It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep impact comet observer breaksdown imaging ison

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

Could it appear to look like 2 suns?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse
www.universetoday.com...-104511
Well well well,the spacecraft known as Deep Impact mysteriousy goes wrong trying to image ison."we did not get the observations we expected" says the lead scientists.
I don't know about you but this comet is starting to unsettle me.
So, just a coincidence? or are they hiding something?

edit on 4-9-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: changed word

*giggle*

...this pathetic Theatre play s getting worse by the week

..first they 'lost ' it, untill an amateur astronomer [ read: payed Shill] "found it again"
and now their multi billion $$ camera suddenly broke down..?

how Utter Convienient

...NVM... there are still millions, who still Fanatically Believe that "it" is real and Incoming

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Lone12

Coming Soon: All amateur astrologists and anybody with an unregistered telescope, powerful binoculars, extremely powerful eyeglasses or extreme eyesight, it is against the law to use these devices to look upon any portion of the sky with the exception of your sun during daylight hours.

Seriously now, it would be quite hard to keep so many from viewing it. Why don't the folks at NASA just let us see whatever they can, we foot the bill as taxpayers, don't we?
What about the Roman Catholic Church, I wouldn't mind donating a buck or two to them for a few minutes of viewing the comet or other space items, perhaps they can use it to make up for their dwindling revenue from shrinking attendance/membership.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lone12

Lone12 and evc1shop, you already have images from the Hubble, and amateur astronomers have already taken lots of images of ISON. It's there, it's real, and if it looks like a comet and quacks like a comet... then it's a comet! By the way, they didn't "lose" it, it simply went behind the Sun for a while. So it was up to anyone with a good telescope and a clear horizon to spot it coming out from behind the Sun again. www.isoncampaign.org...

Comet ISON Daily Pictures: blog.ison2013.org...

Keep in mind that NASA are just one of many space agencies, and their equipment is not perfect. Besides, the more eyes on the sky, the better, which is why NASA is backing the ISON Observation Campaign: www.isoncampaign.org...

The information is out there, look for it and deny ignorance.
edit on 8-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I wasn't implying that it was not there. This being a conspiracy site of sorts, I thought I would inject a little humor (failed, I guess) and following that, I wanted to suggest that the folks at NASA just provide us with what they see. Not touched up, filtered, edited pictures but the RAW photo transformed into standard image formats so we can all see what our money is spent on and enjoy the images, too.
As for the RCC, I just figured that they were just getting into twittering the Pope and such, why not attach high quality /high pixel count imaging device to their observatory's telescope and charge a little for folks to have direct viewing capability. I would throw a few bucks in the pot for that.

I do believe that comet ISON is real, I do not believe we know all there is to know about the future surrounding its arrival and departure. It could be a standard comet, just on a close trajectory or it could become volatile in the presence of the sun, I am not a scientist, hence the dependency on whatever images, video and discussion I can find.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

The raw Hubble data is available to the public. The trick is finding it, and knowing what to do with it: archive.stsci.edu...

Getting the images of ISON from that site might be tricky, as it is not a permanent target like a star or galaxy, so you need to specify the coordinates and the exact time the images were taken. I hope ngchunter can fill us in on that, he creates images out of raw Hubble data for breakfast
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This article might be useful, too: www.wikihow.com...
edit on 8-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Thank you for the links. I did some searching a few days ago but never saw these.
I will look into them and bookmark for future use, too.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by Lone12

Lone12 and evc1shop, you already have images from the Hubble, and amateur astronomers have already taken lots of images of ISON. It's there, it's real, and if it looks like a comet and quacks like a comet... then it's a comet!

Even the Deep Impact/EPOXI Probe (the subject of this thread) already photographed C/2012 S2 (ISON) once before back in January, which was the other time it was in position to do so. So it's not like this probe had failed to take pictures of it -- even though this probe was never designed in the first place to take pictures of ISON. In fact, the Deep Impact/EPOXI probe was launched 7 years before ISON was even discovered.

