It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleaning up some anti GMO disinformation that has been littering the internet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by Hollie

I understand what you are trying to get across with your OP.

But I respectfully have to disagree with your assessment.

Why would I as a consumer purchase seeds from a company that is owned by the likes of Monsanto, whether they are GMO or not?

Voting with your wallet is way more powerful than voting for a politician whom will promise you the world then go in the total opposite direction once they are in office.

Corporations depend on money, NOT votes. So, by those like me whom do not agree with GMO's being in our foods, (especially, when we DO NOT have the right to know) voting with my wallet seems to be the only option I have left.......

Okay maybe I didn't make some things clear when discussing Monsanto owned seed companies. Seminis is owned by Monsanto. Seminis sells their non GMO seeds to family owned seed sellers. They develop things like "Better Boy" and resell them. You do not have to support any seed company that buys from Semenis of course. That's one way to boycott Monsanto. That and not buying fuel and processed foods.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

dollukka
Your Desk ( location) at Monsanto ?

Nice thread tho i disagree. Monsanto isn´t the only company marketing GMO seed there are others too so i find this humorous as you speak for Monsanto only.

GMO seeds might be expensive at the start of creation at labs BUT as any other seeds and plant which produces seeds.. the expenses goes down.. in the long run

I speak only of Monsanto because that is all that I am seeing memes and disinformation for. Monsanto is popular. What do you disagree with, may I ask?
edit on 7-10-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Hollie

qwerty12345
reply to post by Hollie

Well all I've garnered from your post was that you love Monsanto and will die for their cause. I figured it was my civil duty to make the reply I did to remind my fellow earthlings that no corporation is out for the interest of the population. It's ALWAYS about control & profit; that's the bottom line because Stone Cold said so.

Oh and I apologize for not posting the various links littered on ATS itself about the claims I've made against Monsanto, but they're there.
edit on 7-10-2013 by qwerty12345 because: 9-11

I am sorry qwerty, I am talking about seeds. Not control and profit, but seeds and plants that people buy online or in home gardening stores.

That's kinda like starting a thread about the National Security Agency with the ground rules that the only thing being talked about is the quality of food in the 2nd floor cafeteria. Well...it works to say but wouldn't work to happen I think.

In terms of seeds...a local seed bank here is having to regularly flush it's seeds to maintain Legacy seed stock and purge the garbage. The first time the owner did it, he realized he had more junk than clean legacy stock.

Interesting for contamination, eh? I imagine it's why the Global Seed bank was created and sealed up before the GMO garbage really hit the fields in a serious way.
edit on 7-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Tinkerpeach

Hollie
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I cannot go into the honey bees. I am talking about seeds on the open market. That is what this article is about.

I don't think that buying GMO seeds on the open market is even a concern among most people though. Its all the other issues regarding this that have a larger priority, this is why not many are addressing your actual post.

It is a concern, so much so that lies are being spread. Same for silly memes and pledges. All the forums, especially the gardening ones are full of questions like "how do I purchase non-GMO seeds". Take a peek on your favorite search engine. Natural News, Mother Earth, and other popular sites have many articles about how to avoid buying non-GMO seeds. None of them mention the fact that you CANNOT buy GMO seeds LOL.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

In terms of seeds...a local seed bank here is having to regularly flush it's seeds to maintain Legacy seed stock and purge the garbage. The first time the owner did it, he realized he had more junk than clean legacy stock.

My article is about gardeners buying GMO seeds. Also, could you link to the local seed bank that did a purge please? I am curious of what junk he had.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Monsanto Owns Blackwater (Black Ops)
Another piece of persistent disinformation. Monsanto does not own Blackwater. Monsanto did not buy Blackwater. Monsanto did not buy a subsidiary of Blackwater.
Monsanto contracted with Total Intelligence Solutions for a couple of years.

Did Monsanto buy Xe or its subsidiary? No.

“…According to internal Total Intelligence communications, biotech giant Monsanto… hired the firm in 2008–09.”

“Hired by” is not the same as “was bought by”.

