It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON : Realtime Image and Info 2013

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
here another Image update Oct 2013..

8 Oct 2013, Jon Talbot,, Ocean Springs, MS

9 Oct 2013 John Chumack,,Yellow Springs, Ohio USA..Lovely green..

AMAZING!

9 Oct 2013 Efrain Morales Rivera,, Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

You're right. I rounded 0.0127 au (Astronomical Units) down to 0.01. So it's actually 1,180,000 miles. It's also on the 28th, not the 29th.

2013-Nov-28 19:00 0.012698951835

edit on 10/10/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Ronnie6657
Some new information... Kind of interesting earthsky.org...

Thanks, this seems to explain the less-than-brilliant performance of the comet so far, and gives us good hopes for the perihelion. This also explains the distinct sunward-facing jet that the comet developped - its sunward side has been getting so much heat!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Here is another video by BP concerning Ison... For those that are interested in varying opinions and facts... Haha

Btw... New image

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Seems that BP realized that he doesn't get any revenue from embedded videos.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Phage

You're right. I rounded 0.0127 au (Astronomical Units) down to 0.01. So it's actually 1,180,000 miles. It's also on the 28th, not the 29th.

2013-Nov-28 19:00 0.012698951835

No, no... You misunderstand me. I appreciate the updated value, but my question is where are you getting these numbers. What values did you set because I'm still not seeing the second number you provided. I would like to see it on the ephemeris.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Ephemeris Type [change] : OBSERVER
Target Body [change] : Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON)
Observer Location [change] : Mercury (body center) [500@199]
Time Span [change] : Start=2013-11-28, Stop=2013-11-30, Step=1 h
Table Settings [change] : QUANTITIES=19,20

Aannnddd. You're right again. I was looking at the wrong column, the heliocentric distance.
Looks like 0.242 au for Mercury.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah, I'm unfamiliar with the codes and exactly how the tables works but did finally get it to calculate from mercury... there's still quite a few numbers to look at regardless but 22.4 mil miles from mercury sounds a lot more in line with what some of the other models are showing. Looking at solarsystemscope, I couldn't see any reason to think it was too far off. Of course it's not meant to be exact but sometimes too many details just makes it more confusing and the model doesn't seem too bad for those looking for a user friendly one. I was getting outside of 20 mil as an approximation on the sss model which is far enough for me. I thought I had seen it much closer on other models, but can't find them. 22.4 mil seems to be the reasonable distance. I can't find anything suggesting it will come closer after looking.

edit on 4201331AM10AM47p02America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Whateva69
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy i thought you may like to see this, thornews on his youtube channel released this 2 hours ago, he explains why he thinks comet Ison is not a comet.

Love and harmony
Whateva

The video seems a bit ridiculous and out of context at the beginning, but one of the speaker bring in something interesting worth of considering. He mentions comet having a forward facing jet is completely ridiculous. In the video: 1:50- 2:10 for this part.

Now, as I am not expert on comets, could anyone confirm or debunk if comets have forward facing jet?
The other question is where did the guy get his graphics and picture for making such claims?

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I think I just figured out who that guy talking in the video is.

He's a comedian who wears hippy glasses. His stand up is hilarious.

I am almost 100% positive that is who that is. Was I not supposed to give away his identify?

he's already been on TV...so I guess no harm done.
edit on 4201331AM10AM07p33America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Kuroodo
Heres a video for you guys about the chemical makeup of ISON

You might call me crazy, but professor Mccanney was right on one thing, that comet ISON would turn green.

Yes that is very true, it proves whether how far fetched any theory might be, if we are to look into individual elements of a theory there could be right statements as well a wrong ones.

Good lesson in my opinion,

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You might call me crazy, but professor Mccanney was right on one thing, that comet ISON would turn green.

He was right, but for the wrong reasons. The green is produced in Earths atmosphere, the comet is not green, and there are no images from space that show a green comet. The comet is also not warming from the heat of the Sun, as there is no heat from the Sun. What IS happening is that the comet is emitting x-rays, and those x-rays cause atomic oxygen in our outmosphere to produce the green.

