It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble sees asteroid spouting six comet-like tails

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by F4Driver

Um....

Thanks for shouting an entire post about off topic Ison. (???)

I love long posts entirely in ALL CAPS on something unrelated to the thread.

edit on 11/9/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

All im going to say is...... Something like >??

Hidden mesage in Battle Los Angeles regarding Coment Elenin + Asteroid 2005 YU?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/699a151d3224.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

As pointed out back on page 2, such a "dusty tail" asteroid had already been predicted to exist years ago.

that still doesn't satisfy some things. the expelled dust, free of the asteroid, shouldn't extend out straight due to the asteroid's rotation.

or am i missing something?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Bob Sholtz
that still doesn't satisfy some things. the expelled dust, free of the asteroid, shouldn't extend out straight due to the asteroid's rotation.

or am i missing something?

You missed actually stopping to read the article cited in the opening post.

The asteroid is not said to be continuously streaming dust into space, like water from a hose. Instead, its said to be spasmodic.

...formed by a series of impulsive dust-ejection events.
Radiation pressure from the Sun smears out the dust into streamers.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Emerys
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

What if what we think of Space is far off still. What if there are actual creatures that can survive floating in space? Maybe this is like some kind of massive Space Jelly fish. Kind of like one we see deeeeep in the ocean.

I believe that it is possible, and probable, that life forms (intelligent) can and do exist, or can at least traverse the depths of space. But on the other hand I would find it hard to believe that a life form that was created for a certain type of environment could function efficiently outside of that environment, unaided.

In as far as your train of thought, I would not dispel the possibility, as long as this "Jelly Fish" was created to live, reproduce, in the vacuum, extreme temperatures of deep space.

No one knows with any certainty what we are observing, and until someone can bring more information to the table, we will remain in the dark. But that doesn't keep us from speculating, and sharing possibilities. With more information, we can start to paint a picture.

This "thing" appears to be rotating, am I correct?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

alfa1

InverseLookingGlass
LOL. I believe sick to the stomach is a better bet. That's the feeling you get when a "standard" scientific model breaks.

LOL back to you.
Nobel prizes are what you get when you break a standard model.
Scientists love to discover new things.

No they don't. If they did, then their response to this wouldn't be the disengenuous "Oh, wow....we are floored. We have no idea what this could be", but would instead be, "Hmmm....maybe there is something to this Plasma Cosmology afterall".

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You missed actually stopping to read the article cited in the opening post. The asteroid is not said to be continuously streaming dust into space, like water from a hose. Instead, its said to be spasmodic.

no, i get that part quite clearly. it needn't be continuous, however it shouldn't be straight. do a quick pulse of a hose while rotating, and the water coming out won't go straight.

therefore i think the theory put forth is flawed.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Nobel prizes are what you get when you break a standard model. Scientists love to discover new things.

nobel prizes are what you get when you show that something fits into the standard model.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

But the dust wouldn't actually be propelled away from the asteroid. There is no force pushing it away. It just kind of "falls off". The rotation is barely enough to make the dust separate from the asteroid. Then the solar wind spreads it out.

So, they way I see it, there are no jets, just clouds of dust shaped by radiation from the sun. I admit that it looks weird, but this is the most plausible explanation to me.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Subnatural

How then does some of that "cloud" face towards the sun against the solar wind?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
If they did, then their response to this wouldn't be the disengenuous "Oh, wow....we are floored. We have no idea what this could be"...

But they are NOT saying that.
Quite the opposite.
Although the news reporters like to sensationalise things by using phrases like "astronomers are scratching their heads", the actual reports from the astronomical community are that they DO have very good ideas what this could be.
And as I've said before, such a possible thing was even predicted in advance.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Chamberf=6

How then does some of that "cloud" face towards the sun against the solar wind?

Does it? Could you show me? In this pic from www.technology.org none of them seem to be pointing to the sun. Note that the arrow marked -Sun points away from it.

Tail A seems to come close but keep in mind that this is a 2d image showing 3d objects.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So this object has been spewing out these jets for how long?

If this new discovery is a part of the asteroid belt, essentially in the same environment since it first formed, who knows how many millennium ago, how is it still spewing out these jets. It must have been enormous at one time.

Otherwise, it must be a new arrival to that part of the solar system, but how did it get there?

Here is some more info

plus.google.com...

But P/2013 P5 isn’t likely to have much volatiles. It’s orbit is part of the inner asteroid belt, and is likely part of the Flora family. That means it probably came from the asteroid 8-Flora, and was knocked off a couple hundred million years ago when an asteroid collided with 8-Flora. We’ve found meteorites from the Flora family that are metamorphic rock, meaning Flora formed at temperatures too high for volatiles. So that really makes it more like an asteroid than a comet.

So then the explanation is that the speed of rotation must have increased to a point that the asteroid started sending out large visible jets from its surface. Possible changes in rotation from dark and light surfaces gradually building speed over the millions of years to the point where the asteroid is spinning so fast it is tearing itself apart in fine dusty jets of material. It seems pretty far fetched.

How big is this asteroid?

Know how the vacuum of space pulls stuff out of the nooks and cranies of spacecraft when they enter space? This should occur with asteroids as well, unless the asteroid has enough mass to hold these particles to its surface. I have to say current theories are seriously lacking.

Interesting that this has gotten so much press, and so many forums have quickly popped up explaining it away. Almost as if, realizing that this could be spotted by amateur astrologers, the PTB have rushed out an explanation. Damage control?

Alien spacecraft mining some asteroid containing exotic rare mineral?
edit on 9-11-2013 by poet1b because: better explain why it seems far fetched.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The study also states, that comet Tail A changed the least between the observations, considering its direction, length and brightness. Differences between position angle and and projected orbital velocity vector allow to suggest that Tail A may contain larger, slower and probably older particles compared to other tails. Tails B, C and D became wider and faded in surface brightness. Meanwhile, Tail E has grown in length and brightness between two observations, indicating that fresh material is currently being fed into the P/2013 P5.

www.technology.org...

Interesting, very interesting.

So Comets and Asteroids have "New" material fed into them?
edit on 9-11-2013 by All Seeing Eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
We will be discussing this awesome thread on ATS Live tonight.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

That is most awesome! I'll be tuned in as this "asteroid" is so very interesting and could very well be something totally new and unexpected to us...well, it is actually pretty clear that is is both, new and unexpected, but still....COOL!!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Nice catch, I didn't notice that. It doesn't make any sense though... the tail growing larger would mean that P/2013 P5 has shed more material, fed into the taile. Maybe the author made an error?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It doesn't make any sense though
If you follow the train of thought that is being pushed, asteroid, comet, yes, it makes no sense. That is why at this moment in time we need to open our minds further than established science will allow.

And, thank you for the mention, it means a lot to me ...
edit on 9-11-2013 by All Seeing Eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

How big is this asteroid?

It has a radius of up to 240 meters. (1400 ft.)
www.spacetelescope.org...
edit on 11/10/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

This "thing" appears to be rotating, am I correct?

Yes.
Rotating/tumbling.
"Like a wheel" one article said.
edit on 11/10/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join