It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another comet unexpectedly brightens up - C/2012 X1 (LINEAR)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Are people gonbna say this is another alien starship?

It wouldn't be ATS if they didn't..

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The gods are aiming them at us....

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Another comet,like i predicted in this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
Another comet,like i predicted in this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

So in September 2013, you predicted a comet would be found, and you're claiming a hit on that prediction based on a comet that was found in 2012? Do you understand how many comets have been found this year alone? Over 70. Lots to choose from. At least pick one of the truly new discoveries when trying to engage in confirmation bias.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Yes lots of comets are found and they all line up in november,jeeze.

There was a thread on ats about ison having companions. For you i guess comets lining up in november is a coincidence?
I say ison has companions.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

There was a thread on ats about ison having companions. For you i guess comets lining up in november is a coincidence?

The threads about ISON's companions offered no real evidence that ISON had companions -- just misidentifications and misunderstanding.

The claims were due to misidentified images of stars in the background (way in the background) seen through ISON's tail, and were due to the misunderstanding of the orbit of asteroid 433 Eros. Eros was, at a time, visible next to ISON as seen from our viewpoint here on Earth, but they were not actually near each other -- it was just a matter of perspective.

Can you please show the evidence that you feel indicates the ISON has companions?

edit on 10/21/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

The Sun heats them up directly. Comets don't need an atmosphere or "geothermal mass" for that, just the Sun's radiation will do.

And you have proof that the Sun puts out any heat at all? Can you show me the source of that information?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
OHH NOOOOOSSSSSSSS

They are going to collide and be sent spiraling off course only to be sent on a destructive collision course with the Earth and end all life as we know it! Oh the terror!

Just kidding

Will be a great photo opportunity. I am looking forward to all the awesome comet pics coming up in the next few months.

Now ya gone and done it lol. Ya just had to jinx us lol.

So is my mind playing tricks on me, where do you find all the great avatars and how often are you rotating.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

GaryN

The Sun heats them up directly. Comets don't need an atmosphere or "geothermal mass" for that, just the Sun's radiation will do.

And you have proof that the Sun puts out any heat at all? Can you show me the source of that information?

The proof is all energy sources have a heat index, eg.. anything measurement Kelvin above absolute zero.

The temperature profile of the solar wind can be calculated from the energy equation by assuming that the velocity profile is known. When the logarithmic expansion rate of the solar wind is small, the heat-flow equation can be integrated analytically. If the coronal temperature is sufficiently high, the energy equation has a critical solution in which the temperature vanishes at infinity. A quiet-time temperature profile is calculated by using the observed data at the orbit of the earth.
Source: Journal of Geophysical Research: Temperature profile of solar winds

Also, the most likely scenario for a comet to unexpectedly brighten in the inner solar system, is that it has run into the remnants of a solar flare, or CME, that was directed to that region of space. Purely hypothetical, but plausible.

edit on 21-10-2013 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2013 by charlyv because: added content

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

The thread was debunked. There are a ton of comets out there, if you look you will find comets that "line up in november" whatever that's supposed to mean. It's called confirmation bias. Oh look a comet discovered in September that makes its closest approach to earth in November:
www.aerith.net...
That was easy. Here's a few more new discoveries this year for you to check out:
P/2013 TW5 Spacewatch
P/2013 T2 Schwartz
P/2013 T1 PANSTARRS
C/2013 S1 Catalina
P/2013 R3 Catalina-PANSTARRS
293P/2013 R2 Spacewatch
And those are just the comets discovered this year AFTER Lovejoy was discovered in September.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

