It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about Christianity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I will be the first to admit I am not all that knowledgeable about Christianity, but hey, I am trying to learn. I do not mean any of these questions to be taken to mean I am against Christianity, I am just curious. I would be appreciative if answers were backed by quotes from the bible, or some authorative source.
Ok, now that I am done with the disclaimers
, here are the questions:

1) What is with the original sin concept? Does this mean everyone bears the stain for a sin committed millenia ago? Shouldn't an individual only be responsible for the sins they themselves committed?

2) What about bastards? Why are they cursed for sins that their parents commited?

3) How could Jesus sacrifice himself to rid everyone of their sins? Again I am confused why everyone is not responsible for their own sins

4) What about baptism? If a child's parents are not devout christians, and do not have the child baptised, and even if the child grows up to do good, and does not sin etc. why is it still condemned?

5) What about marriage? Why is it necessary to marry at all? Why can't a couple just live together, produce children if they want and seperate if they want?

6) Why is it not allowed to practice contraception? If a couple believes that there are too many starving children in the world, and they don't want to add to it, why is that wrong?

7) What is wrong with oral sex? Why the insistence on the "missionary position" only? In fact, what is wrong with properly (cleanly so that there is no chance of spread of disease) practised anal sex, or even homosexual sex?

Thanks in advance

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'll try to answer some from what I have learned - learned not in church.

1) What is with the original sin concept? Does this mean everyone bears the stain for a sin committed millenia ago? Shouldn't an individual only be responsible for the sins they themselves committed?

I think the origin sin is knoweledge. We were with our creator in the beginning like a dog is to it's owner. We wanted to know more and have a choice - big mistake on our part. We all suffer from this still to this day.

2) What about bastards? Why are they cursed for sins that their parents commited?

I believe so. If your father was selfish or perverted for example, you will be fighting against the same issues thoughout your life. If you win, your children may not have to suffer the same.

3) How could Jesus sacrifice himself to rid everyone of their sins? Again I am confused why everyone is not responsible for their own sins

Christ never said he died FOR our sins, he died BECAUSE of our sins. He didn't say we could sin and his suffering would wash it away. He said 'Go and sin no more'. Of course we do, but we need to get past sinning before our end.

4) What about baptism? If a child's parents are not devout christians, and do not have the child baptised, and even if the child grows up to do good, and does not sin etc. why is it still condemned?

The bible doesn't say we should get baptised as children, Christ did it as an adult. I think the age of accountability is when this should happen. I also think baptism isn't just for washing washing away sin, it is more like taking an outh to office - to begin living for God.

5) What about marriage? Why is it necessary to marry at all? Why can't a couple just live together, produce children if they want and seperate if they want?

Many folks would then see this as an excuse to screw everything that moved. Without this law, it would be difficult to tell who's dad was who? Since we are a lot dumber than we think, God had to make it clear for us - marry, be faithful to your spouse and make babies.

6) Why is it not allowed to practice contraception? If a couple believes that there are too many starving children in the world, and they don't want to add to it, why is that wrong?

The catholic church says its wrong. I haven't seen this in the bible or the lost books.

7) What is wrong with oral sex? Why the insistence on the "missionary position" only? In fact, what is wrong with properly (cleanly so that there is no chance of spread of disease) practised anal sex, or even homosexual sex?

I don't see anything wrong with anything there except anal and homo. The last two are simply not natural. Who cares about the position, in fact, some positions can be great excercise - try standing on your head, what a head rush! I haven't seen sexual positions in the bible.

Everyone has a darkness in their hearts that is there for us to fight. Gay's have that as their darkness and must fight and conquer it, just like the rest of us and our own darkness.

Want answers? Listen to your soul. If you find that you are trying to justify something, it is probably wrong.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Passages from the Bible for your questions. I will search for more later on if you are interested.

Answers numbered according to your questions.

1. As long as someone is skeptical about God and His Word, He is committing the original sin just like Adam. Please read 1 John 1:8-10. Also read from the same passage 1 John 3:3-4. We see that sin is lawlessness. As Adam committed the first sin by not staying within God's instructions, we too, when we sin, we commit the same original sin of lawlessness. Sin is lawlessness.

2. An individual is responsible ONLY for the sins they have committed. Please read Ezekiel 18

3. Please read:
a. Hebrews 9
b. My signature

4. a. Acts 8:36-39
b. Acts 10:44-48
c.John 3:3-8

5. Passage about Mariage.Ephesians 5.

Hope it helps

[edit on 17/11/2004 by samuel]

[edit on 18/11/2004 by samuel]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The Bible was written by men, and at a time when women were firmly second class citizens. This was yet another tool to ensure this. It also is an attempt to explain why we have to endure so much hardship now. It answers a follower's questions as to why would a God create us, and then allow so much suffering. By using the concept of original sin, this is all easily put to bed.