“…Black added that Total Intelligence ‘would develop into acting as intel arm of Monsanto.”
‘Black also noted that Monsanto was concerned about animal rights activists and that they discussed how Blackwater ‘could have our person(s) actually join [activist] group(s) legally.’ Black wrote that initial payments to Total Intelligence would be paid out of Monsanto’s ‘generous protection budget’ but would eventually become a line item in the company’s annual budget. He estimated the potential payments to Total Intelligence at between $100,000 and $500,000. According to documents, Monsanto paid Total Intelligence $127,000 in 2008 and $105,000 in 2009.”

redgreenandblue.org...

edit on 10/7/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That's kinda like starting a thread about the National Security Agency with the ground rules that the only thing being talked about is the quality of food in the 2nd floor cafeteria. Well...it works to say but wouldn't work to happen I think.

Interesting for contamination, eh? I imagine it's why the Global Seed bank was created and sealed up before the GMO garbage really hit the fields in a serious way.

Not much more can be said, after that one Wrabbit! Star for you my friend! Science speaks without having to say a word..........

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinkerpeach

nothing good ever came out of monsanto
Timeline of Monsanto's Dark History

link   
FFS!

Toxicology Expert Speaks Out About Roundup and GMOs
articles.mercola.com... ontent=art1&utm_campaign=20131006Z1

Dr. Don Huber is likely the leading GMO expert in the world. He is an award-winning, internationally recognized scientist, and professor of plant pathology at Purdue University for the past 35 years.

His agriculture research is focused on the epidemiology and control of soil-borne plant pathogens, with specific emphasis on microbial ecology, cultural and biological controls, and the physiology of host-parasite relationships.

His research over the past few decades has led him to become very outspoken against genetically modified organisms (GMO) and genetically engineered (GE) foods and the use of Roundup in agriculture in general.

He’s really one of the best scientists we have in the GMO movement for documenting the dangers of genetically engineered foods.

“I appreciate the opportunity to share a little bit of my research and the research of many other scientists who are expressing concern; recognizing that we’ve missed the boat in much of this discussion and much of the process, because it’s really a food and health safety issue that we’re dealing with here,” he says.

Three Things You Need to Know About GMOs

There’s a lot of confusion about the basic validity of concerns about genetically engineered (GE) foods. Many have been deceived into thinking that there’s really no difference between GE foods and conventional fare, and all these worries are just paranoid fear-mongering.

According to Dr. Huber, the following three facts are some of the most important that everyone needs to understand about GMOs:

Despite what the media and so-called “experts” proclaim, there are NO peer-reviewed scientific papers establishing the safety of GMO crops.

According to Dr. Huber, so far, no one has been able to establish that there’s a safety factor to either the genetically engineered proteins (i.e. the foreign proteins produced by the genetically modified plant) or the chemicals we’re consuming in ever larger quantities as a result of the genetic engineering process.

There are, however, both clinical and peer-reviewed scientific papers showing the hazards of GMO crops, including harmful secondary effects.

“A group of us met with top USDA administrators. They assured us that they based all their decisions on peer-reviewed science. When we asked them if they would share any of that, they were unable to produce any,” he says.

Epidemiological patterns show there’s an identical rise in over 30 human diseases correlated with our increased usage of glyphosate and the increased prevalence of genetically engineered proteins in our food.
Genetically engineered foods, as well as conventional crops that are heavily sprayed with glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto’s herbicide Roundup), have lower nutrient density than organic foods. They also contain high amounts of pesticides with documented harmful health effects, along with novel, highly allergenic, proteins.

or allow a 14 year old to school you
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Timeline of Monsanto's Dark History

link   

IandEye
reply to post by Hollie

i'd like to clear something up for you: its mostly the people who eat food- which is a lot of people- who are concerned about GMOs and the gardener has already figured this manure out. Why not bring up "heirloom" seeds as well? they are GMO-free and historically meaningful.

gardening is almost as old as humanity itself- they really have got it figured out. you don't have to go on a rampage about how Miracle-Gro isn't really organic next.....

