It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Gas Companies Hiking Up their costs.... AGAIN.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

The top five energy companies are all foreign owned :-

# British Gas ...subsidiary of Centrica purchased in 1997 has operations in N.America

# EDF ...wholly owned by French state owned EDFA SA acquired in 2009

# E.ON ...German owned acquired in 2002

# Npower ...purchased by RWE of Germany in 2002

# Scottish power ...subsidiary of Spanish Iberola acquired 2006.

Who ever said we weren't in the EU??

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

eletheia

That is one major flaw of the privatisation, in that most utility companies are not UK owned and so have no "social" link with their host country. Why have compassion for the locals when you are not a local?

Regards

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Plug and play:

"you need to conserve energy, every little bit helps!"

"oh, too many people are cutting back, we need to raise prices to stay in business."

"we need to increase prices to find new energy sources for the energy no longer being used."

"the cost of energy just went up due to fears of ME conflict, we'll need to add a surcharge to cover our costs."

Energy companies are always on the edge, yet they never go out of business, never return to lower prices and they are a monopoly in every area they operate.

In SD, the San Onofre nuke power plant nearly blew up - the government made them shut down so they didn't kill 30 million people. The owners went to the State and asked to raise rates by 30 percent to COVER THE PROFIT THEY LOST due to being catastrophically incompetent. They also want to charge the rate payers to decommission the death machine. Even though they just got huge subsidies to REPLACE the lost power shortly before the shutdown - which the also added fees to cover what wasn't covered by the subsidies.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Just chiming in here as I'm from the UK, although I'm not a home owner I can easily see how this really upsets people. What's even worse me miliband announces they if labour come into power in 2015 they will freeze fuel costs.
So of course energy companies are going to whack up the prices till then. I think it is all a con somewhere along the lines there can be cuts (ie boss bonus's etc). And in infuriates the public when they announce how many billions or millions of profits they make

I'm quite glad I'm sat in my mates shed with his word burning stove going, I'm not looking forward to being a home owner

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm in Edinburgh and speak as a (temporary) resident of UK.

You're getting stiffed by the utilities, by the government & the green lobby.

The utilities only want to make profit to keep their shareholders happy. The government exercises very loose oversight over pricing through the (useless) regulators and the green lobby have you building windmills which don't generate any electricity on cold, still days when you need energy the most. And they've got you burning gas to make electricity when the most energy efficient scheme is to use that gas to warm your homes and workplaces instead. And this morning they've thrown all caution to the wind by allowing a very dubious Chinese company to build and operate your new nuclear plants.

That on an island of coal in a sea of oil. It's really stupid, absolutely amateurish.

And for the Scots ... rebellion in progress ... Scots north of Perth will have to pay 11%+ price hikes. So much for being rewarded for being in the UK.

Nationalize the whole lot ! With no compensation to the shareholders. Same with the crummy British railway system.

I'd vote for that !

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

Your quote :- "Energy companies are always on the edge yet they never go out of
business never return to lower prices, and they are monopolies in every area they operate."

*LOL* and they always make mega profits! never just break even.
Was a time when part of a companies profits were used for such things as *research
*updating, *refurbishment etc. etc. ....
Now it has to be government subsidies - therefor coming from our taxes, so the poor
tax paying suckers paying twice over again ......

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

You don't even have to be a home owner for them to bleed you of your earnings

or to hope you freeze to death!

CX

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I saw a "Viz Top Tip" the other day....these are humorous and usually sarcastic tips in a UK adult comic... it said, "Convince your friends that you've won the Euro millions jackpot by putting on your heating this winter".

If only it were a joke.

CX.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

eletheia

You don't even have to be a home owner for them to bleed you of your earnings

or to hope you freeze to death!

Ah sorry I did kind of mean by home owner as anyone who has to pay the bills. As for me I'm lucky for now my dad pays the bills

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

paraphi

eletheia

That is one major flaw of the privatisation, in that most utility companies are not UK owned and so have no "social" link with their host country. Why have compassion for the locals when you are not a local?

Regards

The other problem is because they're all foreign owned now, the profits go abroad, and when they are looking where to invest that money, they look at every country they operate in.

And right now there are better profits to be made in investing in other emerging markets, than in established markets. So we pay all this money for power, and see zero benefit, because the investment we might get buggers off abroad.

Well, except for the useless windfarms of course.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Ezappa
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

We should boycott them all - everyone in country should not pay. lets go back to burning logs and candle light tbh. Do this for a few months and lets see how it effects the energy giants profits then.

I think more and more people will hold out on paying bills and it will get to the point were people just wont care anymore.

I still have fireplaces in my house, they are not being used, but if i have to go to the woods to collect old logs i will.

Boycott the energy companies untill they feel the pain.

Sorry, been away for a good while and forgot about my Thread!

Yes, I think we can hold the energy Companies to ransom.... not them hold us. We are hard done by in everything we do in this Country!

