It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Gas Companies Hiking Up their costs.... AGAIN.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

Things necessary to 'make the world go 'round' should not be privatized. Ideally such things should be publicly owned (I know, I know why do I hate the rich!?) but if we're going to insist that such things as public and worker owned commons are abhorrent then such privately owned things need to be extremely heavily regulated (burn the heretic!).

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

dowot
reply to post by dowot

Mention of the French makes me ask, "Is the cost of electricity in France going up this year?"

I do not know the answer, but I have a feeling it is not, maybe a French member can confirm?

If not, no wonder the French are so interested in supplies in the UK. Just why is the UK unable to/unwilling to stand up for itself? I used to be proud of being British/English but these days?

Now going to pull bedclothes over head and hope it is just a nasty dream.

Because Gordbon Brown's brother is/was CEO of EDF. When he became PM he scrapped all funding for UK nuclear based subjects and instead sold pretty much everything to EDF, who made a very tidy sum from it.

There's a major risk to outsourcing as companies can just hold countries to ransom over fuel costs. The same EDF plant was planned in 2008 for half the price but never went ahead - meaning we now have to pay double the going rate as the only other option is blackouts for a decade until the energy gap is plugged.

Also in 2009 Gazprom nearly secured a contract that would have given it a monopoly on fuel for the NHS, which is probably the most stupid plan I've ever heard.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Again we have the thieving lying politicians to thank. Its alright for them. After all they just put it on their expenses account. So we are paying their bills on second homes ect. Typical.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bastion

"Because Gordbon Brown's brother is/was CEO of EDF. When he became PM he scrapped all funding for UK nuclear based subjects and instead sold pretty much everything to EDF, "

You pulling my plonker aren't you?

Jobs for the boys just moved up a notch, and I always thought that was a Conservative prerogative.

Looks like Radio4 is going to examine the deal, during tonights "PM" programme, which starts at 17.00hrs. Might be worth a listen. Looks like Labour are all for the deal! I wonder why?

"Damn you to hell," hehe. Must pull those bed clothes tighter over my head.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

Yes. I understand what you are saying.

Company actually tried it with me on the last Bill... tried to charge me £45 more than last year (for the same period of Months) but I questioned it and am waiting for a response from them. I have got the cash back via calling my bank and getting a refund. Energy Company said they would get back to me in 15 days... its been a Month now and I'm still waiting for their response.

Also, I was apprehensive and held back for ages (paying by DD) but in the end... I get £100 off, paying by DD yearly, so i switched to DD. But trust me, I'll be checking those Bills 100% and quering if I see something odd. But yeah, for the same reasons, I didn't want them having my bank details.... nut, they already had my address, name, D.O.B and part of my bank account anyway when I paid online.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

It gets worse, one of the nuclear execs charged the taxpayer £714 for a taxi for his cat.

EXECUTIVES in charge of a £22bn nuclear decommissioning contract were yesterday criticised after their expenses claims came to light – showing they billed the taxpayer £714 to provide a taxi for a cat

www.cityam.com...

It's so corrupt it's turned into a dark comedy.

reply to post by dowot

Wish I was, made an error, he's director of communications and chief lobbyist, not CEO, but lobbying is arguably worse. Search for Andrew Brown for more details.

Also worth looking into EDF's £50,000 donations to the Tories in the run up to this deal.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

If it was me, I'd sooner pay the £100 and pay over the phone - at least you know where you are.

I don't think people realise that a direct debit agreement authorises the council/company to take money from your account...not necessarily the amount you expect to pay, but just take money out.

If they were owed £100 and they took out £500 instead - and you didn't notice - no one's going to tell you...

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

I'd rather take the £100 off.

I hate paying these guys anything, so to get £100 off is good.

Seriously, they get my account number which is 2476xxxx xxxx xxx8 or whatever anyway... they dont see the whole number... also the 3 number code on back of card doesn't show either... its just displayed as dot dot dot. All they can see is my expiry date of card and my name (which they have already)
edit on 21-10-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

ken10

I'd prefer to vote for a party that promises to re-nationalise the utility companies who's only concerns are profit....no matter what hardships it causes to the public.