I did not bring up heirloom seeds because I am saying that ALL seeds are GMO free that are sold to the general public. And no, a lot of gardeners obviously do not know that GMO is simply not available to them. Look on any reputable gardening, health, or conspiracy site and you will see tons of articles about how to avoid GMO seeds in the garden.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, you went and killed my thread LOL. I blame you!!!
Oh well. I was simply trying to help other anti-GMO'ers with information. Instead I was accused of working for Monsanto and got one quick flurry of responses that had absolutely nothing to do with the article.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

I know how you feel.

For some reason the anti-GMO crowd doesn't like it when the lies perpetrated by their side of the fence are pointed out. I guess they don't mind being lied to if those lies support their position. Of course, anyone who points out those lies is immediately branded as pro-GMO (or more usually, a shill). It sort of stifles any chance for a decent discussion of the actual facts.

The inevitable result is the, "Oh yeah, well, what about this...." defense.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Tinkerpeach

Hollie

I cannot go into the honey bees. I am talking about seeds on the open market. That is what this article is about.

I don't think that buying GMO seeds on the open market is even a concern among most people though. Its all the other issues regarding this that have a larger priority, this is why not many are addressing your actual post.

Its a bit irrelevant to the larger issue.

Kind of like saying product A causes cancer but it doesn't affect your fingernail growth as some have said. Its like, so what?

" Its a bit irrelevant to the larger issue. "

How so ? I think it is Very Revelant . Crops Grown from Monsanto and Bayer CropScience GMO Seeds are known to be Deadly to Honeybee Populations because of Pesticides Engineered into their Genetic Structure , and as for the Effects those Crops have on Humans who Digest them , well , Monsanto is aweful Silent about Studies by Independent Scientists that Claim they are exposing people to possible Serious Health Risks without them knowing about it .

www.undergroundhealth.com...

www.naturalnews.com...

articles.mercola.com...
edit on 7-10-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

jude11
It would be easier if you just said that Monsanto is innocent of any wrongdoings and are actually a helpful part of our society rather than the Monster that so many Countries are trying to ban.

Do you honestly believe that Nations banning Monsanto are doing it because they are ignorant and uneducated?

I won't even begin to go into the research done, papers published, results found and just how and why Monsanto is deemed by many as perhaps the biggest criminal corporation in the World and the most dangerous threat to our food supply that the World has ever seen.

Nope, not gonna do it...

As for not being a threat to the home gardener...give it time. Ask how much of a threat it will be when you can't buy seed for your garden anymore.

Peace

edit on 7-10-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Spot on post and many thanks for posting what most of us think and know.

Star
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Hollie

I know how you feel.

For some reason the anti-GMO crowd doesn't like it when the lies perpetrated by their side of the fence are pointed out. I guess they don't mind being lied to if those lies support their position. Of course, anyone who points out those lies is immediately branded as pro-GMO (or more usually, a shill). It sort of stifles any chance for a decent discussion of the actual facts.

The inevitable result is the, "Oh yeah, well, what about this...." defense.

So I have noticed. An example is the commentor right below your comment. The links he/she just published are not reputable and known to spread the exact disinformation that I was addressing in the OP.

edit on 7-10-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

edit on 7-10-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

" So I have noticed. An example is the commentor right below your comment. The links he/she just published are not reputable and known to spread the exact disinformation that I was addressing in the OP. ( "

Care to elaborate further on why you feel the Links i Posted are somehow irreputable ? I guess your Scientic Expertise is more reputable than theirs ?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Well, from your first link:

While it is hard to say if the mass die-off is solely due to genetically altered seeds and not drought or fungal issues, European scientists have linked bee epidemics to neonicotinoids, which are incorporated into plants grown from genetically altered seeds produced by Monsanto.
Can you provide evidence that neonicotinoids are incorporated into GM plants?

Your second link:

Now, a new study out of Purdue University in Indiana has not only confirmed, once again, that clothianidin is killing off bees, but also that clothianidin's toxicity is systemic throughout the entire food chain, which could one day lead to the catastrophic destruction of the food supply.
Can you provide evidence that clothianidin (a neonicotinoid) is incorporated into GM plants?

Your third link about a Norway study linking obesity to GM feed. I don't you could supply a link to the actual study could you?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I guess you missed my question.
Can you provide evidence that neonicotinoids are incorporated into GM plants?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join