It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Typhoon Haiyan gaining strength, will strike Philippines with maximum strength of category 5!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

canucks555
Alert: This thing just went over the maximum scale limit. If that makes sense, the max is 8, it just flirted with 8.1

That makes this the most powerful storm ever recorded.

"If it maintains its strength, there has never been a storm this strong making landfall anywhere in the world," said Jeff Masters, founder of Weather Underground in Ann Arbor, Mich. "This is off the charts."

www.thespec.com...
edit on 7-11-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

The aftermath is going to be devestating😭 thanks for the updates....biggest storm in our recorded history, should be all over the news. It's history!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Super Typhoon Haiyan hits Philippines with all-time record winds

November 08, 2013 03:20

(Reuters) - Haiyan, potentially the strongest recorded typhoon to make landfall, slammed into the Philippines' central islands on Friday, forcing millions of people to flee to safer ground or take refuge in storm shelters.

The category-five super typhoon whipped up giant waves as high as 4-5 metres (12-15 feet) that lashed the islands of Leyte and Samar, and was on track to carve a path through popular holiday destinations.

Haiyan is also forecast to pass close to the Philippines' second-largest city Cebu, home to around 2.5 million people, and also buffet the capital Manila.

"The super typhoon likely made landfall with winds near 195 mph. This makes Haiyan the strongest tropical cyclone (typhoon) on record to make landfall," said Jeff Masters, a hurricane expert and director of meteorology at U.S.-based Weather Underground.

Super Typhoon Haiyan has sustained winds of 195 mph (315 kph) and wind gusts of 235 mph (380 kph), according to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center, besting the previous record held by Hurricane Camile, which struck the US in Mississippi with 190 mph (305 kph) winds in 1969.

www.reuters.com...

rt.com...

www.latimes.com...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Last Updated: 8. studeni 2013, 1:00:00 (Central European Standard Time)
Wind: 295 KPH
Movement: W at 25 mph

www.wunderground.com...

edit on 7-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Blessings go out to those who will be affected by this massive storm, Cat. 5 is capable of an incredible amount of damage. May all those who go through this, be safe and strong.
edit on 7-11-2013 by SparkOfSparks6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

wearings-warnings

)(
edit on 7-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Masters said he expected the damage in Guiuan, the fishing town of about 40,000 people that was the first to be hit after Haiyan swept in from the Pacific Ocean, to be ``catastrophic''. ``Perhaps the greatest wind damage any city on Earth has endured from a tropical cyclone in the past century,'' Masters wrote.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
SHOCKING!!!! It was just on my local news!!

www.nbcphiladelphia.com...#!/weather/video/Super-Typhoon-Worst-in-History/231049051

Hope this works!!

Darn, sorry, it's on the same page, to the right a little lower...sorry, I have no clue how to imbed, but meteorologist says it's the biggest recorded IN THE WORLD!! Prayers to all in the path.....this looks really really bad.....
edit on 11/7/13 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Deaths reported as super typhoon Haiyan lashes the Philippines..

www.news.com.au...

its so powerfull..

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is a monster typhoon

Still no contact... Do you guys have any idea how long it could take for phone lines to be reestablished?

IT--
edit on 7-11-2013 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Crikey those images are terrifying. It completely engulfs the chain!

Very worried for anyone in its way. With those kinds of winds and water, there probably aren't many houses that can stand up to the lashing.. prayers to all inhabitants there!
edit on 7-11-2013 by Starcrossd because: changed a word

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My GOD... the eyewall size is the largest I've EVER seen.. So horrible, this thing will wipe out to the ground ANYTHING in its way... GOOD built homes were leveled.. (saw Andrew in Miami, and zero trees, no homes... couldn't tell where you were... people had to guard their homes with guns too.

Homestead was so nice.. it'll be back though.

If you live in the path, HEED my words. Find a secure underground bunker.. (and one that won't flood). if you go under ground, remember, this storm surge will be 20-40ft deep. and go far inland.. Thats what will devastate most things.

SOMEONE, please post live feeds from the Philippines.. Any TV feeds (unless you have--haven't read all posts yet). I looked for some, but they were skipping, and didn't want to hog the bandwidth they need locally. some source that had ample bandwidth only folks..

Praying for everyone in the path of this.. its not going to be good at all. I have friends there.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Compared to Katrina.

Still no news... i'm shaking...
Nobody in the area is communicating.
Phone lines are dead and it's been 6 hours now.

IT--

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
some video comming in,,

edit on 11/7/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/7/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I know.. this worries me greatly!! The images coming out so far are scaring me bad!

PLEASE! Everyone search for live streams... I checked liveleak, ustream, even live youtube.. not much...

UGH!!!!

930 millibars is crazy... not the worst.. Wilma had a low pressure of 882 millibars.. but that storm didn't have ANY size nor massive 'punch' to it. It looks like this monster is tracking slightly north.. could be just a 'jogging' north, then west..repeat, but if it hits Manilla, it'll be VERY bad. But not as bad as the smaller structures. on islands.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda in Tacloban City Leyte, Philippines

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by edog11

Although Katrina was bad, I heard it was a cat 3 when it made landfall. Most of the damage was done, from the levies that had broken, if I'm not mistaken......this one here...MONSTER!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A Storm of the Century for sure. But, that is only 100 years. Global Warming has nothing to do with this storm.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Here's a good technical site for this monster storm:
www.wunderground.com...

Good info and models.

They say the storm came in at 895mb... Massive eyewall has shrunk a lot.. hope it weakens...
edit on 11/7/2013 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Holy mother of...

Press right-click>view-image to see it in full resolution HD.

IT--
edit on 8-11-2013 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
From those two clips that Bob posted (thanks bob!) it looks like the flooding is really really bad. I think it'll take quite awhile before we get any real idea of damage done. I have never been there, but have known many that were born there/still visit, and from what I have seen, a lot of the homes, particularly along the coast, are not built for this sort of thing.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
First deaths being reported on news.com.au

Two people were killed in Cotabato province - an adult and a one-year-old - and a woman was fatally hit by a falling tree in Cebu, officials said.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join