Again, the Bible is a product of it's society.

God had a history of simply punishing all of man, over and over, for his wickedness. Thus, Jesus was simply another "savior", such as Noah, albeit with a different twist. He was in effect, wiping the slate clean, and saying to cut it out now.

What about baptism? If a child's parents are not devout christians, and do not have the child baptised, and even if the child grows up to do good, and does not sin etc. why is it still condemned?

As mentioned, no age requirement, but it is kind of an "initiation" ceremony.

Again, product of it's society. It (like the bastard comment) really boils down more to money also. Since at the time, it was customary to have mistresses, this rule was to ensure that only "legal" heirs could claim their father's legacy and so protecting the family interests.

Catholic rule, like abortion, they see it as murder.

According to the Bible, sex not done for procreation purposes is a sin. Therefore, everything that you mentioned is a sin. Just as in any religion, there is dogma...the church ordained that this position (missionary) is the one to be used for procreation, and that's that.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
baptism was this:

I am not a practicing catholic but my family is and when I was pregnant my father in law wanted my child babtised. So, once I had my child I went to the church to set up a time to get the child baptised. Understand that I don't go to church, but my father in law goes every saturday and is quite an outstanding member.
I was told by that minister that because I wasn't a practicing catholic he would not babtise my child. After a few days and alot of begging from my father in law, the minister finally agreed to babtise her.

My question being this: How could I believe in a religion that would punish a new born child for my sins? Why would someone refuse to wash away the original sin from a child that is not responsible for the actions of its parents?If babtism is sooooo important how could someone deny a person the right to it?

Someone explain this to me and I may start to believe in the church again.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Original Sin was not really a big part of Judaism in the time of Jesus, Original Sin was mainly put foward as a Catholic doctrine in about 400AD by Saint Augustine, it was mentioned by Saint Paul (Saul of Tarsus) who was wont to exaggerate, but was not really a part of what christ believed.

Barstard came into usage some time around 1060AD, William the Conqueror's parents were not married, and before 1066 he was known as 'William the Bastard', this Etamology comes from the French word 'bast' as in 'fils de bast' meaning son of the packsaddle. Maybe there was predudices amongst the Jews, but the concept of bastards is 1000 years older than Jesus.

Sin and lawlessness are two completely different things. Sin is about morality; right and wrong. Law is about legality, legal and illegal. You may have a legal right to refuse to feed a starving man, but a real Christian could never claim to have a moral right to ignore his suffering.

If homosexuality is not natural, how come there has always been homosexuals, and there are plenty of examples of animals displaying homosexual behaviors...

Sorry, but when I think biblical (roman catholic) evil, I just dont think queer.

I don't see the corrosion of society personified by overly well dressed young men with a penchant for Judy Garland.

I'm more inclined to beleive hell is filled with souls somewhere between WWF Supporters and Springer show guests...with a special level full of pedifile preists and abusive nuns, that we here so much about.

I think you should look seriously at your questions and try and ascertain if they refer to the actual teachings of Jesus, or whether they are refering to tacked on dodgy Catholic doctrine...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
to answer as to what baptism is, baptism is a showing that you have accepted jesus into your heart. its not something you should do as a baby because a baby hasnt accepted jesus into their heart becuase they arent even old enough to understand. and about the marriage thing God does not say taht we have to get married in fact there are some ppl that he has set out not to be married its not required.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
hey its me again and i am going to try to answer some of these questions

"1) What is with the original sin concept? Does this mean everyone bears the stain for a sin committed millenia ago? Shouldn't an individual only be responsible for the sins they themselves committed?"

the sin that Adam and Eve commited made it so that the rest of us are all born sinners. so we pay for the sins that we commit individually but the reason we sin is becuase of Adam and Eve sinning and giving us a sin nature

Jesus paid for the sins of everyone thats the only way that i can explain it i mean everyone is responsible for their own sins which jesus paid for.

first of all a child can not grow up to do good no matter what you are goign to sin and do bad. baptism i already answered in my reply before

it is not necessary to marry but you should not have sex outside of marriage. you cant just have sex with any person you want and then just separate what if the woman were to get pregnant and the baby didnt have a father

its not wrong to practice contraception in the christian religion

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Adam represents the concept of humanity. So "adam's sin" means "something wrong with humanity". At the collective level, not at the individual level yet.

The same concept. They are not individually accused, but collectively cursed. At the time when it was written, there was yet no legal concept of the individual. What had value was the lineage, the tribe.