DIF (Deep Impact Flyby) Observes ISON

As 'wildspace' pointed out, this past failure of Deep Impact/EPOXI to get additional data on the comet does not mean that data and pictures of this comet have not already been received. There has already been a lot of data and pictures from other sources -- AND even other data and pictures from this probe. This is simply a communications failure, one that which can hopefully be fixed.

edit on 9/8/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Ah, the link to the Hubble observations of ISON has just popped up in another thread: archive.stsci.edu...

Click the "Dataset" links, which give a very rough preview, then click "interactive display" to get a better view, where you can darken the image until you see the comet nucleus. I'm not sure those are exact observations used for the "ISON with companions" image ( hla.stsci.edu... ), but at least in these observations you can see that the comet appears as a single object, without companions.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I am looking at Comet ISON in the datasets right now.
We should be in for a real show when it arrive shortly. Thanks for the links!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
www.universetoday.com...-104662 it has companions-in novembers night sky. Encke,ison,lovejoy,mars and jupiter all allign,wow .

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
www.universetoday.com...-104662 it has companions-in novembers night sky. Encke,ison,lovejoy,mars and jupiter all allign,wow .

Yeah, but comet C/2013 R1 Lovejoy will be at a magnitude that will not be visible to the naked eye (although binoculars may do the job -- or definitely a small telescope), and comet Encke may just BARELY be visible if you knew where to look.

Even Comet C/2012 S2 (ISON) may turn out to be dimmer than originally thought. At its brightest, it may only be barely visible to the naked eye. Then again, maybe it will be brighter, but many estimates now are for it to be not as bright as expected.

So come November, the sky may not look that much different to the casual observer without binoculars.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I'll post this here, since we've been discussing raw Hubble images of ISON (come on, it's much easier to refer to it like that than use the C/2012 S1 designation!).

I found the raw image data for that composite image where ISON has "companions": archive.stsci.edu...

The images you're looking for are:
hlsp_ison_hst_wfc3_130430 a_f606w_v1
hlsp_ison_hst_wfc3_130430 c_f606w_v1
hlsp_ison_hst_wfc3_130430 e_f606w_v1

Related article with explanation (in case you missed it): hubblesite.org...

The result of stacking five separate exposures looks even fancier: hla.stsci.edu...

P.S. Since the Hubble used 2 filters for the observations in my first link: F606w that spans visible range (red to blue), and F814w that spans infrared, I created this colour composite:

I used infrared data for "red", visible data for "blue", and the average between the two for "green". The comet nucleus was obviously not aligned, so I aligned it in a separate image and pasted it onto the main image.
edit on 13-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Well, well where are their daily pictures, gone, link is gone from here too, was in the bottom left corner. Last update September 9th.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

The last image i can find is from the 12th,but the image might not be from the 12th

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Why wasn't the tail alligned? Forgive me as i really am a novice.
Ps i remember a timelapse where it appeared to show companions trailing behind it. Someone made a thread about it.
edit on 13-9-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: added oppinion

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Why wasn't the tail alligned? Forgive me as i really am a novice.

The Hubble and the comet are constantly moving. It's like taking several pictures of a room with you walking across it. If we stack those images together, you will appear in several places at once. The Hubble centered its view on the background stars and galaxies (to make sure they come out nice and sharp), so the comet itself appears in slightly different places in each image. It's all explained here: hubblesite.org...

Here's what my image looks like before I re-aligned the comet:

whatnext21

Well, well where are their daily pictures, gone, link is gone from here too, was in the bottom left corner. Last update September 9th.

They all might be snapping pictures of the newly-discovered comet Lovejoy.

edit on 13-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Thanks for the explanation and your contribution.
I will predict another comet will be found ans that also will be alligned in november. Anyone have any ideas of the odds?

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
I will predict another comet will be found ans that also will be alligned in november.
Anyone have any ideas of the odds?

About 100 percent.
New comets are being discovered all the time.
You didnt specify what kind of alignment, or exactly when in November, so any new comet is sure to be aligned with something is some way.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join