It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pros & Cons of the Use of GMO Insulin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Greetings ATS. I have not posted a thread in quite some time, but I thought this one was necessary since many users are concerned about the potential health risks of GMO products.
[mods-please move if I didn't place this in the right forum]

Little to many people's knowledge, GMO insulin has been around since the development of Regular Humulin Insulin by the now 2nd largest manufacturer of insulin. GMO products are NOT NEW at all, but somehow they seem to get plenty of attention these days.

The article I will link below has some info on the disadvantages/advantages of GMO insulin. It's a good article, but it doesn't explain all of the negative aspects of this "wonder drug."

So many people out there have told me that "At least they figured out how to make it, or you wouldn't be alive today." While I can agree with them in looking at it simply, there are many health concerns about GMO insulin that don't get addressed enough today in this world. This thread is intended to point out some of the flaws in GMO insulin and very real potential health risks.

GMO or humulin/novolog inslulin are created by genetically modifying a strain of E.Coli bacteria. They move the dna of the e.coli bacteria and recombine it in such a way that it mimics the way insulin works in the body, but it is not insulin whatsoever. Hence the origin of Recombidant DNA origin, or rDNA (printed on every bottle).

I'm going to outline as a list some of the benefits of GMO insulin, and some of the very real health risks of this product.

Benefits:

1. GMO insluin costs way less to produce in the laboratory than insulin that is harvested from pigs or beef.

2. The faster production results in getting a product to the shelves much faster.

3. They claim that the insulin that is produced by this method mimics the insulin that is produced in the human body. (they are completely wrong about this point-because pro-insulin that the body produces contains a peptide called C-Peptide, which GMO insulin lacks).

Risks:

1. GMO insulin is preserved by a highly toxic substance called meta-cresol, or m-cresol for short. The doctors say that it is in such a small amount, "A little of something horrible isn't that bad for you, right?" I beg to differ. The MSDS sheet for m-cresol says it is a highly cancer-causing agent. Below I will link the MSDS on m-cresol and will also link a page to show that M-cresol is an ingredient in their "wonder drug."

2. Many doctors have theorized that because the GMO insulin does not contain C-peptide, that it could have unwanted side-effects. C-Peptide is a peptide that does a lot of things in the body, and just so happens to be something that diabetics cannot produce. One of the main things that doctors theorize about C-Peptide is that it gives diabetics hypoglycemia awareness. If the GMO insulin contained C-Peptide, it might be a little less of a health risk than it is now. Currently there is a company out there working on a similar rDNA product that mimics the C-Peptide molecule in the body. I wonder what the health risks of this GMO C-Peptide will be?

3. Hypoglycemia unawareness. Low blood sugar can cause seizures in diabetics. They can be very violent life-threatening siezures. I have read countless times that the older non-gmo insulin that is harvested from beef/pigs does allow the user to "feel" when they get a low blood sugar. The symptoms of low blood sugar are non existant for up to 17% of diabetics as of several years ago. This is a big one, becuase many people are left disabled because of this hypo-unawareness. Many emloyers will refuse employment or find a reason to fire someone if they have a seizure on the job. I know more than one person it's happened to.

I have outlined most of the benefits and risks of GMO insulin above. I did some studying and found that close to 50% of all diabetics collect SSDI (social security disability income) because of the complications which include: Hypoglycemia unawareness, which can lead to seizure. Blindness, which can lead to expensive laser surgery. Loss of circulation to extremities, and breakdown of the kidneys which can lead to expensive lengthy painful dialysis treatments along with lenghy hospital stays.

With all the discussion about the Affordable Care Act lately, I wanted to outline another aspect of this. All of the companies that make the insulin, insulin pumps, test strips, ketone test strips, glucose tablets, diabetes pills for type II, dialysis machine makers, and hospitals make about $250 billion net income before taxes each year.

There are close to 40 million diabetics in North America (that includes Canada and Mexico). They say that the rate of diabetes is about 19 million diabetics in the USA ALONE! That means to me that the SSDI program could have a significant ease of the costs by the FDA ALLOWING A CURE FOR THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE!!!!

There are a lot of companies that have been working on the "cure" for many years. I have watched as the different companies have devised different methods that are in some cases applicable to humans.

If the President of the United States of America wants to give the USA a big burst of fiscal income, find the companies who have made an effective cure and allow them to have fast-track approval of their medical devices/implanted cells ny the FDA! If 19 million Americans were able to get off of GMO insulin, there are a lot of those who COULD GO BACK TO WORK!!!!

