It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act author prepares bill to put NSA bulk collection 'out of business'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

The conservative Republican who co-authored America's Patriot Act is preparing to unveil bipartisan legislation that would dramatically curtail the domestic surveillance powers it gives to intelligence agencies.

Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner, who worked with president George W Bush to give more power to US intelligence agencies after the September 11 terrorist attacks, said the intelligence community had misused those powers by collecting telephone records on all Americans, and claimed it was time "to put their metadata program out of business".

His imminent bill in the House of Representatives is expected to be matched by a similar proposal from Senate judiciary committee chair Patrick Leahy, a Democrat.

Patriot Act author prepares bill to put NSA bulk collection 'out of business'

Bi partisan support to put the genie back in the bottle. This is a real step. Awareness and support has to grow for this bill which provides a real level of privacy for the individual. As access to technology grows : google glass, cams everywhere, robotics... it is important that both the state and persons know that it is a right to have a private life where thoughts, feelings, and private discussion is protected.
Why is it that Feinstein acts like the proverbial wicked witch of the west whenever these basic human rights are breached? In the article the congressman stated that she had already declared war on his plan....

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Why is it that out of anyone who chooses to head the fight against NSA it's the same guy who helped loose them on the world in the first place??

It's like asking the guy who just robbed your house to watch your stuff while you're away for the weekend!!

What's that old saying?? Fool me once......ummm......shame...ummm....shame on, you.....ummm, the point is you can't fool me again!! GW Bush

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Because the bill was written for specific purposes and Obama's administration decided to broaden the scope and use powers in ways which they were never intended. So the one who fooled you was Obama. Same with his NDAA which he threatened to veto, only to find out he authored it personally.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

There is NO way that a man twisted enough to draft the Patriot Act would ever renounce it as it would have taken a psychopath to have written it in the first place.
I call shenanigans on Jimmy-boy.
This is just a ruse.
What's more...even IF it were true...you ACTUALLY believe Barry would approve it?
He'd just draft another executive order and that would be all she wrote.
Too bad ATS doesn't have a "fiction" section because that's where Jim belongs...right in between the Warren Commission report and Yeti sightings.

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

mOjOm
Why is it that out of anyone who chooses to head the fight against NSA it's the same guy who helped loose them on the world in the first place??

It's like asking the guy who just robbed your house to watch your stuff while you're away for the weekend!!

What's that old saying?? Fool me once......ummm......shame...ummm....shame on, you.....ummm, the point is you can't fool me again!! GW Bush

Probably the point, anyone who signed the patriot act in good faith was obviously fooled.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Rarely, I do so agree with Boncho... agreed...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by mOjOm

Because the bill was written for specific purposes and Obama's administration decided to broaden the scope and use powers in ways which they were never intended. So the one who fooled you was Obama. Same with his NDAA which he threatened to veto, only to find out he authored it personally.

I wouldn't expect you to play partisan, they are both guiltier than a bloody fox in the hen house.

www.commondreams.org...

consortiumnews.com...

To make a point though, none of the NDAA, Patriot, or anything of the ilk, not even the DHS could have happened, without the paranoid delusions that Bush and Cheney were able to project onto the American public through manipulating CIA data and flat out lying.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

You can blame it on obama his administration or the devil himself for all I care but I personally stopped buying into the two party shell game of "blame the other team" a long time ago. Trying to say that Bush and his Gang of Criminals are any less responsible than Obama and his Gang of Criminals is just a lame argument IMO.

NOBODY within the political game is excused from being held accountable for the current pile of crap we are all in now. NOBODY!!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

mOjOm
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

You can blame it on obama his administration or the devil himself for all I care but I personally stopped buying into the two party shell game of "blame the other team" a long time ago. Trying to say that Bush and his Gang of Criminals are any less responsible than Obama and his Gang of Criminals is just a lame argument IMO.

NOBODY within the political game is excused from being held accountable for the current pile of crap we are all in now. NOBODY!!

It just happens to be Democrats in office. Republicans probably would have done the same thing. The fact is Obama is responsible, that doesn't make Republicans better.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Call me a skeptic but untill someone looks at the actual bill I assume there's some hidden trap there somewhere. Like giving TSA power to use anal probes to extract passwords or something crazy.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
does it even really matter at this point?

they already have everything they need for the character/personality/preference/voice/facial recognition algorhythms, and social contact maps.

next comes utilization of information.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

It's all a dog-n-pony show designed to keep us watching their right hand while they destroy our liberty and loot our country with the left hand. The 132 page (un) Patriot Act was written by terrorists .... for terrorists. Same with the NDAA. I'll bet even the "authors" of these travesties did not even read the damn thing.

It really is time (way past time) to take a broom to the legislative, executive and judiciary. After we sweep them up in a dustpan, we should throw them out with the rest of the trash.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Eryiedes
There is NO way that a man twisted enough to draft the Patriot Act would ever renounce it as it would have taken a psychopath to have written it in the first place.
I call shenanigans on Jimmy-boy.
This is just a ruse.
What's more...even IF it were true...you ACTUALLY believe Barry would approve it?
He'd just draft another executive order and that would be all she wrote.
Too bad ATS doesn't have a "fiction" section because that's where Jim belongs...right in between the Warren Commission report and Yeti sightings.

Well ..... the Yeti reports might (possibly) have some some basis in fact.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

I'm with you. Both parties got their hands dirty in this and another note, PRISM began in 2007 before Obama even took office. Remember that period of time where it seemed like we were juggling attorney generals? That's about when it started.

I'm personally glad that Sensenbrenner is spearheading this because he was one of the primary crafters of the Patriot Act. If the man who was responsible for that legislation says that we're going too far, then it actually means more because the base legislation was of his own making. It actually lends more weight to his opinion because he's from "that" side of the field. Not sure if I made sense there.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

I agree completely!

While this latest effort is a good thing, the proper remedy is the repeal of the illegitimate UNpatriot Act. Poor law outnumbers bad law by 20 or 30 to 1, and repeal is the remedy for poor law.

new topics

top topics

join