It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISON keep his promise to us! Comet ISON get 3 times bigger just in 10 Days!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I'm glad that your keeping us up to date on Ison cheesy.
Big or Small we should get a good show from our amazing universe.
A once in a lifetime chance.
Hope all enjoy the show.
And by the way cheesy i think your just awesomely COOL LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Thanks for the update Sir Cheesalot

I hope it gets very bright , I would love a cosmic show. Keep us posted buddy.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Good job cheesy keeping us up to date with iSon. Some of us are not able to keep track. So keep it coming cheesy.

I for one hope its a good show. whether its "the comet of the century" or not. Any visible comet is a spectacular site to see.

And again tq cheesy.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This can't be ISON. I thought ISON is an intergallactic spaceship posing as a comet, as promulgated in some other ISON threads. (sarcasm off)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

cheesy

Chamberf=6
I get it. Don't speak ill of Cheesy. He just posts about flares and other happenings in ALL CAPS for the blind, and when he doesn't he personifies objects.

He is beloved and I won't say another word to him.

Please dont be like that sir..everything is okay, i am swear i dont angry..this is forum i take everthing for comment, you take everthing on your comment..
Anw what a cool avatar..with look very smart Man..

Lol classic cheesy xD I love you. Unintentional comedy at its best. You and Mr chamber=f would be the perfect partners in an mismatched police/detective comedy in a Hollywood Production. The uptight cranky "cigarettes and coffee" abrasive white guy who has put in too many years with the force & the likeable, overly polite, zany guy with a heart of gold who helplessly gets himself into these crazy situations due to his kindness and trusting others.

Basically a sequel to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" By the end of the film, you both realize you are best pals! It doesn't have to be done in America, that's just the formula I am most familiar with. And they both get the girl in the end!

I cannot wait for "after Thanksgiving" to come! Need to arrange a clever ploy to get my girlfriend to watch ISON through my mediocre telescope with me. That kind of stuff always inspires gooood vibrations :^) Then again, I've become master over the years at manufacturing good vibrations at the opportune moments...which I guess could also give a whole new meaning to "manufacturing consent". Sorry, I know... I'm what the Spanish would call "el terriblé". But that is just what comes to mind thinking about this comet. It is a very romantic thing!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by cheesy

A promise comet eh? Sounds very Harry Potter esq to me!
LoL

And the reason the tail of comet Ison is getting bigger is because the Sun is heating it up, all the ice/co2 and what ever else it's composed of is melting and becoming part of the tail.

This phenomenon of comets tails getting bigger as they approach our Star is well documented.

edit on 26-10-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

I almost never star anyone, mostly out of sheer laziness. However the "promise comet" is by far the greatest thing to ever reach my eyes since light.

This is going to crush the "promise ring" market. Who cares about a ring, when someone gets you a promise comet they either keep their promise or the comet smashes into their exact location on Earth lol.

In a more serious manner, I also agree with the thought of solar winds and such bombarding the comet and melting any materials that vaporize at those temps. Which would explain the seemingly increased size of the comet.

It's all logical science folks, nothing unusual to see here.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

ISON IS ON fire

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here`s one of the latest youtube videos on ISON

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

cheesy

Drunkenparrot

MissMegs
Linear comet...

news.discovery.com...

Looks like it exploded...

Hopefully not.

Read the rest of the article attached to your link....

As noted by Spaceweather.com’s Tony Phillips, this explosion does not necessarily mean the comet has been blown apart.

A vein or cavern in the cometary nucleus may have been exposed to sunlight, causing rapid evaporation of the volatiles.

The rapid sublimation of ices could be injecting gas and dust into the coma, generating its current appearance.

Only followup observations over the coming weeks will confirm the outburst’s true nature and whether the comet survived the eruption intact.

Its already explode sir ..here the official from spaceweather
www.spaceweather.com...

Respectfully Sir, that is the wrong comet. From your Spaceweather link...

COMET LINEAR X1: The sun isn't the only thing exploding. Almost 450 million km from Earth, Comet C/2012 X1 (LINEAR) is having its own outburst.

On Oct. 20th, amateur astronomers realized that the comet's brightness had increased 100-fold and its morphology resembled that of exploding Comet 17P/Holmes in 2007.

Follow-up images in recent nights seem to show jet-like structures in Comet LINEAR X1's expanding atmosphere. Amateur astronomer Nick James of Chelmsford, UK, obtained these data on Oct. 26th:

Comet ISON is C/2012 S1...