And I feel it needs to get bad for this "party" to rise and gain popularity to succeed.....because atm this country is going to the dogs.

I'd prefer a party that doesn't promise much but does a lot FOR the people. All governments are full of promises, all empty. Actions speak louder than words and I want to see some action.
edit on 21-10-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Sick of ranting about things like this.

I'll just say two words:

Coal.
Nationalisation.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of coal but by this point it's the only beneficial way of plugging the gap. Nationalisation is a must though, only way to keep costs down and secure supply long term.

I'd much prefer tidal barges in the Severn and under railway bridges that cross tides as it'd be cheap renewable energy with a guaranteed yield per day. I spoke to my Dad about these and he said he'd been working on tidal power 40 years ago. I'm not into conspiracies but he said he was working post proof of concept current green tidal tech 40 years ago and by his own admission he was only an entry level 17 year old. The tech is simple, reliable and in the case of under railway bridges nearly all the infrastructure is already in place so the cost to yield would be minuscule in comparison to most if not all other energy means. Yet it's not been developed or properly put in place since its invention at least 40 years ago.

In under 5 minutes I'm able to come up with a two-way funnel design (that can be placed under any sea crossing bridge) with a turbine/generator in the middle all encompassed by two outer meshes to stop any marine life being affected. With the funnel design and tides water would be forced through at high pressure twice a day to turn the central turbine and provide power. It's so basic, non-destructive, cheap, efficient and reliable it's almost impossible to think no one has ever come across the idea and approval hasn't been locked because of external pressures.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If you have a house with a chimney...get it working!

Now to the rest of us....bloomin modern houses built without chimneys so you're forced to take heating and lighting that's on offer. I noticed about 2 winters ago how the price of candles went up suddenly and that they were getting hard to come by.

So, let's get our thinking caps on and come up with some good ideas on how to cook, keep warm (extra jumper comments not allowed
) and light our homes safely.

No point just sitting here and bemoaning big industry and government policies....let's try and rub a few brain cells together and come up with ideas......beat them at their own game.

All the talk of alternative energy supplies is all very well in the long term, but this is an immediate problem, that requires some pretty fast solutions.

I believe we are a resourceful lot, only we seem to have forgotten that.
Rainbows
Jane
edit on 21-10-2013 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Energy prices are always going to be on the rise unless the UK independently provides energy to households. Currently as far as I am aware the UK gets its energy supplies from other countries. What some consumers are failing to see is that energy prices are going up for very good reasons which the media 'coincidentally' miss out of their reports. However, I do believe that the energy companies can cut their prices even if it is for specific times in the year for example in winter.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well. BT have just informed me that they are hiking the price of their line rental by 3.5% in January......so that's another bill increase that's going to affect pretty much everyone, because no matter who supplies your phone connection/internet, BT always gets the line rental no?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
watched a program called watchdog in uk and they interviewed someone from energy company who with no embarrassment said we,r only on a 5% profit even tho its billions of pounds,doesn,t stop them paying their employees millions of pound bonuses for what?stop paying crazy money in bonuses and we all may save a little.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Was just browsing my subscribed threads here on ATS to see what had been going on

while I was off line and the irony of the title of your thread suddenly struck me Lol ..

"British Gas Companies Hiking up their costs AGAIN" - I don't think any of the big

six are even British!! and it looks like some of us, at least will be paying our over

inflated bills to the Chinese in the not too distant future!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
British Gas, Freezing old and impoverished people, not prices!!

Nevermind, wait to they're Fracking all over Britain to extract the Shale Gas, prices will tumble and we will all be millionaires. Just like when the U.K discovered oil in the North Sea, we all became stinking rich and petrol was a penny a gallon.

Lies, damn lies!!!

We have to work to earn the money to warm up a home we are hardly ever in because we are working. I'm surprised we aren't being charged for the heating costs in work.
edit on 22/10/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
well the brits didn't want to go invade Syria so they could help force that natural gas pipeline through there to europe
www.examiner.com...
so pay pay pay

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Whoa there ..... Don't give big employers any more ideas for any other deductions

from their employee's wages! They have enough ideas of their own!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

well, now thats where carbon taxes come in
no chimneys for you

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join