It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Stave Off Decline, Churches Attract New Members With Beer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

With mainline religious congregations dwindling across America, a scattering of churches is trying to attract new members by creating a different sort of Christian community. They are gathering around craft beer.

I do not see the problem as long as no one gets a DUI or such because of it.

Can you imagine pleading to an officer that you just had a few at church?

Every Sunday evening, 30 to 40 people gather at Zio Carlo brewpub to order pizza and pints of beer, to have fellowship, and have church — including communion.

Leah Stanfield, a leasing agent in Fort Worth and regular attendee of Church-in-a Pub, hands out bread during communion at the tavern.Enlarge image

Leah Stanfield, a leasing agent in Fort Worth and regular attendee of Church-in-a Pub, hands out bread during communion at the tavern.
John Burnett/NPR

Leah Stanfield, a leasing agent in Fort Worth and regular attendee of Church-in-a Pub, hands out bread during communion at the tavern.

Pastor Philip Heinze and his Calvary Lutheran Church sponsor Church-in-a-Pub, whose formal name is the Greek word, Kyrie.

Some patrons are understandably confused. They come in for a brew and there's a religious service going on in their bar. They expected Trivia Night and they get the Holy Eucharist.

"I tell 'em, it's a church service," says bartender Les Bennett, "And they're, like, 'In a pub?' And I'm, like, yeah. Some of 'em stick around for trivia, some of 'em take off, some of 'em will hang out and have another pint or two."

That's one of the objectives: A guy sits at the bar nursing a beer, he overhears the Gospel of Luke, he sees people line up to take bread and wine, he gets curious. Phil Heinze says pub church has now become an official — if edgy — Lutheran mission.
For most of the folks who attend regularly, this is their Sunday night congregation. Church leaders, initially skeptical, are now paying attention. Last month, the regional council of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America named Church-in-a-pub a Synodically Authorized Worshipping Community. Next year, it will call a young pastor to expand the idea to other taverns around Dallas-Fort Worth.

"I think the institutional church now is getting onboard," says Heinze, "because there's a lot of anxiety frankly about the church's decline and they're trying to think outside of that institutional box."

Enticing people to god with beer…hmm. Has that been done before? I am not sure how I would react if I walked into a pub on Sunday to have a few beers and watch a game where a big group of people were singing church hymns. I think I would find another pub but maybe others would enjoy it.

To doubters, the Beer & God crowd has this pop quiz. What was the first miracle Jesus performed? Turning water into wine.

READ MORE HERE
edit on 3-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Well, since God is not found in church... or any building made with the hands of men...

I don't see an issue... I'd probably be more inclined to attend if I could have a beer or two myself

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Isn't that the definition of bribing?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Yeah, as long as everyone is being a happy drunk and not causing problems.

I see no problem with this brand of religion. If only more decided to follow this path maybe there would be less trouble in the world.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

There's a biker bar here where a pastor sets up shop on Sundays. I thought it was actually a pretty good idea because it tears down the pretentiousness and judgement that normally comes with church. Even the Christian Jesus did things like that so it makes perfect sense.

Actively using beer as a bribe is a little iffy but mixing the two isn't a bad thing. That's coming from a teetotaler, too.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well like I said I don’t see anything wrong with it I just prefer to watch the game on Sundays so it wouldn’t be for me regardless of how many pints were free.

As it says it seems fairly popular with some. The few times I have been to church a drink probably would have helped. I do wonder if they ever try to have philosophical discussions while putting down a few. That could be interesting to watch.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

This is fantastic imo.

I'm sure they will take a lot of heat from the fundies but this is great. This is pretty much how the early church worked in the first place. Jesus got together with people, broke bread, drank, sat around a table, and conversed. He didn't stand at a pulpit and wave his finger at a bunch of stuffy people in suits.

I see nothing wrong with this at all. The whole point of Church in the first place is fellowship. Where do a lot of people go to fellowship? The pub. I love it!

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Agreed - this ~IS~ fantastic. This is progress however much ridicule people/NPR want to lob at it.

You're going to have a large contingent of society forever more that wants and/or requires faith. Need community and direction in a way not yet common in Atheist / Anti-theit circles (aside from the rising Sunday Atheist communities).

Breaking down barriers, the sulking, the guilt-driven animosity, etc. can improve people's understanding and adherence to faith IMO. I think this is a great move - even if I disagree w/ organized religion on a whole. -Mags

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It sounds great to me!..except for the hyms..and the singing...and the preaching from Luke..and the church people..and the triva game...and the pub...

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Christianity has truly become a designer religion. The only thing any of the Christian sects have in common these days is the name Christ. Everything else is simply eclectic, and open to each individuals interpretation. There are even Christian witches. Can you be a Christian witch?

So tavern(pub) Christianity? Why not?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Id turn around and walk out .. I go to drink and relax .. not to have religion rammed down my throat ..

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It would be funny if they promoted their church services with ads like:
"We have the coldest beer in the archdiocese."

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Hilarious story!

This kind of thing was condemned in churches at one time

Now its used in a desperate attempt to increase the congregation

Why not just cut the crap, leave out the god-bothering and open a community centre? Everybody will be a lot happier

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Drinking isn't a sin, getting drunk is because it leads to debauchery and the Holy Spirit doesn't share his temple with other spirits.

I drink beer on occasion, I just don't like to be drunk. One night of hugging a toilet bowl cured me of that.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Prezbo369
Hilarious story!

This kind of thing was condemned in churches at one time

Now its used in a desperate attempt to increase the congregation

Why not just cut the crap, leave out the god-bothering and open a community centre? Everybody will be a lot happier

Except the women whose husbands like to beat them when they get piss drunk, which is usually on a daily basis for those dysfunctional families. I'm sure those ladies wouldn't be putting you on their Christmas list.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

lonewolf19792000
Except the women whose husbands like to beat them when they get piss drunk, which is usually on a daily basis for those dysfunctional families. I'm sure those ladies wouldn't be putting you on their Christmas list.

