It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

If you have a UU church in your area, you might be interested in checking it out.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

The term for how you feel is agnostic, that is someone who isn't sure if God does or doesn't exist and doesn't particularly care either way. A sort of meh about religion.

Not necessarily. Actually, that is only one definition of the term agnostic. There are several. Here is a link:
thefreedictionary.com

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

The term for how you feel is agnostic, that is someone who isn't sure if God does or doesn't exist and doesn't particularly care either way. A sort of meh about religion.

I understand what you're saying, but agnostic doesn't fit, because from my perspective. No entity. No matter how all-knowing and powerful, deserves, or defines the title of god, deity, divine, etc. It is just another entity. So like an atheist, I lack belief in a god, and even the very concept of a god. In my opinion. The concept of gods/goddesses, is purely a human concept. gods/goddesses do not exist, except in our limited capacity to comprehend that which is beyond our understanding.

I'm not very good at explaining it, but I hope that helps you understand my thinking somewhat.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

My opinion is that a true atheist is one that does not call themselves atheist or go around professing what they're not... The same way that if you do not believe in fairies you don't call yourself afairiest.

You might call yourself “afairiest” if you were being persecuted, harassed or questioned (or worse) by others, including government, as to why you are different and don’t follow along with the other “fairiests”.

I don’t “go around professing” myself atheist, either. What I believe is personal to me. The truth is I hate labels. I came to the realization years ago that labels are just another form of control by government and society. Labels are tricky, and they are limiting. Labels can be manipulated. If you think in ‘labels’, then your thinking can be manipulated.

I only use the term ‘atheist’ (at least for the time being) for lack of a better one. If such a time comes that I desire to change it, I will. I think that’s my prerogative.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ofSamoom

yeah im with you on that!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

hellnotes
reply to post by Pardon?

My opinion is that a true atheist is one that does not call themselves atheist or go around professing what they're not... The same way that if you do not believe in fairies you don't call yourself afairiest.

You might call yourself “afairiest” if you were being persecuted, harassed or questioned (or worse) by others, including government, as to why you are different and don’t follow along with the other “fairiests”.

I don’t “go around professing” myself atheist, either. What I believe is personal to me. The truth is I hate labels. I came to the realization years ago that labels are just another form of control by government and society. Labels are tricky, and they are limiting. Labels can be manipulated. If you think in ‘labels’, then your thinking can be manipulated.

I only use the term ‘atheist’ (at least for the time being) for lack of a better one. If such a time comes that I desire to change it, I will. I think that’s my prerogative.

I agree 100%. I don't proselytize about my non-belief, and squirm when people I know in social situations foist that label upon me when conversing. Why do people feel they need to shout from the rooftops about their god? Who cares?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I was waiting for this to happen! lol No one can say they weren't warned. It might appear a big joke at the moment, but you wait until they get serious!!

See who can guess what is at the very very top of the big humanist tree?

You really will have that phone stuck to your head and the human centipede may be a reality!!

No God, no mercy, no conscience ... as human beings, we need to believe in something to move forward.

So if my little child at 3 years old has heart complications, what do I say to her? Might see you tomorrow, might not??
Noooo, I beg, plead and pray relentlessly and I do not stop!!!

hx

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Klassified

CB328

do we really need an atheist church?

Yes! Do you really want the established religion's having control over all the people that want a place to socialize on Sunday?

Ok. Do we really need to mimic Christian ritual, though? This seems a bit disingenuous to me. And the fact this was started by two comedians isn't lost on me, either.

The mere fact that it was started by comedians makes it all the more perfect to me.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I could understand a church of Hedonism as it at least purports a belief in something. The arguments between atheists and the religious have become so boring and juvenile, just repetitive and circular.

It's like asking what if an unstoppable force runs into an immovable object, but first assuming that either of those things exist. Both groups believe that the other is making the world a worse place in their own way, but by arguing with each other, all they do is create division amongst people, which is what is really making the world a worse place.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Mon1k3r
The arguments between atheists and the religious have become so boring and juvenile, just repetitive and circular.

The short version of it goes like this:

The reason why the arguements are circular & repetitive is (at least from the religious stand point) because you can't undo childhood trauma with appeals to logic. It's the same reason you can just tell a veteran with PTSD to ignore a car backfiring instead diving to the ground looking for cover. The stress/trauma has now become a part of who they are as a person...it's ingrained in them now.
You can't reason your way around something like that because it wasn't inflicted upon them with reason in the first place.

-Peace-
edit on 15-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Lol proves that atheists are lost souls with a high iq. Next we'd see an arrow icon pointing upwards in place of the cross symbol on their church roof. My atheist frens are powertrippers. Always looking to down people. That takes a lot of emptiness n soulless effort.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Surely an atheist church is simply the universe?

Why gather up at all? To be glad we exist for no reason?

Logically stupid.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pixelbob

Do you speak so highly of all your friends? If they are really like that, it begs the question of why you are friends with them at all.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
they met in a rented public auditorium...not a mega-church... plus, it was a joke suggested by some British guys, so 400 met up and had a good time, there are no atheist mega churches popping up around the world....people need to get a life.
edit on 15-11-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Cmon i didnt say close frens. Casual acquaintances can be termed as frens as well.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pixelbob

Ah I see. You just use the word more loosely than I. OK.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Wrong. Atheist celebrities are popping out over the world. George Carlin was an exception (minus the god hating bits). Reverend Bill Maher holds atheist church services over network tv. And his congregation watch. Its just not a church yet. Lot of atheist quasi celebrity preachers out there. Its just not turned into a congregation yet.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

And them being atheists is also why its fun being frens with them.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

pixelbob
reply to post by jimmyx

Wrong. Atheist celebrities are popping out over the world. George Carlin was an exception (minus the god hating bits). Reverend Bill Maher holds atheist church services over network tv. And his congregation watch. Its just not a church yet. Lot of atheist quasi celebrity preachers out there. Its just not turned into a congregation yet.

You act as if all Bill talks about is religion every episode. He talks about it every time religious people do something crazy like run for office while endorsing a government ban on blowjobs, but i actually feel like it's not his favorite thing to discuss. I know he did a movie called religulous and he doesn't shy away from it, but he doesn't shy away from any subject. More of his show is about politics than religion.

If bill is an reverend, then so am i. I'll talk about it if given a chance.
edit on 16-11-2013 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Why bother posting opinions on a conspiracy chat board and be pro-religion?

WTF? Seriously, WTF????!!!!!

Is this not the very definition of oxymoron? Is everything EXCEPT religion/belief in a god up for scrutiny?

You religious zealots should post on the supernatural chat boards. F**cking insanity. This ONE issue is why I have not chimed in here for years, the hypocrisy. Seemingly intelligent people can pick apart a conspiracy down to the most microscopic detail, but when it come your religious beliefs anyone opposing is "smarmy" or with a "high IQ"??? Really? Well, thanks, I guess.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join