Swift Detects X-Ray Emissions from Comets
www.universetoday.com...

As the Comet gets closer to the Sun, there is a stronger electric field, and interactions of the comet with the electric field charges up the coma of the comet so that x-rays are produced. The ionosphere of Mars also emits x-rays, but of a different energy level, and those emissions produce the red colour, again from interactions of atomic oxygen in our atmosphere, making Mars look red.

Mars Glows In X-Rays
chandra.harvard.edu...

Spectrum tube colours from oxygen

James McCanney has some rather odd ideas, though I do agree with some of the things he says, but not about the comets. Or that the Moon looks white to us because it's surface is a very dark red-brown. Go figure.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

thruthseek3r

Whateva69
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy i thought you may like to see this, thornews on his youtube channel released this 2 hours ago, he explains why he thinks comet Ison is not a comet.

Love and harmony
Whateva

The video seems a bit ridiculous and out of context at the beginning, but one of the speaker bring in something interesting worth of considering. He mentions comet having a forward facing jet is completely ridiculous. In the video: 1:50- 2:10 for this part.

Now, as I am not expert on comets, could anyone confirm or debunk if comets have forward facing jet?
The other question is where did the guy get his graphics and picture for making such claims?

Thruthseek3r

It's completely normal for comets. Thor doesn't know what he's talking about.
www.astrosurf.com...
www.astrosurf.com...
I suggest you educate yourself on comets on some place other than youtube.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Forward-facing jets on comets is also very new to me, but I asked some astronomers at the credible Facebook group, and apparently they are not that uncommon. That's where the Sun heats the comet directly (as the comet "falls" towards the Sun), and the heating causes the jet.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ok so we finally have a clear sky here where i'm at. I'm planning on looking for ISON around 9pm-11pm tonight. Will i be able to see it during those times? And where do i look? I'm still new to this sorry! I just really want to learn to use my telescope and learn how to look in the sky properly. The only thing i looked at last time i used my telescope was the moon and that was very easy to locate LOL.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Guys! help..i find this picture....is Comet Ison Break Apart??

see larger here..
spaceweathergallery.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

THERE WAS SOME INFO OUT A FEW WEEKS BACK THAT ASTERIOD "ERUS" WAS MOVING ALSO.... ALSO THERE IS ACTUALLY A EUROPEAN OBSERVER THAT HAS VIDEO OF TWO LARGE OBJECTS (LOOK LIKE CYLINDERS) ORBITING ISON AS IT TRAVELS. DON'T HAVE A LINK BUT DO SEARCH

THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE UPDATE AND GREAT PIC./VIDEOS

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

cheesy
Guys! help..i find this picture....is Comet Ison Break Apart??

see larger here..
spaceweathergallery.com...

Looks to me like an artifact from a stacking error; one of his images didn't align correctly with the other images. He was stacking on the comet, so he may have missed one of the frames when telling the program what object in the image to stack on. See all of those white dots all around the image? Those appear to be the stars in the image, the same stars that show up as a series of dots from the other 12 exposures. They're out of alignment though, displaced from the star streak locations by a certain distance (up and to the left slightly). Likewise the "ISON fragment" is probably just one frame of ISON itself displaced from its proper position in the image because one of the frames was not properly aligned.
edit on 11-10-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Potentially Dazzling Comet ISON Should Survive Sun Encounter, Study Suggests: www.space.com...

Latest Images of Comet ISON Show it is ‘Doing Just Fine' - www.universetoday.com...

“We really do not know what comet ISON is going to do when it gets near the Sun,” wrote astronomer Karl Battams of the Comet ISON Observing Campaign website. “But what we can say for certain, right now, is that comet ISON is doing just fine! It continues to behave like a fairly typical, if somewhat smaller-than-average, Oort Cloud comet. It has given no indication that it has fragmented and while such an event can never be ruled out, we see no evidence or hint that the comet is in any imminent danger of doing so. Any reports to the contrary are just speculation.”

Read more: www.universetoday.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
ISON update and cyclone ready to hit Fukushima. Children and pregnant women being asked to stay off W. Coast beaches 2014.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join