This is meant in the same symbolic language to say that the old law is to be superseeded by a new law, as the concept of the individual finally permeated through the middle-eastern culture. A christian was free from the prejudices contracted by his forefathers.

Baptism was a placeholder for previous seals of property. Just as in the old law the property of the God was marked by a severing of the foreskin, under the new law a ritual had to be enacted to mark the "sales contract". In step with the freedom of the new law, the new ritual was more inclusive and non-discriminating than the old.

This is a more general question, not related exclusively to christianity. Note that under catholicism separation has always been allowed, based not just on ability to procreate but also on grounds of behavior.

There are precedents both in the scriptures and the behavior of the catholic church. These precedents became doctrine even before there was a moral justification. In the scriptures, God wants his chosen people to reproduce and battle against other peoples. For these battles, you need a steady supply of fighters. In the middle ages, the catholic church protected the power structure. Life was hard, lots of people died, so there would be no workers if contraception was allowed. Today the justifications are much more ethical.

Same as number 5, this is a general question. As all religious texts, the scriptures attempt to define "what is man", and what proper behavior should be. Even the earliest religions had the goal to make men out of inert creatures. Typically there was a hero in the past that had set the example. Christianity couldn't follow this pattern because the hero was an outcast. So, without points of reference, they just invented along.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'll try to answer as best I can before reading other posts. I'm relatively new myself.

Go get you an Authorized King James Bible. It will help a LOT.

Originally posted by babar
I will be the first to admit I am not all that knowledgeable about Christianity, but hey, I am trying to learn. I do not mean any of these questions to be taken to mean I am against Christianity, I am just curious. I would be appreciative if answers were backed by quotes from the bible, or some authorative source.
Ok, now that I am done with the disclaimers
, here are the questions:

There's an old rhyme that goes, "In Adam's fall, we sinned all." Adam's sin plunged all his descendants--that's all of us, into sin. We have a sin nature that we're born with. Our sins are symptoms of this sin nature. Doing bad things does not MAKE us sinners; we do bad things because we are sinners.

Where was someone cursed for being a bastard? If you're talking the first son of David and Bathsheba, the child was killed as punishment for David's sin. I'm "illegitimate" myself and I don't think I've been cursed in any way!

Jesus is/was God. He is the second Person of the Trinity (1 John 5:7). Man cannot even begin to pay the debt owed God for his sinfulness. Jesus was the Substitute. While He was on the cross, for three hours He endured the wrath of God due us. He paid the debt in full. As the Bible says, without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sins.

Baptism does not save. Baptism is a public confession of one's faith in Christ, and it pictures His death, burial, and resurrection. The thief on the cross was saved, a deathbed repentance if you will, but he wasn't baptized. Yet Jesus told him he would be with Him in Paradise.

The apostle Paul said that it's good not to be married, but you should be married if you can't handle not having sex. God instituted marriage. A stable marriage and a stable family are important for society.

First off, this overpopulation thing is a myth. Secondly, some contraceptives, such as the pill, the IUD, etc., actually act as an abortifacient--they cause extremely early abortions. Life begins at conception. A true contraceptive would prevent conception from occurring to begin with. Many Christians will tell you that using contraception is a choice best left to the couple. Then again, there's also faith in God.

I've never heard of oral sex (between married partners) being wrong.

God calls homosexuality an abomination, and that's why He destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. Anal sex can damage the rectum--it was never meant to have a male organ or other foreign objects inserted into it (in a sexual sense...I'm not talking about taking a toddler's temperature).

The "missionary position" came about when Christian missionaries got on the natives' case for doing other positions. Personally, I don't care what position you're in, as long as you're married to that person. Some think woman-on-top means a woman is in charge, which I think is a buncha bull. What if a woman's husband wants her on top? Then if she's pregnant, there's the baby to consider!

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Christ never said he died FOR our sins, he died BECAUSE of our sins. He didn't say we could sin and his suffering would wash it away. He said 'Go and sin no more'. Of course we do, but we need to get past sinning before our end.

Christ died to pay the debt we owe to God for our sins.

1 John 1:8-9:

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This is even after you've been saved! Salvation does not mean you automatically become sinlessly perfect--but you should strive not to sin!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hi,

Originally posted by Flange Gasket
Original Sin was not really a big part of Judaism in the time of Jesus, Original Sin was mainly put foward as a Catholic doctrine in about 400AD by Saint Augustine, it was mentioned by Saint Paul (Saul of Tarsus) who was wont to exaggerate, but was not really a part of what christ believed.

Could you please tell me where Saint Paul mentions original sin?

Thanks,

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Christians are supposed to be "gay and marry." Obviously this is not the case. You people are not following the book.

new topics

top topics

join