It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first pictures of Ison seen from Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Hello

Sry if this has been posted I did not see it, but I am surprised I have not seen it

These are the first pictures of Ison taken by the HiRISE camera aboard NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Well it's doesn't look like much but these are the only 4 images that have been released so far..

I sure hope it puts on a better show for us

www.uahirise.org...

These images show a 256 x 256 pixel patch of sky at the range to the comet of 8 million miles and when the solar phase angle is 47 degrees. Three more observations of ISON are planned for 1 and 2 October as the comet moves through closest approach to Mars at 7 million miles, but with less illumination as seen from Mars.

Based on preliminary analysis of the data, the comet appears to be at the low end of the range of brightness predictions for the observation. As a result, the image isn't visually pleasing but low coma activity is best for constraining the size of the nucleus. This image has a scale of approximately 8 miles (13.3 km) per pixel, larger than the comet, but the size of the nucleus can be estimated based on the typical brightness of other comet nuclei. The comet, like Mars, is currently 241 million kilometers from the Sun. As the comet gets closer to the sun, its brightness will increase to Earth-based observers and the comet may also become intrinsically brighter as the stronger sunlight volatilizes the comet's ices.

edit on 6-10-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Beautiful shot of the stars, kinda hard to see it, but its bada**...

Honestly i wouldn't have looked for it myself so i appreciate you bringing this to our attention

Are they gonna light ISON up like its strutting on a runway? I hope so.
edit on 7-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I guess a few of my question have been answered LOL
Possibly a unique photo opportunity for NASA's new Curiosity rover
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Is this picture supposed to mean somethingÉ

I am not an astronomer É

What am I looking atÉ

Question mark is leaving a strange É ÉÉÉ whats going on ÉÉÉ

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Trillium
I guess a few of my question have been answered LOL
Possibly a unique photo opportunity for NASA's new Curiosity rover
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What, another rock to look at! Look, this rock is Elvis!

Sorry. could not resist. The first couple of rock threads were entertaining.

I also do not think much of the image or any of the images of ISON for that matter.

I will wait until there are good photos with cool resolution.

P

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Cool pics!

Just for the record, all those "stars" in the images are just digital noise. Sorry to disappoint! The HiRISE camera was made to look down at the relatively bright surface of Mars, not at the darkness of space.

The rover Curiosity has also taken images of ISON during its close encounter with Mars, but unfortunately we can't even see the comet in those images, just the noise.
mars.nasa.gov...
Comet ISON Search
edit on 7-10-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It looks like a scorpion....lol

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
kinda of a dissapointment after seeing the title...

This looks almost like a classic white noise screen on TV when there is no signal...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Well it's doesn't look like much but these are the only 4 images that have been released so far..

Is this one of those pics where you hold it close to your face and slowly pull it away to see the object in the picture?

I am just kidding, but that is hard to see with all the other stuff in the picture.

new topics

top topics

join