It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Invisible Helmet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So basically an airbag for your head.

Not the worst idea I've heard, but I would like to see the difference in effectiveness between that and your regular bike helmet.

Speaking of which, I have to get one soon when the weather gets warm again...

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

rickymouse
I wonder if that would work when you are being chased around by your wife with a rolling pin

A personal airbag for your head. I wonder what triggers the deployment though.

S&F

You beat me to the airbag comment. Man! Now if they made an entire athletic line out of this... think the "airbag jockstrap." Take a knee to the pills and pssssh! Might be hard to run though.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You'll have to excuse me if I don't line up and pony up my hard-earned cash for a one-and-done throw away "helmet" that becomes useless immediately after it's used until I can get to someone who can repack the airbag. And calling it "invisible" is completely misleading. This is an airbag for your head and it's pretty silly. Existing helmets do a great job, can be reused immediately after you need it, and while they don't let you ride around with the wind in your hair, they actually serve their stated purpose at a reasonable cost. Sorry, but fail.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

JackSparrow17

rickymouse
I wonder if that would work when you are being chased around by your wife with a rolling pin

A personal airbag for your head. I wonder what triggers the deployment though.

S&F

You beat me to the airbag comment. Man! Now if they made an entire athletic line out of this... think the "airbag jockstrap." Take a knee to the pills and pssssh! Might be hard to run though.

That bag to hold the nuts is a good idea. It's better than nuts in a bottle.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The riders in motoGP have inflatables in their suits. They work on impact. I. Sure they have used them for quite some time. If this idea was worthy of being used with a helmet I should imagine they would have done it by now.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jaffo

jaffo
You'll have to excuse me if I don't line up and pony up my hard-earned cash for a one-and-done throw away "helmet" that becomes useless immediately after it's used until I can get to someone who can repack the airbag....

...Existing helmets do a great job, can be reused immediately after you need it, and while they don't let you ride around with the wind in your hair, they actually serve their stated purpose at a reasonable cost. Sorry, but fail.

Now I don't know the exact numbers, nor do I care enough to search for it, but I feel it is safe to assume that a majority of the people who ride bikes never actually reach the point where they need to use their helmet. If you're wrecking that frequently then you need to either learn how to ride, or find a safer route.

Also, I did not get the impression that they were trying to take over the entire market for bike helmets. It seemed to me that they were just trying to come up with a possible alternative, for those who may be interested. There's nothing wrong with that. To each their own.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Brilliant,not what i was expecting,an airbag helmet,mint.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This isn't bad, but obviously it has a niche. I'm almost certain it would be of no use to competitive or even some recreational helmet uses, such as skateboarding, BMX, rollerblading etc. involving acrobatic tricks. That said, it's clearly stated that this is for urban bicycle transit. My only concern would be the discomfort a collar would bring while sweating on a hot day pumping your pedals.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I'm surprised most of you didn't notice they were always wearing bulky scarves around their necks, hiding whatever was underneath. I thought it was obvious.

Is cost a factor in these? A bike helmet costs $15 and lasts nearly forever. How much do these cost per pop? or refill?

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Thanks for posting S+F.

I just love creating new things and this is really a great template for the average thinker.

One thing that didn't surprise me was the general electric has their stamp on it

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

VERY cool! What a great idea, and using existing tech adapted for this purpose. Love it! Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Klassified
Clever? That's brilliant. I kept trying to imagine what this helmet might look like. The end was a total surprise. I'd be interested in knowing how the trigger mechanism works, since it isn't activated by impact alone. This product could revolutionize motorcycle helmets too, as the concept is perfected, and able to sustain high speed impacts. I applaud these ladies. Well done.
edit on 11/10/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

I would assume it uses accelerometers to trigger its deployment system.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If I had to venture a guess, I would say the deployment mechanism is based on G-force. Something like a little accelerometer somewhere inside it, along with the compressed gas to deploy the airbag helmet, and if it measures a certain amount of acceleration, a change in velocity in any direction, it then sends a signal to deploy the helmet.

Once I saw the neck brace looking thing, I figured that it would be some type of deployed airbag. Do you know how sometimes you see a new product and think "why hasn't someone done that way before now?" This is not really like that in my opinion, as this is not an obvious invention by any means.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I bet it costs a bunch. And it don't look all that comfortable. Looks heavy. I'm glad it's not my ten million.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

You said best...I had no idea thats what it was...but it gave me another idea...I thought it was the hair! Like it was a helmet made of hair or her hat she wears in the beginning...a helmet in the shape of a trendy hat! Maybe this is another idea but ya I was shocked in the end to see what it was. Very clever and nice post.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

could this be used by people who want to just walk

i think it would help someone who was run over by a car

to help stop brain damage

just a thought

good idea either way

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join