It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Alert System (EAS) Testing increasing? Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Oddly, the past 3 nights in a row, my cable system has run the "weekly" EAS test, at various late-night times here on the east coast of the U.S. I can understand running tests of the system, and it is a required weekly test according to the message in the screen during the test while the BEEP BEEP BEEP plays. However, with my wake/sleep cycle being what it is, I've actually seen them run these tests late at night periodically. That's expected, but I have noticed them running these tests more frequently, up to this week being run 3 nights in a row.

What are they working on that they need to test it so frequently? Are they preparing for something where they expect to use it soon? I dunno, but I thought I would present my experience here, and see if any other ATS'rs have noticed or may know the reasons why these tests have increased in frequency beyond the required weekly time frame.

A quick Google search has shown this happened in the spring of 2012 as well.
Third EAS Weekly test tonight, and third time this week!

ETA: Just after I posted this, it happened yet again, after only 10 minutes from the last one tonight. That's 2 within a short time frame now. I'll post each time they run tonight, if it keeps occurring.

UNRELATED: I just noticed that was my 1000th post here on ATS (releasing the balloons to be mistaken for UFO's, so monitor the UFO forum for reports, lol).

edit on 10/25/2013 by Krakatoa because: Added new alert notice

edit on 10/25/2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

The whole point of the tests is to test the system. If the system is malfunctioning somewhere, do you think they will wait a whole week for another test to see if they fixed the problem? Or do you think they would work on the problem and test it again the next day to see if the problem is resolved?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

if i'm not mistaken the government has something going which was to increase the test during the end of this month. i thought there was a thread about it.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
They might be doing this for a reason.

A very dangerous reason.

They are getting people 'comfortable' with the *Tests*.

You will learn to ignore and take it all for granted.

Then you will be totally caught off guard when the real deal hits.

This gives the advantage to a select few.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

The whole point of the tests is to test the system. If the system is malfunctioning somewhere, do you think they will wait a whole week for another test to see if they fixed the problem? Or do you think they would work on the problem and test it again the next day to see if the problem is resolved?

Yes I understand the need to test. However, it seemed odd to see it so frequently. That's all. I was wondering if anyone else experienced it, or may know what might be the reason for it to be happening.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Working in the industry I can tell you that yes, there have been alot.. alot.. of tests as of late.

Why, I do not know.. but heavy fines are levied if they are not run in a timely manner.

On the other hand, we do test our equipment especially when we get new toys, which an upgrade to the system was just recently done which this may be the reason for the upped frequency.

I know that is not all doomy or anything, but it is what it is.

You will also find "most" tests are done on the overnight shifts unlike monthly tests which are generally done during the day.

Believe me the operators get just as annoyed as you do from having to do them as well.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What gets me are the blips I catch about it being for the President to make special/emergency announcements.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Krakatoa
or may know what might be the reason for it to be happening.

For instance, if a cable company adds new channels to the lineup, and those new channels aren't broadcasting the EAS signal like the other channels are, then they could try to resolve the problem and test it again the same day, or the next day.

There could be any number of reasons why they are testing more than once on occasion, but for 100% certain, we'll never know unless someone involved with the testing informs us.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I actually wonder how select those few are. It is like there are a certain part of the community who are aware of something and are preparing.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

TwiTcHomatic
Working in the industry I can tell you that yes, there have been alot.. alot.. of tests as of late.

Why, I do not know.. but heavy fines are levied if they are not run in a timely manner.

On the other hand, we do test our equipment especially when we get new toys, which an upgrade to the system was just recently done which this may be the reason for the upped frequency.

I know that is not all doomy or anything, but it is what it is.

You will also find "most" tests are done on the overnight shifts unlike monthly tests which are generally done during the day.

Believe me the operators get just as annoyed as you do from having to do them as well.

Thanks for the insight in the possible reasons. That's all I was looking for, and figured someone at ATS would at least be in the industry and might know more without revealing anything that would be considered damaging to national security (like oh, yeah, the XXXX repeater is down for area code 12345.....which would let potential bad actors take advantage of that to do something harmful).

Thanks TwiTcHomatic

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
They always mess with me anyway.. every time I hear one coming over our "red box" I always stop and take a look at the printout... I live too close to Oak Ridge to not keep an eye on them. lol

I hate the things, but they are a necessary evil.

edit on 25-10-2013 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

What part of the east coast would this be? I haven't seen any here but I'm maybe 400 - 500 miles from the east coast.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Was there any actual useful emergency information on TV during 911? I remember all the channels just showed the towers burning.

Locally people eventually got word to move out off the area and began the exodus. How was that information disseminated?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

MountainEnigma
reply to post by xuenchen

I actually wonder how select those few are. It is like there are a certain part of the community who are aware of something and are preparing.

Yep.

There were military "Drills" in progress on 9/11/2001 too.

And, there were people that didn't go to work that day either.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

MountainEnigma

What part of the east coast would this be? I haven't seen any here but I'm maybe 400 - 500 miles from the east coast.

Boston-Metro area in Massachusetts.And so far, no more EAS alerts at this point in time.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
They are most definitely doing this more. What used to be monthly (and still 'say' that) are weekly and what were weekly (still say it too) are more like every other day. That's going for both radio and TV to the degree I have it running in the background anymore.

It varies around the 24 clock though, so I think most are missing HOW much ...but everyone is getting some and that is starting to make my conspiracy sense twitch. It's been running like this for quite some time to my notice. At least here.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

intrptr

Was there any actual useful emergency information on TV during 911? I remember all the channels just showed the towers burning.

Locally people eventually got word to move out off the area and began the exodus. How was that information disseminated?

I don't know. I was commuting to work on the road, listening to Howard Stern on the radio when it happened. I was VERY impressed with him at that point in time. When it happened, a few of the jock started cracking jokes, and he leaped upon them and ripped them a new one saying something to the effect (if memory serves), knock it off guys, this is a serious issue....and we are now a news station until this is over!

He really did turn his entire broadcast into a news report and information dissemination outlet immediately...and if you know his work, that was an impressive stance and gained my respect.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
They are most definitely doing this more. What used to be monthly (and still 'say' that) are weekly and what were weekly (still say it too) are more like every other day. That's going for both radio and TV to the degree I have it running in the background anymore.

It varies around the 24 clock though, so I think most are missing HOW much ...but everyone is getting some and that is starting to make my conspiracy sense twitch. It's been running like this for quite some time to my notice. At least here.

Thanks Wrabbit....it did seem a bit odd, and out of place to me (as a nocturnal animal myself). Nice to know I'm not losing it, and that someone else sees the frequency increasing (for whatever reason).

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Thabks for that info about Howard. I didn't know that about him. He's my favorite Shock-Jock.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Here's the full Howard Stern 9-11 broadcast in case anyone is interested:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join