It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal prison accused of piling sandbags around feces-eating inmate instead of treating him

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Restricted

HanzHenry
reply to post by Restricted

you do agree that poverty increases crime. and you comment on the nice street, nice suit area proves it.

Imagine if the poverty was eliminated and only the true whackos go to prison like proposed?

Many guards are bigger bags than half the inmates..

There is no such thing as Utopia. Dreaming about it won't make it a reality.

If many people act with honor and strive for utopia we will have it without ever reaching it,.

Oh yeah,, the honor part.. there you are sadly correct. I promise you.. maybe 10% of military and L.E. would truly make the cut.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

GrantedBail
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Someone doing 5 years on a pot charge got the death penalty.

edit on 2-10-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

What??? In some states it's legal, in other you get the death penalty???

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I am going to say among military, you will find people to be somewhat similar to the regular population in the general behavior, from an ethical standpoint anyway. Among LEO, they may be somewhat worse only due to the attractive nature of that job to people who may have intentions to abuse it.

HOWEVER, this is in the base nature. If you look at how it actualizes....there was an interesting study done....read up on it. It seems people who are given an advantage begin to feel privileged because of it. As if their success derives more from their innate greatness than from the advantage they are given. Even when a game of Monopoly is where the advantage is at

Article Relating To Study by Paul Piff

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
The things that go unreported in prisons would make most people sick to their stomachs. The abuse by prison guards runs rampant. If you give someone authority and teach them to not see prisoners as people, but as sub-human ... you get the type of behavior the OP speaks of.

That is so false its laughable. Obviously you know nothing about the corrections field.

Trust me, this happens all the time in prisons. Prisoners, especially new ones, will do pretty much anything to get out of there and into a different place.

If every prisoner who played with their crap or cut themselves or what have you were given transfers out into mental wards there would be nobody left in prison. Its a very old and very common occurrence for prisoners to play the "crazy" game.

I'm sure this man's been given counseling, been talked to by the officers, and still continues this behavior. Eventually you just let them stew in it instead of taking them out everytime and having their cell cleaned 3 times a day.

It takes more resources and time than you can imagine to get a prisoner out, cleaned, and relocated to another cell while other inmates "detox" his.

The most common ruse is for an inmate to block up their toilet so they can get out into the cage for a change of scenery. If it happens more than once you can be assured that this particular inmate is going to be spending the majority of his day wading through his own excrement.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinkerpeach

Perhaps some do!

But how do you explain that most whom go into prison come out worse????

Is it because the prison guards dance thru the halls every morning spreading sunshine and rainbows? Prison has nothing to do with rehabilitation anymore. It is all about punishment and teaching those scumbags who is boss! Which in turn, makes them very bitter when they get out!

Put yourself in their shoes! Got a blunt! GO TO PRISON! Oh yea, that really helps doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Corrections officers do not make the law. They need to maintain control of a prison population that far outnumbers them. With recent cutbacks its even worse than most people know and if the prisoners knew it all hell would break loose.

If you want to put more reforms into prisons that is fine but it is irrelevant to the job that the officers have to do. They cannot maintain control if they become friendly and treat prisoners as equals, it simply does not work that way.

Do corrections officers walk around beating people all day? Of course not, in fact, any altercation, even getting spit on, must have reports filed. The last thing any correction officer wants to do is engage a prisoner in a confrontation. It can lead to a seriously dangerous situation in an instant where that officer, or officers, find themselves unarmed and extremely outnumbered.

After some time on the job these men and women become used to what the job entails and do not generally get bothered by the general life in prison. The insults, the feces throwing, the getting spit on......there is little that can shock a prison corrections officer to the point where they would want to exact revenge on a prisoner.

Does it happen?

Probably but not nearly as often as many would like to believe.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

But how do you explain that most whom go into prison come out worse????

It is because serving time in prison is a life changing event. You need to become a different person to survive. It has nothing to do with the corrections officers guarding them.

Officers have as little contact with inmates as possible while still maintaining control.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Are those officers not human? Have you ever heard of the "Stanford Prison Experiment"? If you are unfamiliar with this documented experiment I suggest you look it up!

I am not saying prison guards are monsters, and please let me know where I lead you to think that in my comment......

All I was trying to say is that our prison system has become nothing more than a money making scam that has nothing to do with rehabilitation and nothing more than a system to say, "You do as you or told, or you will see my smiling face again."

Are you a prison guard? Because really, I don't see how you could reply to me in the manner you did, when I never said one word against the guards. They are just like the rest of the police state whom question nothing and do what they are told. All in the name of getting their paycheck.........sigh

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

There are some who are sadistic....but they get weeded out rather quickly.

There are 5 prisons in my small town. As best I can tell, the idea is: keep a lid on it, go home that night, avoid a lockdown.

Once there is a lockdown, everyone's in it till the end. No one wants that, i can imagine.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

It is because serving time in prison is a life changing event. You need to become a different person to survive. It has nothing to do with the corrections officers guarding them.

Jesus Christ!!!! Losing a girlfriend or boyfriend or a husband or wife is life changing event......................

Nevermind, you must be a prison guard and for some reason I pissed you off. Why? I don't know. Not once did I bring up the guards. I criticized the system.

But please, educate yourself and look up the video of that experiment I mention in my previous post......it shows how we as humans can become monsters......

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

ccrjustice.org...

Science paints a different picture.

Solitary confinement is widespread and causes severe and permanent psychological damage to prisoners, even in the short term. Surprisingly even the U.N. released a report bashing the practice, not that the U.S. will listen.

Of course the administrators and prison guards will argue all day long that it's a perfectly acceptable form of population control. However, science paints a different picture. So does statistics.