Not to mention the fact that the USA could become a curing center for the world, and reap the taxed income of any of those who could afford to travel to the USA for the cure.

In fact, if any medical trials have proven results with any disease, the USA should fast-track those companies to getting approval and getting "cure" clinics set up around the world that the USA can reap tax benefits from.

Many people have told me that diabetes is a "managable" disease. I want to inform ATS that at least 50% of people have problems controlling their blood sugars, which lead to many other health issues that cost a lot on our medicaid and medicare programs.

What I've outlined here is what I see as being the only way to get the USA out of it's debt problems. Not to mention allowing people to avoid potential health risks of GMO insulin!

Sources:

Livestrong-The pros and cons of GMO insulin...

Wikipedia-M-Cresol is derived from coal tar...

Preventdisease.com-Eli Lilly Continues To Destroy The Health Of Diabetics With M-Cresol And Preservatives...

American Diabetes Association-The Cost of Diabetes...

The last thing I have to say about all of this is that if the FDA would fast-track a cure to this horrible disease, it would generate FAR MORE than the $245 billion that the government reaps a miniscule percentage of in taxes. Many of those people who are disabled from the horrible disease most likely would have a chance if the FDA would start fast-tracking some of the newer diabetes research.

Please share your thoghts ATS.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Also another thing I should point out that is right up until about 1991 insulin was priced at around $28/bottle. Today, it costs around $185 a bottle, and you have to pay for that until you meet your deductible, which has risen to over $1000 a year for many people with standard "good" health insurance. Just the cost increase to the Medicaid and Medicare programs in the last 15 years has grown over 6 times...

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Here the link to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for M-Cresol, AKA Meta-Cresol:

M-Cresol MSDS Safety Sheet-PDF

Eye Exposure: ]Causes eye burns. May result in corneal injury.

Skin: Causes skin burns. May cause dermatitis. Toxic in contact with skin.

Ingestion: Causes severe digestive tract burns with abdominal pain, vomiting, and possible death. Aspiration of material into the lungs may cause chemical pneumonitis, which may be fatal. Toxic if swallowed. Inhalation: Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May be harmful if inhaled. 

Chronic: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. Repeated exposure may cause central nervous system damage. Adverse reproductive effects have been reported in animals. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Animal studies have reported the development of tumors.

Notice above under the section Chronic, that I bolded "May cause liver and kidney damage." What is chroic exposure? Chroic exposure means continual exposure. Any doctor who tells me that a "small amount" of something this toxic is NOT A HEALTH risk is delusional. The reason it is chroic exposure is because diabetics have to take many insulin injections each day, if they are dependant on this chemically preserved product. Everybody knows that health of the kidneys is directly tied to how long a diabetic lives. I am a little outraged that they haven't even tried to formulate a product that uses a more natural preservative that is still compatible with the mixture.

Something people should know is that often times when insulin is injected that it also burns very badly (not all the time, but sometimes is is vicious). Just note on the MSDS how it says that M-Cresol can cause severe burns on the skin. I think they put a lot more than the 30milligrams/bottle that they admit to.

Here is a link to a diabetes forum talking about the m-cresol and other phenols that are added as preservatives to "insulin":

Diabtesforums.com-Preservatives Added to Insulin

From the diabetes forum above:

These preservatives are not safe, I have been a type 1 for 57 years and developed an inflamatory problem that could not be identified, seems to be my body's reaction to the preservatives, they are petroleum solvents aka benzene and tolulene check out the haz mat sheets.

Spoke to our local office of the fda and they told me these chemicals have an accululative effect, there is no way to rid the body of the disasterous effects of these chemicals. Local poison control didn't know what to do. Spoke to a chemical engineer after he got over the shock, told me there was no way to rid the body, and a constant influx of the chemicals either by injection or infusion will continue to destroy the tissues.

As it is I am having a problem looking for new infusion sights or injection sites as the tissues or so damaged the insulin does not absorb correctly, sometimes I have to overdose just to get the right amount, i lose about 25% in the damaged tissues.

I will point out that diabetics often do become "insulin resistant" and there are many causes for that, but is there a possible link with that health problem and the m-cresol? I think it warrants further investigation by people have used this product since its public release in 1983!
edit on 10/9/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I'm just curious here...but how are we defining GMO? You note it goes back as far as regular Insulin has been available and for all I know, that's entirely accurate. I had thought the ability to successfully manipulate life and organisms on the genetic level was a relatively new science and new skill though?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Well, this thread reaffirmed my suspicions about my Novolog. I have been diabetic since 1995 after having a virus that almost killed myself and my unborn son (now 18). The virus attacked my lungs and pancreas and mutated my islet cells so that they are now unable to function.