ngchunter

symptomoftheuniverse

The thread was debunked. There are a ton of comets out there, if you look you will find comets that "line up in november" whatever that's supposed to mean. It's called confirmation bias. Oh look a comet discovered in September that makes its closest approach to earth in November:
www.aerith.net...
That was easy. Here's a few more new discoveries this year for you to check out:
P/2013 TW5 Spacewatch
P/2013 T2 Schwartz
P/2013 T1 PANSTARRS
C/2013 S1 Catalina
293P/2013 R2 Spacewatch
And those are just the comets discovered this year AFTER Lovejoy was discovered in September.
so we dont have a comet convoy in novembercumbriansky.wordpress.com... do you think im insane or something?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
COMET EXPLOSION: Almost 450 million km from Earth, Comet C/2012 X1 (LINEAR) has exploded. Amateur astronomers are reporting a 200-fold increase in the comet's brightness on Oct. 20th, and the comet's atmosphere or "coma" now resembles that of exploding Comet 17P/Holmes in 2007.

www.spaceweather.com...

No wonder it got brighter.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

TwiTcHomatic
COMET EXPLOSION: Almost 450 million km from Earth, Comet C/2012 X1 (LINEAR) has exploded. Amateur astronomers are reporting a 200-fold increase in the comet's brightness on Oct. 20th, and the comet's atmosphere or "coma" now resembles that of exploding Comet 17P/Holmes in 2007.

www.spaceweather.com...

In what context are they using the term "explode". To most people, "explode" would connote that the comet blew up into bits. However, from what I gather, they are only using the term "explode" to mean that it had a very very bright outburst of gasses.

I say this because they say in the article that the explosion could be similar to the "explosion" of comet Comet 17P/Holmes, which did have an outburst of brightness, but did NOT get blown to to bits. Comet 17P/Holmes is still a viable comet, and may someday have another similar visible outburst.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

TwiTcHomatic

www.spaceweather.com...

In what context are they using the term "explode". To most people, "explode" would connote that the comet blew up into bits. However, from what I gather, they are only using the term "explode" to mean that it had a very very bright outburst of gasses.

I say this because they say in the article that the explosion could be similar to the "explosion" of comet Comet 17P/Holmes, which did have an outburst of brightness, but did NOT get blown to to bits. Comet 17P/Holmes is still a viable comet, and may someday have another similar visible outburst.

I am interpreting it as explosion of mass not brightness. I guess we shall see in the coming days. If the brightness continues to reduce significantly we will have our answer.
edit on 22-10-2013 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

-edit- But I do understand why you question that, it is an odd term to use loosely.
edit on 22-10-2013 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

ngchunter

symptomoftheuniverse

www.aerith.net...
P/2013 TW5 Spacewatch
P/2013 T2 Schwartz
P/2013 T1 PANSTARRS
C/2013 S1 Catalina
293P/2013 R2 Spacewatch
so we dont have a comet convoy in novembercumbriansky.wordpress.com... do you think im insane or something?

From your own link:

* * * * * * * UPDATE * * * * * * * *

When I went online before heading out to work this morning, and checked this blog’s viewing stats, just casually wondering if many people had read this post, I was amazed and initially delighted to see that this blog’s “viewing figures” had gone through the roof! Overnight more than a thousand people had read this post, which I thought was brilliant! Then I checked out where those readers had been, and to my disappointment and amusement I found that most had been on a forum for people who are into conspiracy theories, including, of course, many of the crackpot theories about Comet ISON being everything from a trio of UFOs, to the make-believe planet Nibiru, to the Earth-destroying Wormwood, and various other bits of nonsense.
But then I saw that many of the people on that forum were actually quoting FROM this blog post to support their crazy prophesies and theories! Unbelievable! (I should be fair here and say that some of the posters were shooting down the cranks, insisting that this is nothing spooky or kooky, but they are very outnumbered. I thank them for their efforts tho!)
So, let me clear this up for the people on that forum, and people coming from elsewhere. There is NO connection between this new Comet Lovejoy and Comet ISON. There is no swarm of comets heading towards us. They’re not the first wave of a planetary cometary bombardment. They’re not Signs from God (any god). They’re just comets, natural members of the solar system, bits of ice orbiting the Sun just like planets and asteroids do. Neither ISON or Lovejoy will cause earthquakes, tidal waves, war or plagues, because they are just tiny objects compared to the Earth, passing us at distances of many, many millions of miles for a very brief period.
The thing is, on every day of every week of every month of every year since the formation of the solar system, all those billions of years ago, there have been comets drifting around and passing Earth. They are always there, ALWAYS there, out in space.
But on any and every night of every year, if you wanted to, and if you had the right equipment, you could see not one but several comets in the sky. They’re not rare, they’re not unusual, they’re everywhere.
But if you could click your fingers and see all the other comets visible in the sky at the same time, the ones too faint to be seen without a telescope, this is what you’d see…
cumbriansky.files.wordpress.com...

