It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Invisible Helmet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

In Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, there were glasses that turned completely opaque when some sort of danger happened.

I want some of those!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

chr0naut

In Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, there were glasses that turned completely opaque when some sort of danger happened.

I want some of those!

I remember those

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Yeah, way cooler than "puffer fish" clothes.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Very cool,

I wonder though if you can stuff it back in or if it is a one time use?

I can just see so many problems with hitting bumps/pot holes on a bike and having it go off on you.

Still a brilliant idea!

I don't think it would do much good on a motor cycle at 60 mph but certainly on a pedal bike it would work.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

chr0naut

I want some of those!

Bet they cost "$42" too...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Brilliant idea.
I got myself a real invisible helmet a few years ago for Christmas. I can't
seem to find it at the moment.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

OneFreeMan
Brilliant idea.
I got myself a real invisible helmet a few years ago for Christmas. I can't
seem to find it at the moment.

LOL

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Its certainly not going to save you from any flying debris from a car accident you are not involved in.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Fair enough, good point!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It would look kinda funny on a hot sunny day riding our bikes in a tshirt and shorts and an airbag around your neck lol

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Also a good point LMAO

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If only they could squeeze an airbag into a pair of sunglasses so it wouldn't look so ridiculous. I like the concept but I'm pretty sure I'd rather just wear a helmet instead of having an explosion take place on the back of my head during an accident. Airbags are controlled detonations, mind you.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I, too, am wondering about the cost. A little googling tells me it costs between $1000 and $1500 to replace a deployed airbag in the average car. And if these helmets are for one-time use it could get really expensive to keep safe.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
heh heh heh
Im thinkin BAR FIGHT!

here hold my beer while i kiss your girlfriend
edit on 10-11-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
They sure did drag that video out just for an airbag deploying thing. Cool i guess.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tehdouglas

A brilliant idea in it's own right.But where I live people are too tight to spend out £10 on a Halfords special bike helmet,so would probably have a heart attack when shown something that can save their life in the event of an accident costing 5 times more than something else they also wouldn't spend money on.These gormless numbnuts won't even spend £20 on a set of lights and insist on cycling after dark wearing all black clothing.In fact a short while ago I nearly knocked a guy off his bike at the traffic lights who was similarly cloaked as he tried to cut across in front of me.The only way I could see him was from the glow of the cigarette in his mouth.
A brilliant idea-yes.Will it sell? I somehow doubt it.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Brilliant idea, altho i must confess that i wasn't a fan of those "line betweeners".

I do not understand that talk about roosters and women. IMHO, that was just stupid generally, and seems to me that there is one major customer segment those ladies are trying to pursue. And the shame is on that one. In my opinion ofc.

But the idea, brilliant. The punchline was just that, below the belt.

EDIT: and to compliment the poster above me, i'm doubting too about the sales. I have some experience from various areas, and i can clearly see the misfits of that product. Just think about the accidental helmet activation.. you forgot to turn it off, while picking up stuff from ground or tuning your pedals, what ever. BOOM, helmet is on! ....whattthee...? FRACK!! Then you call to customer service and behold; the re-activation is 299 +shipping

Generally, customer is "stupid", and sure to misuse the product. I have a feeling that misuse of this product is also the downfall. Generally saying, fancy equipment and simple user is a clusterfak of issues.

And we should not even start to talk about the electronics within the device.
There might be some problems in sensors, while operating in humid, warm/cold atmosphere. When taken account the current trend in elec. manuf., i could not trust this one. Lets see after 10 years.

EDIT2: I did LOL, while thinking about the testing phase of those "invisible" lol helmets
It is absolutely funny to think those pesky calibration procedures. Makes it crazy funny to think about how in heaven they are going to solve the problem related to gyro sensitivity, speed and error filtering. It's true that money solves problems. Will the product cost an arm and a leg? If not.. Couldn't trust it.

edit on 11-11-2013 by menneni because: 420 edition

edit on 11-11-2013 by menneni because: lé edition quatre20

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I wish them the best of luck with this product. However, it will not matter how many times it works correctly. Only one malfunction could possibly turn the entire idea into a complete and total failure.

Even if it is the users' fault, it would still be possible for the blame to fall onto the creators.

For example: If the user were to completely defy the rules of logic & common sense, and do something blatantly stupid that resulted in their own death and/or serious injury, then the blame could still be placed onto the creators simply because they had not clearly stated in a warning beforehand that "This is something you should NEVER DO!"

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
These two need to watch their backs... the bike helmet industry is not going to like this. I predict they'll just disappear and the patents will end up buried in some archive... wake up people!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

True, but there are Airbag Jackets already. I'm not sure how effective they are though.

Airbag Jacket

The idea seems similar, though those are hooked to the bike and are triggered if you fall off for whatever reason.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join