It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal prison accused of piling sandbags around feces-eating inmate instead of treating him

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Federal prison officials have agreed to transfer and treat an inmate who was eating his own feces after they were accused in court of placing sandbags around his cell to cover up the smell instead of giving him medical care.

Lawyers said that the inmate “spends most of his time standing with his face very near a wall, staring blankly at the surface before him.”

Federal prison accused of piling sandbags around feces-eating inmate instead of treating him

Hes been seen hoarding his own wast and experimenting with it, rolling it into balls, making sculptures, and placing it on food trays. Sometimes he even smears it on walls, body, and hair. They also say he repeatedly defecated in common-use shower areas. and has been seen consuming his own wast.

So instead of treating him for his obvious issue. they decided to barricade him in to block out smell and having to deal with treatment.

“I thank God for this,” Francisco’s mother, Linda Embrack, told Cohen. “The people said that he was just playing but I knew that he wasn’t just playing.”

edit on 2-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

They should all be sacked.

I have seem people eating their own excrement and its never pleasant but once people start doing (well long before if possible) this they really do need the right kind of care and treatment not sandbags

really i hope the officers responsible for this get sacked.

I mean really you would not treat a dog like this, if you saw your dog eating this stuff you would do something to try and stop it.
edit on 2-10-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Sounds like a mental health issue. Prisons are poorly equipped and unmotivated to help those inmates that suffer from psychiatric issues.
Poor man.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

GrantedBail

Sounds like a mental health issue. Prisons are poorly equipped and unmotivated to help those inmates that suffer from psychiatric issues.
Poor man.

Prisoners develop mental health issues or their preexisting ones are compounded because of the environment. People were not meant to be locked up! Simple as that.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Sounds more like a toothpaste issue to me.

His breath must be horrendous.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt

Federal prison officials have agreed to transfer and treat an inmate who was eating his own feces after they were accused in court of placing sandbags around his cell to cover up the smell instead of giving him medical care.

Lawyers said that the inmate “spends most of his time standing with his face very near a wall, staring blankly at the surface before him.”

Hes been seen hoarding his own wast and experimenting with it, rolling it into balls, making sculptures, and placing it on food trays. Sometimes he even smears it on walls, body, and hair. They also say he repeatedly defecated in common-use shower areas. and has been seen consuming his own wast.

So instead of treating him for his obvious issue. they decided to barricade him in to block out smell and having to deal with treatment.

“I thank God for this,” Francisco’s mother, Linda Embrack, told Cohen. “The people said that he was just playing but I knew that he wasn’t just playing.”

edit on 2-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

Sounds like another inmate whose mind has been destroyed by solitary confinement.

I hope solitary confinement is one day outlawed. It is torture and wreaks havoc on the minds of inmates, many of whom are in prison for non-violent crimes.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The things that go unreported in prisons would make most people sick to their stomachs. The abuse by prison guards runs rampant. If you give someone authority and teach them to not see prisoners as people, but as sub-human ... you get the type of behavior the OP speaks of.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
While I agree that the treatment of the inmate in the OP is terrible, I disagree with the blanket contention that all prison guards are bad and incompetent.

In this case, they should be fired.

Editing to add that I agree with GrantedBail. Prisons are responsible for so many services to inmates that they are overwhelmed in the area of psychiatric care. There just aren't the resources to deal with the volume of mental illness in the prison system.
edit on 10/2/2013 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Unless someone is a psychopathic serial murderer or rapist, or a corrupt blood thirsty politician, judge or anyone in higher positions abusing authority ,no one should ever be in prison. House arrest and bracelets suffice even for murder, most murder is not serial killer and akin to accidental and the person needs life counseling and coaching.

Many of the "crimes" would not even warrant house arrest, and for some, that it is a crime is criminal in itself and those who make it so should be in prison.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Unity_99
Unless someone is a psychopathic serial murderer or rapist, or a corrupt blood thirsty politician, judge or anyone in higher positions abusing authority ,no one should ever be in prison. House arrest and bracelets suffice even for murder, most murder is not serial killer and akin to accidental and the person needs life counseling and coaching.