cumbriansky.wordpress.com...
Thanks for that link, he says basically the same thing I just said.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Lining up, or making a convoy, are just figures of speech, and practically always apply to our point of view from Earth. The comets themselves have their own orbits around the Sun, dictated by gravity. They can't be moved to make a "train" or to align in any specific way.

ISON will hopefully become a naked-eye comet. The rest of the comets being talked about for 2013 are binoculars objects, most people won't even see them unless them use binoculars or a small telescope, and know where to look. There is nothing special about several comets being relatively bright (binoculars or small telescope) in the same month. Some of the comets remain relatively bright for months.

As for the "explosion", spaceweather.com adds:
"The outburst does not necessarily signal a disintegration of the comet. Possibly, a local vein or cavern of deep ice in the comet's nucleus has been exposed to sunlight. Rapid evaporation of fragile ices could account for the comet's bigger- and brighter-than-expected atmosphere."

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

GaryN

More than half the Sun's power output is in the form of infrared light, which, when absorbed, heats the matter. solar.physics.montana.edu...
In fact, electromagnetic waves of any frequency will heat surfaces that absorb them. en.wikipedia.org...

If the Sun didn't put out any heat at all, it wouldn't be a star, and we wouldn't even exist.
www.universetoday.com...

P.S. GaryN, did you get my message?
edit on 22-10-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

symptomoftheuniverse

The threads about ISON's companions offered no real evidence that ISON had companions -- just misidentifications and misunderstanding.

The claims were due to misidentified images of stars in the background (way in the background) seen through ISON's tail, and were due to the misunderstanding of the orbit of asteroid 433 Eros. Eros was, at a time, visible next to ISON as seen from our viewpoint here on Earth, but they were not actually near each other -- it was just a matter of perspective.

Can you please show the evidence that you feel indicates the ISON has companions?

edit on 10/21/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Didn't you read the memo? ISON's companions are spaceships or ISON itself is one. (sarcasm off)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

If the Sun didn't put out any heat at all, it wouldn't be a star, and we wouldn't even exist.

www.universetoday.com...

Depends on your model of the Sun. Mine says it is an electro-magnetic 'event', and not a ball of burning hydrogen. The Sun creates hydrogen, as well as helium, carbon, neon, oxygen, silicon and iron. It's emissions are in the form of scalar waves, or magnetic longitudinal waves. I'm with Dollard: "It is found that the sun transmits no transverse electromagnetic energy what so ever, the only thing you can see in space is reflected when the longitudinal fields strike a surface and turn into the scattering transverse electromagnetic wave".

P.S. GaryN, did you get my message?

Just did. That image is typical of NASAs staged photos. They know exacly when to take shots that make it look like everything is 'normal' up there. I've settled on one test that would convince me that my model may be wrong, and that is a video of the Moon from one of the Canadarm2 colour video cameras, when looking away from Earth. I'll be waiing forever for that one, they can't do it, simple as it should be.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GaryN

So then:

When you step outside at noon on a hot summer's day, the large bright object in the sky that's lighting everything up, you are telling me that you feel no heat from it at all?

Might you explain where we (the Earth) get's it's heat from then, what keeps our atmosphere warm, and what exactly is it that is giving me a sun burn if I stand outside during the day too long?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join