At any given moment in the U.S. there are over 80,000 prisoners in solitary confinement. That's 3.5% of the prison population undergoing psychological torture at any given moment. Compound that and take into account how the majority of prisoners have at some time spent time in solitary and it's very easy to see WHY people are coming out permanently damaged mentally. This is in addition to prison life in general and the effects of institutionalization.

www.reuters.com...
edit on 2-10-2013 by OrphanApology because:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Yes, Miss Peach, knows what she's talking about.

I work in maximum security mental institution - we trade "patients - inmates" with the maximum security prisons in this state daily.

Eating feces, digging feces out of your bottom and smearing it on walls, keeping it in a paper cup and throwing at prison gaurds or psychiatric technitians is common practice.

The young kids from milwaukee are quite adept at it - growing up in the different institutional settings that they have been accustomed to -

Yes, there are far too many mentally ill patients in prison - and they are far too many not mentally ill psychopaths in expensive psychiatric state facilities these days -

The problem is the judges and the in-experienced psychologist or over paid psychologist to put these people in the wrong places.

The truly mentally ill are the victims of these people - It's an old saying, but true - if you are truly mentally ill, you don't want medication - if you're a psychopath - you want whatever you can get.

The differences of being in a prison and a "mental facility" include - not having your correspondence monitered (phone calls, letters, financial transactions) - we've had psychopaths operate an illegal prostitution ring, drug dealing, ect - because they had a lawyer, a psychologist, and a judge say they are "mentally ill".

If an inmate spits on an officer in prison = he gets 5 years added on to his sentence. In a mental facility - you can rape and kill an employee, and not get anything out of it, as far as added confinement.

I don't know about this specific case - but, you can bet there is a bit more to it than is being published.

And, most mentally ill people are non-violent, and never commit a crime.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Did you reply to me accidentally? Because I agree with everything you just said. I am against the system and how it treats those whom get roped into it?????????

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

No I didn't mean to I meant that Tinker person, but either way... I agree. The system is messed up and it's ridiculous that people go in for something fairly low on the totem of importance and come out hardened nut cases.

Everyone should care because anyone can get sent to prison. Almost everyone who's existed has either broken state or federal laws at some time.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by HanzHenry

I am going to say among military, you will find people to be somewhat similar to the regular population in the general behavior, from an ethical standpoint anyway. Among LEO, they may be somewhat worse only due to the attractive nature of that job to people who may have intentions to abuse it.

HOWEVER, this is in the base nature. If you look at how it actualizes....there was an interesting study done....read up on it. It seems people who are given an advantage begin to feel privileged because of it. As if their success derives more from their innate greatness than from the advantage they are given. Even when a game of Monopoly is where the advantage is at

Article Relating To Study by Paul Piff

I have seen that. which is why across the board equality or savagery.
only fair options.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The poor Man has obviously went insane due to the treatment he has undergone while in the federal prison or for some other reason. To be honest the reason for his insanity is neither here nor there its a symptom and should be treated as such not hidden away or overlooked in such a callous manner!

The prisoner should be assessed by a third party Mental health care professional and moved to a facility that can offer treatment for whatever condition he has.

And whoever came up with the idea of sandbagging his cell and those responsible for the implementation of such a heinous solution should be forced to spend a few months in the very same place and conditions!
LoL

edit on 3-10-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
The things that go unreported in prisons would make most people sick to their stomachs. The abuse by prison guards runs rampant. If you give someone authority and teach them to not see prisoners as people, but as sub-human ... you get the type of behavior the OP speaks of.

You know this how? Someone has been watching too much tv. .... Have you been to prison? I'm going to guess no,you haven't.

Sorry,Mr Bleeding Heart...but they're prisoners. They are there for a reason.

The article linked by the OP is funny. I love how all you ATSers see the prisoners as the do gooders while looking at the officers as the ones who are doing wrong. You all need to get a #ing grip on reality,seriously.
edit on 4-10-2013 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I hope for your sake that you never end up on the wrong side of the law mate.

Because i will assure you right now prisons are indeed breeding grounds for bully's and sadists, plus corruption is rife.

Also the people who become turnkeys/screws generally fall into the same category as Police meaning they were bullied as children, picked on in school and wish to return the favour.

edit on 4-10-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

nightstalker78

MystikMushroom

You know this how? Someone has been watching too much tv. .... Have you been to prison? I'm going to guess no,you haven't.

Sorry,Mr Bleeding Heart...but they're prisoners. They are there for a reason.

The article linked by the OP is funny. I love how all you ATSers see the prisoners as the do gooders while looking at the officers as the ones who are doing wrong. You all need to get a #ing grip on reality,seriously.
edit on 4-10-2013 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

so you believe that because someone is in prison, they should be dehumanized?

Think about what you are saying. Just think about it. If you have a religious belief, try and reconcile what you just said with that belief.

Prisoners are still humans, for Christs sake.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I have been in prison as an engineer, many prisons in the southern California area. A couple I have been to many times such as R.J. Donovan and Calipatria. the macerator pumps get clogged whenever the inmates want to back things up.

The prison guards are about 70% decent human beings, 10% are actually really GOOD guys, 20% are worse than half the inmates..

To me, I would think that until only the most deserving animals are put in prison, the guards are Profiting and Perpetuating a corrupt system. As long as people are going to prison for non violent drug offenses, being unemployed and fall behind on Child Support, false charges by some poe-dunk hick corrupt cop, etc.. FOR PROFIT Prisons... that is the biggest problem.

For they are R E D C O A T S ... going along with tyranny for a PAYCHECK, just as bad as a child molester.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join