Many of the "crimes" would not even warrant house arrest, and for some, that it is a crime is criminal in itself and those who make it so should be in prison.

What's it like where you live? Clean streets? Everybody's in a nice suit? The women all wear dresses?

We don't live in a perfect world and we're never going to. Utopian, "Star Trek", ideals about crime and incarceration don't work here. The recidivism rates are evidence of that.

A certain culture in this country thinks it's a status symbol to have been in prison. Others commit crimes so they have a roof over their heads, which they would not otherwise have.

We have a problem with crime in this country. I'm not a fan of incarceration, but your contention that we can do without it is absurd.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I am going to have to agree with you. In the case of California prisons; it took a class action lawsuit to get proper medical and psychiatric care for inmates. They were taken over by a federal receiver and were mandated to provide these services. Inmates were dying at the rate of more than one a week just from lack of medical care. Prisoners were suffering in pain and many life-threatening illnesses were untreated. Someone doing 5 years on a pot charge got the death penalty.

I cannot speak to other states but the culture and mindset of many employed within the CDC is that these inmates are less than human. They mess with inmates big time and there is not one thing they can do about it. Especially in the men's prisons. The conditions are deplorable.

They won their lawsuit but California has kicked and screamed all the way. They have had a federal receiver for the last 10 years and the medical conditions have improved. However they are a long way from irradicating the problem because of the over=crowding issue. There are too many inmates, the system is overwhelmed and inmates get lost in the cracks and fall victim to the incompetents that run the system.

Imagine what it is like in a privatized prison where there is no State oversight??

I would expect that the Federal prisons would have better care but, the problem is the overall attitude towards prisoners and the belief that they are not worthy of even the simplest of human rights.

Makes me sick.

edit on 2-10-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

We have an addiction problem within this country that leads to recidivism. Over half of all prisoners are there because of some type of behavior resulting from a drug problem.

Don't get me wrong. I am all about locking people up that hurt others and that are threats to society. There are some that just shouldn't be allowed to move freely amongst others.

Most of these repeat offenders return because of either addiction or no way to make a living.

We spend money "caging" these people. We could spend the money actually rehabilitating and offering them educational or vocational programs that they could use to become productive citizens. There are people that would take advantage of these programs to turn their lives around.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Prisoners develop mental health issues or their preexisting ones are compounded because of the environment. People were not meant to be locked up! Simple as that.

That and the fact that our mental health system is broken and dependent on dangerous drugs! Also, our prison system has become a dam to collect the overflow of mental health patients due to our pathetic health care system in our country......and NO the Affordable Health Care Act sure is hell not going to address this problem...

Some people DO need locked up. However, in the United States of America, our government has chosen to use our prison system as a form of punishment for people whom are not only mentally ill, but have never harmed anyone financially, mentally OR physically!

As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of thousands in prison or being penalized for harming NO ONE!

What do we expect when we sit blindly and allow this kind of police state to develop???

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

They should all be sacked.

I have seem people eating their own excrement and its never pleasant but once people start doing (well long before if possible) this they really do need the right kind of care and treatment not sandbags

really i hope the officers responsible for this get sacked.

I mean really you would not treat a dog like this, if you saw your dog eating this stuff you would do something to try and stop it.

Just so you know, I purchased a ticket to Hell from Purgatory Airlines!!!!

To my friend from the UK whom thinks I hate him because of that, (and in my mind I think works for Langley) I just want you to know, I am only making this trip to see if hell has frozen over!!!!

WE ACTUALLY AGREE ON SOMETHING!!!!!! WOO HOO! I'd give you a thumbs up, but they are gone!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I have mentioned my past employment in a mental hospital. I could talk forever about the things I have seen other people do. I have seen people eat their own feces, absolutely. I have had it thrown at me a couple of times, too. I just erased a story about that....figured it would gross you out to much.

Oh hell, i can't tell you guys about any of it. I just erased another one that I figured everyone would think was so unbelievable that I made it up.

