It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man Sets Himself on Fire Near White House

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
A man reported to be shouting Allah, Allah set himself on fire outside of a White House gate. Secret Service agents put out the fire and summoned medics to assist the man. The 52 year old man was taken to Washington Hospital Center suffering from burn over 30 percent of his body. The incident took place on the North side of the White House near an area recently reopened to pedestrians. A couple from Florida caught the whole incident on tape and that was turned over to the Secret Service. The motive is unknown at this time.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - A man set himself afire Monday just outside a White House gate and repeatedly yelled "Allah Allah" as a Secret Service officer held him facedown on the sidewalk.

Alan Etter, spokesman for the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services, said the man suffered burns to about 30 percent of his body.

The man had burns to his head, back, arms and face but was conscious when medics took him to Washington Hospital Center, Etter said.

White House doctors joined uniformed Secret Service personnel in administering first aid until the emergency service technicians arrived. They transported the 52-year-old man, who was not identified, to the burn unit of Washington Hospital Center.

Lorie Lewis, a Secret Service spokeswoman, said the man "set himself on fire on Pennsylvania Avenue on the north side of the White House complex."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It an effective but strange way to protest. Im betting that mental illness is involved and I hope this man get the help that he needs. Burring to death has to be one of the worst was to go. This is the second incident of this type including the Ground Zero suicide last week.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Arab Man lights him self on Fire out Side white House

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
How about "despair"? Let's try "outrage"? Or, maybe "disgust"? Naw, that's not strong enough.

I don't have the words to describe how I feel about what this Gummint is doing.

I just pray that God will be Merciful with our soldiers, whom we are losing, one-by-precious-one, to this dirty counterfeit war.

Grief. Yep. That's the word, "grieving," he set himself afire, to be an example of sacrifice.

God help him.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Burning to death is not a bad way to go. Massive burns are a terrible thing to survive.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

A couple from Florida caught the whole incident on tape and that was turned over to the Secret Service.

This week on "Wild Behavior Caught on Tape"....

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Pictures
Here are some pictures of the man after the fact. He appears to not be badly injured.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Maybe he was trying to take after the monks of vietnam era, but it seems he didn't plan it out quite so well..

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
And then after that a guy jumped the fence.

www.wtopnews.com...

Another Man Jumps Fence at White House
Updated: Monday, Nov. 15, 2004 - 5:42 PM

WASHINGTON - Just hours after a man set himself on fire on Pennsylvania Avenue, another man jumped the fence onto White House grounds.
WTOP has learned that around 5 p.m. Monday, the man scaled the six-foot high fence, landed on the other side, and was pounced-on by the uniformed Secret Service.

This happened just hours after the Secret Service put the flames out on another man. D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Alan Etter says the 52-year-old man suffered serious burns to his head, back, arms and face.

Officials do not know what sparked either man to do what he did.

The part that gets me is that only one guy sparked.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Outrage? Disgust? No, the word that comes to mind is stupid. He did it to himself, no-one else to blame. What a stupid thing to do. He probably doesn't even have health insurance. Now we have to pay for his treatment.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
People are fed up with this mess we're in, and SOME people are not stable enough to cope with 4 more years of George in the White house.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Darwinism, or self-elemination of the terminally stupid, is still alive and well in the 21st centrury. Nice to know.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
People are fed up with this mess we're in, and SOME people are not stable enough to cope with 4 more years of George in the White house.

Many people have not been stable enough under any administration and have done things like this for some time....using any excuse to blame whoever was in power.

Someone who set himself/herself on fire as a protest is crazy, plain and simple. This person will be crazy whether a democrat or a Republican is in office....

What I find pathetic is that some people are finding this as an excuse to bash the current administration....when the problem is the people that do these things.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Emily_Cragg and Dgtempe,

I think you guys are missing the point. This is not a protest against Bush this is a sign of things to come. This guy set himself on fire and shouted Allah while he burned. He was attempting to commit suicide as an act of defiance to the US. If he would have died he would have been a matyr for Jihaad and poster boy for how weak American security is. This guy could have had a suicide belt strapped on and set it off right in front of the White House. Imagine the news from that.

BTW this is just a taste of what is to come. The Suicide bombings are coming.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Bush may have to move to a different country soon if this continues.

www.wtopnews.com...

Another Man Jumps Fence at White House
Updated: Monday, Nov. 15, 2004 - 5:42 PM

WASHINGTON - Just hours after a man set himself on fire on Pennsylvania Avenue, another man jumped the fence onto White House grounds.
WTOP has learned that around 5 p.m. Monday, the man scaled the six-foot high fence, landed on the other side, and was pounced-on by the uniformed Secret Service.

This happened just hours after the Secret Service put the flames out on another man. D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Alan Etter says the 52-year-old man suffered serious burns to his head, back, arms and face.

Officials do not know what sparked either man to do what he did.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It's a form of portest called self-immolation, remember this guy?

Get a load of this..
"As he burned he never moved a muscle, never uttered a sound,
his outward composure in sharp contrast to the wailing people around him."
(David Halberstam)

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
That was already covered GrndLkNatv...unless the man had a twin brother who did the same....

These are mere attempts to change the election results by those people that didn't get their way. But you know what?....is not going to happen. You have to accept the fact that Bush won, just like most Republicans accepted the fact that Clinton won two administrations ago.

Whatever these people, or anyone else, comes up with as a new, or old, "violent way to protest" they will have to deal with the law, plain and simple....these protests won't get any other reaction.

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
twitchy, that picture seems to me to be a poor photoshop job.

Anyways if you think this is a good way to protest, then i guess you are free to do so. But don't come running back blaming Bush for whatever burns you get if you survive....

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Or did you know that? It's been over for 2 weeks.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Countdown To Lone Nutter Tally:
1. Man breaks into Ground Zero & commits suicide
2. Man sets himself on fire in front of White House
3. Man jumps White House fence

Blackjackal is right, this is a hop, skip, & a jump away from a person strolling by the White House with a suicide belt. What precautions are in place to ensure this will not happen??

And as far as I know, there have been nutters doing stuff like this in every administration. Presidents & celebrities attract this sort of thing. Except now the stakes are far higher.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
the man snapped and he is an American , I imagine.

I'm not missing the point. This person is obviously crazed and angry at the White House.

Shouting Ala, Ala, is refering to the current war on terror. what else?

Blame Bush? Who else do we blame, Clinton?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have to agree that we can't really blame this on Bush. This probably would have happened no matter who would have been in office. People complain no matter what happens. Such a shame that suicide/attempted suicide appears to a new pattern. Let's just hope this doesn't catch on as quickly as the beheadings have.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join