I have to use Novolog, I get it free. I really have no other choice, because I could never afford to buy both my R and NPH insulin. I use mostly Novolog fast acting and one Novolin NPH at night for extended control.

I have used almost all available injection sites on my body until I have "alligator skin" that just bends needles. My brother is a PHD in Pharmacy, I am going to call him later and get his opinion on this. But I must add that he 'toes the line' when it comes to pharmaceuticals. He believes that the more medicine you take, the better off you are........

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I'm just curious here...but how are we defining GMO? You note it goes back as far as regular Insulin has been available and for all I know, that's entirely accurate. I had thought the ability to successfully manipulate life and organisms on the genetic level was a relatively new science and new skill though?

The reason it is genetically modified is because it is genetically recombined dna of E.Coli bacteria, where their DNA is changed to mimic the structure and activity of insulin. There are key differences between the GMO insulin (recombidant-or rDNA origin) and the insulin that a healthy pancreas produces.

Here is the Wiki Link to rDNA and how it involves genetic modification:

rDNA - Wikipedia

Recombinant DNA (rDNA) molecules are DNA molecules formed by laboratory methods of genetic recombination (such as molecular cloning) to bring together genetic material from multiple sources, creating sequences that would not otherwise be found in biological organisms.

If you read the above, would you want to willingly inject that into your body with the other things I've mentioned above.

The key difference is the lack of C-Peptide. C-Peptide is VERY IMPORTANT in the body, and because it is produced by the pancreas-diabetics have reduced or negligble levels of it.

Link to - C-Peptide - Wikipedia

The connecting peptide, or C-peptide, is a short 31-amino-acid protein that connects insulin's A-chain to its B-chain in the proinsulin molecule.

In the insulin synthesis pathway, first preproinsulin is secreted from the beta cells of the pancreas with an A-chain, a C-peptide, a B-chain, and a signal sequence. The signal sequence is cleaved from the N-terminus of the peptide by a signal peptidase, leaving proinsulin. Then the C-peptide is removed, leaving the A-chain and B-chain that constitute the insulin molecule.

Cellular effects of C-peptide - C-peptide has been shown to bind to the surface of a number of cell types such as neuronal, endothelial, fibroblast and renal tubular, at nanomolar concentrations to a receptor that is likely G-protein-coupled. The signal activates Ca2+-dependent intracellular signaling pathways such as MAPK, PLCγ, and PKC, leading to upregulation of a range of transcription factors as well as eNOS and Na+K+ATPase activities.The latter two enzymes are known to have reduced activities in patients with type I diabetes and have been implicated in the development of long-term complications of type I diabetes such as peripheral and autonomic neuropathy.

In vivo studies in animal models of type 1 diabetes have established that C-peptide administration results in significant improvements in nerve and kidney function. Thus, in animals with early signs of diabetes-induced neuropathy, C peptide treatment in replacement dosage results in improved peripheral nerve function, as evidenced by increased nerve conduction velocity, increased nerve Na+,K+ ATPase activity, and significant amelioration of nerve structural changes. Likewise, C-peptide administration in animals that had C-peptide deficiency (type 1 model) with nephropathy improves renal function and structure; it decreases urinary albumin excretion and prevents or decreases diabetes-induced glomerular changes secondary to mesangial matrix expansion.
C-peptide also has been reported to have anti-inflammatory effects as well as aid repair of smooth muscle cells.

If you study diabetes, there is lots of proof that it is an inflammatory-related condition, and the key is the pancreas is the organ which is inflamed. If you read the wikipedia above, you will see that C-Peptide is produced by the pancreas, protects the kidneys, among a whole bunch of other health benefits. There are even some who suggest the possibilty that lack of C-Peptide (especially in type 1 diabetes) could be part of the cause of the kidney and eye complications, even if a person keeps their blood sugars in tight control.