C/2012 S1, also known as Comet ISON or Comet Nevski–Novichonok, is a sungrazing comet discovered on 21 September 2012 by Vitali Nevski (Виталий Невский, Vitebsk, Belarus) and Artyom Novichonok (Артём Новичонок, Kondopoga, Russia)

C/2012 S1

If I am looking at the wrong information please correct me but it seems ISON is intact at this point.

From Space.com on Oct. 25th...

Editor's Update (Oct. 25): Comet ISON is within sight of amateur astronomers as it makes its way through the inner solar system.

Comet ISON will make its closest approach to the sun on Nov. 28, coming within 730,000 miles (1.2 million kilometers) of the star's surface.

Stargazers are capturing amazing views of Comet ISON in telescopes, and recent photos by the Hubble Space Telescopes show that the comet has held together remarkably well so far.

Comet ISON: Incoming Sungrazer

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

3n19m470

I cannot wait for "after Thanksgiving" to come! Need to arrange a clever ploy to get my girlfriend to watch ISON through my mediocre telescope with me.

Yeah that is good times.

I picked up a 12" Dobsonian over the summer and have been dragging it out only a couple of times a month.

ISON will make a great excuse to do some serious viewing and yes, everybody loves telescopes ( as long as you can find something worth seeing and know enough to explain what it is to your guests.
)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
best comment yet :

"Multiple comet discoverer David Levy, who was on the team to spot Shoemaker-Levy 9, offered up this bit of advice to SPACE.com concerning comets: "Comets are like cats; they have tails, and they do precisely what they want."

agreed,,,too a certain point,,,now leave the curtains alone!

as a side note,,1000% agree!

"Peter Jedicke, past president of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, is calling for a return to the old naming convention."
edit on 10/27/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Where in the sky is Ison located? What constellation? I'm sure I could search the Internet, but someone in this bunch must know.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Hi cheesy
Thanks for all the updates on ISON!!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hr2burn

I'm wondering as well.
Last time I checked it was below Orion star belt, near Mars

Comet ISON is now near Mars and the 1.36-magnitude star Regulus in the constellation Leo, which rises in the eastern sky before dawn. When it leaves Leo, the comet will pass through Virgo and Scorpio before its Thanksgiving date with the sun.

edit on 28-10-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I had to laugh!
the way you said it,
I thought the comet and not the tail got 3 times bigger.
you had me worried for a moment.

I will have to have a look for this soon.
got a 40X video camera to try out.
must look up some comet tracking sites.
Thank you.

that was easy! lots on google.
Comet link ISON c/2010 s1
then click ephemerides.

edit on 28-10-2013 by buddha because: they made me do it. the voises.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy did you see Hale Bopp in 1995 ? That was naked eye bright and spectacular.

1997, not '95, although it made everyone party like it was 1899

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
If you haven't already heard of it then I suggest downloading Stellarium. It's free, and it's amazing. I'm into astronomy and use it quite a lot. It can also be linked to a GOTO telescope.

Anyway to add ISON :

www.wikihow.com...

Haven't done this myself yet but it should be straight forward

Again I can't praise Stellarium enough, it's great.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
How about just wait and see how clear it gets in the night sky when the time comes? Then people can avoid making them look like fools until then? Just an idea ....

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

violet
reply to post by Hr2burn

I'm wondering as well.
Last time I checked it was below Orion star belt, near Mars

Comet ISON is now near Mars and the 1.36-magnitude star Regulus in the constellation Leo, which rises in the eastern sky before dawn. When it leaves Leo, the comet will pass through Virgo and Scorpio before its Thanksgiving date with the sun.

edit on 28-10-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

It's below Leo, below and to the left of Mars and just above and to the right of Virgo.

It is rising in the east about 3:00 AM here on the west coast of the U.S.

Unfortunately its still only at an absolute of magnitude 8 so its no where near a naked eye object yet.

On a side note, another vote for Stellarium.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Hr2burn
Where in the sky is Ison located? What constellation? I'm sure I could search the Internet, but someone in this bunch must know.

Here's an ISON tracker: theskylive.com...

Hopefully it will become a binoculars object in November, visible before dawn (around 4 or 5 am) in the eastern sky. In pre-dawn hours of Nov 18th, it will pass right next to Spica, the brightest star in Virgo, so that will be a great opportunity to try and spot it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join