer? THE NERVE! As the ACA clearly showed us the idea is to lure the people in with promises of a free product, then hand them the bill while blocking the exits to force them to pay. Then, when the people question how it went from free to a pay service on the fly, point at the small congregation of selected individuals in the corner who qualified for the free portion as your defense. Oh yeah, and while they're paying for their previously "free" Natty Light, let's make sure they also pick up the tab for the group adminsitrator's Stella Artois and Heinekens.

whyamIhere

Obamacare features cornholing, too... but you're required to pay for it.

Wait, healthcare under the PPACA was supposed to become free? Please share the links to these claims?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

As your the richest country in the world why does the state not pay for everyone's healthcare?

Do you owe insurance companies a living?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

deadbang
reply to post by theantediluvian

We all know the answer to your questions are of course, YES. The problem with the ACA though is that it requires millions of young people to sign up to offset the cost of bringing on people who are older but for whatever reason uninsured.

You know as well as I do young people are not going to sign up in droves like the government needs them to, to cover this gap.

You, me (50yr old), and everyone else over the age of 30 has gone through the I'm bulletproof stage in life. It's hard to convince someone who is just starting their career and broke, to willfully give away a large chunk of their paycheck on the premise that you might get sick.

Personally, the first time I was given a physical in life was when I joined the military (18 yrs old), after my enlistment was up, I didn't have another physical until I was 40, the only reason I carried insurance at that point was for the wife and kids, had I been single, more than likely I would have forgone insurance at that stage in my life.

Lots of people labor under the false impression that they don't need healthcare..right up until they do and then it's too late and we're all paying for it anyway. The argument could just as easily be made that mandating people to obtain health insurance is in fact encouraging individuals to be responsible for themselves? Seems like a similar premise to mandating car insurance.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

theantediluvian
Wait, healthcare under the PPACA was supposed to become free?

www.lifesitenews.com...

Citing the ‘preventive services’ mandate that requires healthcare plans to provide sterilization, contraception and abortion-inducing drugs to women free of charge, Obama said, “I don’t think a college student in Fairfax or Charlottesville should have to choose between text books or the preventive care that she needs. That’s why we passed this law. And I am proud of it. It was the right thing to do. And we are going to keep it.”

Hmmm... I don't see anything in there about the same female student having to choose between textbooks and paying her monthly Obamacare premium (which she obviously didn't have to worry about before this ridiculousness began.)

It's blatently obvious to anyone who is even remotely sincere about this that the ACA was proposed as something far, far cheaper and far, far more economical than it has come to pass as really being. To pretend everything is as it was advertised is disingenuous at best.

Bankruptcy by premium or bankruptcy by medical bill... hmmm, one of those situations will only affect those who suffer a major medical catastrophie while the other is guaranteed to strike everyone who lives hand to mouth. Only in modern America! :rolleyes:

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join