Lack of C-Peptide in the newer GMO "insulin" is a big problem. Beef and pork insulin have C-Peptide, and GMO does not. A real molecue of insulin a.k.a. pro-insulin is a far different molecule that this GMO hocus pocus.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Wikipedia link to Proinsulin: Wikipedia - Proinsulin

Proinsulin is synthesized in the endoplasmic reticulum, where it is folded and its disulfide bonds are oxidized. It is then transported to the Golgi apparatus where it is packaged into secretory vesicles, and where it is processed by a series of proteases to form mature insulin. Mature insulin has 35 fewer amino acids; 4 are removed altogether, and the remaining 31 form the C-peptide. The C-peptide is abstracted from the center of the proinsulin sequence; the two other ends (the B chain and A chain) remain connected by disulfide bonds.

The proinsulin molecue has C-Peptide at the center of it, and it is naturally produced by the pancreas of a non-diabetic.

Here is a link to a medical study that discusses the lack of C-Peptide in the Genetically Recombined (gmo) insulin: Proinsulin C-peptide: Friend or foe in the development of diabetes-associated complications?

Quoted from the study:

Abstract: The proinsulin connecting peptide, C-peptide, is a cleavage product of insulin synthesis that is co-secreted with insulin by pancreatic β-cells following glucose stimulation. Recombinant insulin, used in the treatment of diabetes, lacks C-peptide and preclinical and clinical studies suggest that lack of C-peptide may exacerbate diabetes-associated complications.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This lack of C-Peptide is serious because it leads to a condition called hypoglycemia unawareness--(which is the inability of the body to feel or sense the onset of a low blood sugar. In diabetics, if they do too much of this rDNA insulin, they can go into seizures or be disoriented and appear drunk and confused. The brain cells begin the death process when starved of glucose-- (sugar). Insulin seizures are capable of, and at times have killed people, or damaged their brains so badly in some cases that the person becomes disabled.

There are companies that are working on an rDNA form of C-Peptide, specifically Cebix pharmaceuticals. I wonder what the risks of that will be? I don't want to wait to find out.

There are also companies that are starting to compete for the "race to the cure." Bio-hub and Sernova that are working on a cure for diabetes. Sernova has progressed from a pre-clinical stage company to a clinical-stage company who just completed their first successfull human trial. If you want to know more about them see the thread linked in my signature for info about what they are doing.

Edit: Link to Hypoglycemia Unawareness at Diabetesjournals.org: Hypoglycemia From the Laboratory to the Clinic

The FDA needs to fast-track all the companies that have a potential cure.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Novalog, Humalog, Regular, and all the long-acting insulins are all made by the rDNA process these days. They ALL lack c-peptide...

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

There's a book out called Insulin: A Voice for Choice by author Arthur Teuscher. He talks about some of the issues I've mentioned here today. Specifically he talks about hypoglycemia-unawareness, and reactions that diabetics are having to rDNA origin insulin. The pharmaceutical companies all say their product is 100% safe, but he points out the flaws in these corporations' claims.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Well thank you for the reply. You've given me a lot to look at and consider on this when I get that elusive thing called 'free time'.

I am diabetic and it's what cost me a life's career in truck driving (well... I cost me my career by horrendous diet ...diabetes is the price I couldn't pay for it). I'm not insulin dependent though, thank god. My wife is, but this is all somewhat new to me, having never paid that much attention to it. Your info is appreciated to add to the oveall topic.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thank you for your reply Wrabbit. I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with the horrible illess. I have had much the same experiences with losing jobs in the past as well. I am a type 1 who has had it since I was a baby. I've lost jobs multiple times from having seizures or the nasty side-effects of high blood sugar as well. I have had painful gastroparesis which is where your gut doesn't digest the food you put in it and causes screaming acid burn in the throat and stomach.

I've had it for a long time, but I use lots of natural herbs to help me with it. I can still see, my kidneys still work, and my circulation is still good. I'm grateful for all of that.

It sounds like you have type ii diabetes. There are a lot of supplements that help diabetes, and I would be willing to share that info if people want to know.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Yeah, I have Type II. I even recall when I first learned it. I was home for the weekend from a long run to the West coast and realized...while driving on an errand across town, I couldn't remember why I'd even left the house or where, precisely I was going. THAT was terrifying in ways hard to describe for me. I got home to find on my wife's meter, my sugar was in the 60's.....while other checks over the following couple months saw it as high as 220. Err.... This crap we eat and cannot even pronounce the ingredients for from the back label is killing us...as sure as a big frosty glass of hemlock. It's just doing it in slow motion, eh?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I heard that type II is caused by a lot of things, and it's true that diet changes are good and can help people with both types of diabetes.