Just know...it is diagnosis typically called "PICA", and it sounds like this poor guy had some fairly bad psychosis or dementia going on.

I think that men are not worthy of self governance. I think that, for the most part, what authority tends to do is far worse than if we had no authority at all.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by boncho

That and the fact that our mental health system is broken and dependent on dangerous drugs! Also, our prison system has become a dam to collect the overflow of mental health patients due to our pathetic health care system in our country......and NO the Affordable Health Care Act sure is hell not going to address this problem...

Some people DO need locked up. However, in the United States of America, our government has chosen to use our prison system as a form of punishment for people whom are not only mentally ill, but have never harmed anyone financially, mentally OR physically!

As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of thousands in prison or being penalized for harming NO ONE!

What do we expect when we sit blindly and allow this kind of police state to develop???

I want to point out the rock and the hard place for you here:

The use of SSRI and SSNI drugs has revolutionized psychiatry. I worked in the state system back when it was all private people committed by the courts for purely psychiatric reasons (with a few folks checking themselves in on insurance/medicare....very few). We had several who were institutionalized. A handful of criminal committals.

Now that same hospital, which my wife works at, is all forensic. It is prisoners who are on mental committments (to gain ability to stand trial, or suicide while in the joint). The reason is SSRI and SSNI have stabilized the psychosis where no other drugs could before. I have known people who were revolving door cases for decades that now are leading mostly normal lives.

So they public is mostly treated via outpatient clinics, with rare hospitalizations. The beds are now committed to the prison population. Upside: prisoners can now get treatment. Downside: they can imprison more people by using hospital beds for inmates, and the community loses some access to the services.

The dark side of Serotonin meds has been discussed a lot, and there is a thread here on ATS linking them to the recent spate of shootings across the nation (going back to Columbine).

So the rock is that the medications are a breakthrough and salvation for so many people, and for the system in general. The downside is that it seems to also be a common factor in extreme violence of a stomach turning nature.

It isn't going to be fixed over night....but the awareness is growing. So we shall see.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

you do agree that poverty increases crime. and you comment on the nice street, nice suit area proves it.

Imagine if the poverty was eliminated and only the true whackos go to prison like proposed?

Many guards are bigger bags than half the inmates..

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I won't argue with you on that one. But being a product of the system and being on these drugs for quite a few years, my problem is that when you see your shrink and complain about the effects of a med you are taking they do one of two things, increase or decrease the amount of that med you are taking, OR give you another med that MIGHT alleviate that negative symptom you are complaining about...............Not saying that some of these drugs do not help those whom are on them, it is just a fact that for some people, they do more harm than help.

Honestly, I used to sit down in front of this clown and think, my God, this guy has no freakin clue as to what is wrong with me, therefore he is just going to act like an alchemist of old and keep changing my meds until the day I walk in his office and I tell him my life is "Glorious".

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

HanzHenry

you do agree that poverty increases crime. and you comment on the nice street, nice suit area proves it.

Imagine if the poverty was eliminated and only the true whackos go to prison like proposed?

Many guards are bigger bags than half the inmates..

There is no such thing as Utopia. Dreaming about it won't make it a reality.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

seeker1963

Honestly, I used to sit down in front of this clown and think, my God, this guy has no freakin clue as to what is wrong with me, therefore he is just going to act like an alchemist of old and keep changing my meds until the day I walk in his office and I tell him my life is "Glorious".

That about sums it up.

Imagine a guy standing in front of some rube goldberg type contraption the size of a wall. On the contraptoin are various pulls, levers, buttons, switches, wheels, cranks, and knobs. You don't know what any of them are, what they do, or what they are for. YOu just learn that you can make certain things happen by fiddling with it in a certain sequence.

This is what psychiatric medicine is like They just pull the knobs, push the buttons, and twist the wheels. Based on how it was done in the past, they start with that point of reference and just fiddle until they find a happy medium.

It isn't exactly a science, although it can appear so most often. And it certainly isn't an art.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join