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

Ephesians 5:22-24

Maybe they wouldn't, but Jesus would.....

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Prezbo369

lonewolf19792000

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

Ephesians 5:22-24

Maybe they wouldn't, but Jesus would.....

No he wouldn't, that's you taking scripture out of context. Spousal abuse is against everything Christ taught and Paul and the other Apostles concurred. Royal law is to treat others the way you want them to treat you, if you abuse your wife or children you break his commandment.

Colossians 3:19 ESV / 228 helpful votes

Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

Psalm 11:5 ESV / 196 helpful votes

The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.

2 Timothy 3:1-8 ESV / 133 helpful votes

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. ...

1 Peter 3:7 ESV / 112 helpful votes

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ESV / 106 helpful votes

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Galatians 5:19-21 ESV / 70 helpful votes

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 4:29-32 ESV / 67 helpful votes

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Colossians 3:21 ESV / 47 helpful votes

Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.

Romans 12:17-21 ESV / 40 helpful votes

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Psalm 10:17-18 ESV / 35 helpful votes

O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.

Psalm 55:20-21 ESV / 32 helpful votes

My companion stretched out his hand against his friends; he violated his covenant. His speech was smooth as butter, yet war was in his heart; his words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords.

James 1:19-20 ESV / 31 helpful votes

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 ESV / 31 helpful votes

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

Ephesians 5:29 ESV / 26 helpful votes

For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church,

Malachi 2:13-16 ESV / 26 helpful votes

And this second thing you do. You cover the Lord's altar with tears, with weeping and groaning because he no longer regards the offering or accepts it with favor from your hand. But you say, “Why does he not?” Because the Lord was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant. Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth. “For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the Lord, the God of Israel, covers his garment with violence, says the Lord of hosts. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and do not be faithless.”

Proverbs 10:11 ESV / 26 helpful votes

The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.

Ephesians 5:22-33 ESV / 25 helpful votes

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, ...

Colossians 3:18-21 ESV / 24 helpful votes

Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.

Ephesians 6:4 ESV / 23 helpful votes

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

1 Timothy 3:1-6 ESV / 22 helpful votes

The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? ...

Matthew 15:18-20 ESV / 22 helpful votes

But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”

James 3:13-17 ESV / 16 helpful votes

Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

Colossians 3:18-22 ESV / 16 helpful votes

Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them. Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord.

Proverbs 1:15 ESV / 16 helpful votes

My son, do not walk in the way with them; hold back your foot from their paths,

Ephesians 4:26 ESV / 15 helpful votes

Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,

Psalm 10:7 ESV / 15 helpful votes

His mouth is filled with cursing and deceit and oppression; under his tongue are mischief and iniquity.

Exodus 21:22-25 ESV / 15 helpful votes

“When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Matthew 18:10 ESV / 14 helpful votes

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 19:8 ESV / 13 helpful votes

He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

Isaiah 58:4-8 ESV / 13 helpful votes

Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight and to hit with a wicked fist. Fasting like yours this day will not make your voice to be heard on high. Is such the fast that I choose, a day for a person to humble himself? Is it to bow down his head like a reed, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and a day acceptable to the Lord? “Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh? Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.

Psalm 4:4 ESV / 13 helpful votes

Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah

Ephesians 5:22-27 ESV / 11 helpful votes

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, ...

1 Corinthians 5:9-12 ESV / 10 helpful votes

I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?

Matthew 10:28-31 ESV / 10 helpful votes

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Psalm 27:12 ESV / 10 helpful votes

Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence.

Revelation 21:6-8 ESV / 9 helpful votes

And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Matthew 12:33-37 ESV / 9 helpful votes

“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Genesis 4:7 ESV / 8 helpful votes

If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it.”

Psalm 140:1-2 ESV / 7 helpful votes

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. Deliver me, O Lord, from evil men; preserve me from violent men, who plan evil things in their heart and stir up wars continually.

Ephesians 5:22-25 ESV / 6 helpful votes

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

James 3:2-10 ESV / 5 helpful votes

For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. ...

Ephesians 5:20-25 ESV / 5 helpful votes

Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. ...

Romans 12:1-2 ESV / 5 helpful votes

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

1 Peter 3:1-9 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, ...

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

John 13:34 ESV / 4 helpful votes

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Helpful Not Helpful

Isaiah 1:1-31 ESV / 4 helpful votes

The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth; for the Lord has spoken: “Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me. The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master's crib, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand.” Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, offspring of evildoers, children who deal corruptly! They have forsaken the Lord, they have despised the Holy One of Israel, they are utterly estranged. Why will you still be struck down? Why will you continue to rebel? The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. ...

Proverbs 21:3 ESV / 4 helpful votes

To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

Psalm 140:3 ESV / 4 helpful votes

They make their tongue sharp as a serpent's, and under their lips is the venom of asps. Selah

Psalm 58:4 ESV / 4 helpful votes

They have venom like the venom of a serpent, like the deaf adder that stops its ear

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Foul wall of text. WTH is that supposed to be. A few words with a copy paste of scripture. Good grief sum it up and make your point.

No one is going to bother trying to read whatever the hell you are trying to say.

Ever heard of a paragraph? Seriously get a grip and use the quote functions.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I won't go.
I don't like beer.

Why not Bloody Marys?
Chartreuse Cathedrals?
Guinness this day our daily drink?
Blood Wine?
Satanic Sambucas?

Free beer for nudes? (adam and eve sunday special)

Å99

top topics

join