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

woogleuk

TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Have you wondered why these Companies never give out an exact address for themselves?? Its always a PO Box Number! You know why this is?

British Gas
Head Office
Lakeside
30 The Causeway
Staines
Middlesex
TW18 3BY

edit on 17/10/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

ok, thanks for that. lol

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Its hardly worth it is it?

You are no better off now than you was back then and it looks like you wont be better off in the future!

Its a no-win situation for us but a yes yes yes win for the Energy Suppliers.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Personally, i'm just waiting to hear on RT news that the entire board of BG has been aprehended and strung up by their balls and or tits from the street posts.

Extreme?

How about allowing profits and shareholder interest to come before the very survival of tens of thousands of elderly and poor people this Winter...is THAT worth being strung up for these days?

I mean, a beardy bloke in a cave killed 3,000 innocent people on 9/11, and look at the national, nay, international hate and vitriol that generated...ten times more people are going to die this Winter, possibly more, because corporations like BG want even MORE bloody money.

It's reaching a tipping point...and i really don't think it's a good idea for the world to harbour that much angst without intervention of some discription...or i suspect things will get ugly, sooner or later...and all the dividends in the world won't make up for it.

edit on 17-10-2013 by MysterX because: balls not ball

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

If you're REALLY clever, you'll never own a stick of 'property' in your entire lifetime.

Most people aren't though...easily manipulated, that's what it is. (don' tell them that though, they hate it)

edit on 17-10-2013 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

MysterX

If you're REALLY clever, you'll never own a stick of 'property' in your entire lifetime.

Most people aren't though...easilly manipulated, that's what it is. (don' tell them that though, they hate it)

That's not strictly true, as I live in a house of my choice, in a place of my choice.

I pay council tax the same as anyone whether renting privately or in council property,

and all utilities same as everyone else. But I pay no rent which is a huge

saving on my income and my children will have a small legacy on my demise .....

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Look at this guy... no wonder he has a big smile on his face:

www.mirror.co.uk...

British Gas: Fat cat boss Chris Weston refuses to give up £2MILLION bonus despite massive price hike

But as hard-up families are forced to choose between heating or eating, the fat cat boss of the profit-laden firm will be warm and well-fed as he rakes in up to £2million in bonuses.

And despite the rises of 10% that could plunge millions into poverty, managing director of British Gas owner Centrica, Chris Weston, refused to waive any of his payout.

The increases will slap another £131 a year onto typical bills – meaning households will have to find a record £1,471 to heat and light their home. The sky high hikes, planned for ­Novemeber 23 as we head into the heart of winter, last night sparked fury.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

That's not strictly true, as I live in a house of my choice, in a place of my choice.

So do i and my family...through private renting.

We decide where we want to live and bring up our family...and we go. We chose the house, inspected the gardens and locale, and made a choice, except we can move tomorrow with only the loss of a deposit...whereas you..can't.

Most people, unlike myself and probably you, don't pay off their mortgages years early (yes, i did own my property, and yes, i WAS one of those easily manipulated people i mentioned earlier) and are unable to see any real benefit versus renting a home.

You're tied to the whims of the markets, i'm not. And on paper, i'm worth significantly less than you (monetarily) by not being a property owner.

And have you noticed what they are doing to claw back your 'safe as bricks and mortar investment' for your kids?

Pray you never become gullible, senile or infirm...oh, and while you're at it, i'd make sure your family NEVER come to rely on their 'future bricks and mortar, safe as houses inheritance' if i were you..it has a nasty habbit of being snatched by tptb right at the critical moment...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by MysterX

Look at this guy... no wonder he has a big smile on his face:

www.mirror.co.uk...

British Gas: Fat cat boss Chris Weston refuses to give up £2MILLION bonus despite massive price hike

But as hard-up families are forced to choose between heating or eating, the fat cat boss of the profit-laden firm will be warm and well-fed as he rakes in up to £2million in bonuses.

And despite the rises of 10% that could plunge millions into poverty, managing director of British Gas owner Centrica, Chris Weston, refused to waive any of his payout.

The increases will slap another £131 a year onto typical bills – meaning households will have to find a record £1,471 to heat and light their home. The sky high hikes, planned for ­Novemeber 23 as we head into the heart of winter, last night sparked fury.

And why would Weston waive any of his filthy loot? He's a greedy, fat, pig...did i mention he was a greedy, fat bastard of a pig? No..well, he is.

They usually sleep very well, even while people are dying from lack of energy...people won't get any joy appealing to his better nature...he has none.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
But you have CHOICE!!!

Does anyone remember them saying that?
"It will give the consumer choice, and that will drive down the cost"

What a load of B_ll_X.

Now people might start connecting the dots, like why government intends selling our forests (fuel) to corporate ownership, then when the poor go gather some wood to keep warm (alive) they'll be arrested for stealing!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join