Carbohydrates all are converted into sugars in the body, if they are not sugars already. Excess sugars are converted into fat in the body if they are not needed as fuel.

We have all heard it before to not eat the sugar! The biggest thing I have found is that lowering the amount of carbohydrates in the diet will help avoid the high AND low spikes.

There's a great book out there called The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein. It is a SEVERELY restrictive diet of all carbohydrates and sugars, and it might be too intense for some people. The thing of it is that it is a guide on ways to reduce carbohydrate intake to a minimum but still get enough food. I can do his diet, but I have to have SOME carbs or I lose too much weight. I try to keep it to about 50 grams of carbs per meal, and I have less bad blood sugars. I also have to add two snacks with three meals each day, but the snacks are usually just veggies or something low carb.

The idea is this: Less carbs=less insulin/glucophage=less room for error. I just wish they had a cure for type 1 now... Here's to hoping for some real change, lol

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I should also point out that Dr. Bernstein's diet only allows 25 carbs per meal at the most, but I had to raise it to 50. I was down to 160 lbs, and that's underweight for my size. Today I sit at about 185, which is perfect.

Some anti-oxidants that have been found in medical studies to greatly help diabetics (and I have taken for years) are L-Carnosine, and Ubiquinol. Those two can reverse cross-linking in medical studies, which is what causes things like diabetic retinopathy and kidney damage. I don't have any specific links to post for the studies, but look those two up. They are powerful in anti-aging as well.

The thing I want in this thread is to help people in the world that have it with some things I've found over the years. The biggest thing that me and close to half a billion people want is a cure though.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have had type 1 Diabetes since the age of 4 (I am now 28). Although I could do a lot better at controlling my disease, I have always thought about how well does my insulin actually work. I tend to go through cycles where I take care of myself very strictly to where I go back to not watching my diet all that well. The main reason for this is that even when I am taking care of myself I do not feel like my insulin is always working. also It is VERY expensive (even though I live in Canada where healthcare is relatively cheap) and in this economy its hard to keep up a good diet and still afford my insulin. This post has opened my eyes a bit and now I will be doing some research into this.

If there was a cure I would be on of the first to get it, no matter the cost. I would find a way.

Good post OP
edit on 9-10-2013 by smithas05 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My kid is type 1 diabetic and we have novorapid in insulin pump. He was diagnosed at age 3 ( he is 9 now ) and there is only one insulin in the markets which is made of cow and its for special permit preparation only, its a basal insulin. All insulins are insulin analogs so there is not much you can choose from if you want your type 1 diabetic to stay alive. You can´t vote with your feet/wallet in this matter.

There have been so many type 1 diabetic mice cured but none of these cures have worked on us humans. In New Zealand there were very promising results on piglets islet cells injected in human ( these piglets were breeded in highly hygienic and uncontamined environment ) this research started when New Zealand lifted the ban of xenotransplantations in 1998, when they started to get results.. year 2000 swine flu happened and ended this research totally cos of the fear of swine flu.

Anyway the "cures" there are in research, most of them focus in wrong direction. When type1 diabetes is caused by patient own immune system to attack beta cells of pancreas, most of these so called cures are about injecting more insulin producing beta cells in human liver and trying to coat them and protect from immune systems attacks while the actual reason why this happens are unsolved.

Most likely te cure will be found in stem cell research.. not in pigs or cows.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by smithas05

I have noticed over the years of using GMO insulin that the body at times seems to buid a resistance. I also had to move my injection sites from the belly to the arm to get better absorption of the "insulin". I try to keep tight control but it's tough. Today I woke up with a blood sugar of
108 mg/dl which is considered great for a waking blood sugar. An hour and a half later my blood sugar went to 260 mg/dl which is horrible. The worst thing is I didn't eat anything and it just went up by itself. It's a battle every day, and I wish you the very best.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
We never give up hope.. and there is always some light in horizon

Vacc ine might stop Immune attack

I guess some researches have started to solve problem where problem is..

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

The difference in Sernova is one key thing. Dr. James Shapiro and his team found that when they combine sertolin cells with the islets, the sertolin cells protect the islets. This was done in Edmonton, Alberta.

The differnce here will be that with the patient only has to stay on the immunosuppresive drugs for 3 months, then the sertolin cells will take over protection. See the thread in my signature, and research how theirs' is different.

Edit to add: Their patent is approved in Australia, Japan, and North America. Let's just hope it works on humans, and gets approved if it does.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join