It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Group Uses Giant Balloons To Drop Bibles On North Korea.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Can you imagine being a North Korean and the very first communication you receive from Americans (or the free world for that matter) is a bible? I think the average person could think of at least a handful of far more useful books to air-drop on North Koreans--ones that don't leave the impression that we're out to control their minds just like totalitarian regime they live under does. Or yes, how about some food.

I think the way the following two sources report the same story speaks volumes as well.

Here's the Huffington Post headline:

Christian Group Seoul USA Air-Drops Bibles Over North Korea With Giant Balloons

and the opening paragraph:

Over the past year, Pastor Eric Foley and his Christian mission group, Seoul USA, have released around 50,000 40-foot homemade, hydrogen-filled balloons outfitted with Bibles and personal testimonials over rural areas of the country, Fox News reports. Bibles are attached to the balloons in a box or a bag.

Huffington Post article

The Fox News headline is a little different:

Bible drop: Christian group takes to sky to sneak Gospel into North Korea

as is the opening paragraph:

On a rainy afternoon last Spring, American pastor Eric Foley and his wife stood in a muddy field near the North Korea border and prayed – their hands clasped to a 40-foot homemade balloon that would carry Bibles to the communist dictatorship's underground Christians.

"I get choked up, every time, as I let go and watch it take off," Foley told FoxNews.com.

Fox News article

I'll let the differences speak for themselves.

EDIT:
Wanted to add a thought to those who might not read the articles:

In North Korea, the practice of Christianity is illegal. Owning a Bible is a crime, and any person caught with one is sent – along with three generations of his or her family – to prison

Food also wouldn't be getting anyone and (three generations of their family) thrown in a forced labor camp.
edit on 9-11-2013 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
idiots..if they want to help try dropping food to those people
i may be a little harsh useing the word idiot but really
upon reflection ignorant would of been a better word

edit on 9-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Food for the soul.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

This story caught my eye too. www.abovetopsecret.com...

S&F.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

As I understand it, a large percent of the North Korean
population is starving. You'd have to be awfully loveless
to drop books of any kind, when they are starving.

Here is a 2013 link on the starvation:

Starving North Koreans

KPB

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread981781/pg1#pid17184267launchingtheantediluvian[/url]

These Christians are the only ones doing anything at all. Where are the atheists launching balloons with books you would approve of?
Until any of you actually do something you are just a jerk criticizing people who are actually doing something.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Are the bibles they are dropping written in English or in Korean? Seems like that might make a difference in how they are received... assuming the recipients are literate. Also assuming they land gently as the balloons deflate and don't just drop from the sky and knock people in the head suddenly.

Attaching some food along with the bibles might help, too. Just saying.
edit on 9-11201311-1313 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Thanks what happens when knocking on doors aint available.

Wonder what it would be called if it was a Muslim group dropping Korans?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Uh Oh, bible diplomacy again. In olden days it was bibles and bug spray. Now those places have too many people and they fight amongst themselves in holy wars. Good job.

This is weird…

…have released around 50,000 40-foot homemade, hydrogen-filled balloons…

Hydrogen? 50,000 of them? I wonder how many of those snarled in power lines and shorted out. If the hydrogen inside the (40foot) monster balloons mixes with oxygen in the right proportion and there is a spark, this is what happens.

This isn't a 40 foot balloon either. (volume)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread981781/pg1#pid17184267launchingtheantediluvian[/url]

These Christians are the only ones doing anything at all. Where are the atheists launching balloons with books you would approve of?
Until any of you actually do something you are just a jerk criticizing people who are actually doing something.

what exactly are they doing?, they dont need propaganda..they need food..cant eat a book

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

When are you planning your mission to N. Korea to send them food? Its pathetic how many ppl will spin this as something bad. SERIOUSLY.

How are you going to feed N. KOREA? If you feed 1000 people that are starving theyre still going to be starving 3 days later.

There is no food N. Korea. ITS NOT REASONABLE TO EXPECT THAT ANY GROUP OF PEOPLE CAN FEED THEM.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Bibles!

It begs the question, how many people were killed in the drop.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yes, food for the soul. You can drop a tin of tuna or a banana and one bite or two and it's gone. Drop a Bible, spread hope and eternal salvation and the Word will spread on and on amongst those wanting to hear - to feed the soul. I am sure those that received a Bible are delighted that someone was thinking of them and that their feeling of isolation from the outside word was lightened.

It doesn't matter what a Christian does, it seems it can never be enough or done in the manner of love it was meant in the eyes of non believers.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

vonclod

SasquatchHunter

what exactly are they doing?, they dont need propaganda..they need food..cant eat a book

Not only that but theyre wasting money and resources that could actually help people closer to home. Gotta love fakers in it for publicity...

Bible dropping . Most pointless thing ive ever heard of. Ugh

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm just worried they are gonna start strapping nukes to unicorns in return.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
reply to post by vonclod

When are you planning your mission to N. Korea to send them food? Its pathetic how many ppl will spin this as something bad. SERIOUSLY.

How are you going to feed N. KOREA? If you feed 1000 people that are starving theyre still going to be starving 3 days later.

There is no food N. Korea. ITS NOT REASONABLE TO EXPECT THAT ANY GROUP OF PEOPLE CAN FEED THEM.

Yeah a bible is the next best thing. But only if they read it huh... guess a lot of nk folk still wind up in your hell... starving sinners. Lrn a book north korea stop being hungry! DONT SAY WE DIDNT HELP U!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

ccseagull
Yes, food for the soul. You can drop a tin of tuna or a banana and one bite or two and it's gone. Drop a Bible, spread hope and eternal salvation and the Word will spread on and on amongst those wanting to hear - to feed the soul. I am sure those that received a Bible are delighted that someone was thinking of them and that their feeling of isolation from the outside word was lightened.

It doesn't matter what a Christian does, it seems it can never be enough or done in the manner of love it was meant in the eyes of non believers.

You now need to feed me.

For i just puked out my breakfast at reading such drivel.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ccseagull

Actually this is what those bibles mean to the north Koreans:

Killing and Torture

I know that the Christians who are dropping the Bibles may be ignorant
about how they are contributing to the death of anyone who picks up
a bible in North Korea.. but that's no excuse for their unwise actions.

KPB

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Maybe drop the Sears Catalog instead....

Dating myself there - hummm - the Victoria's Secret Catalog then.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Except that no ones home is like N. Korea. Its the most isolated place on earth. Every fear of government and conspiracies that people on here have and discuss freely isnt just a fear in N. Korea its the reality.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join