It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double sunset in many photographs lately, any clues?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I live in Greece and the last couple of months, several photographs coming from different people, considering it as a strange incident, because they capture 2 suns in their photographs.

here is some examples. Its not flair, because it creates its own light source and flair... No translation needed for this articles, just look at the photos.

this photograph is taken at 27th of September 2013 (Samos Island)

www.pistepseto.eu...

these photographs taken at 29th of september 2013 (Greece, mainland)
www.katohika.gr...

These photographs taken at 2007 11th of Jenuary in Kazankstan by a greek photographer, its -40 degrees temp ...
www.astrovox.gr...

so, any clues? I am not looking for theories, there are many out there. Those who study the sun maybe they can give us something?
edit on 29-9-2013 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Pretty much every photo you listed appears to be a casebook example of a sundog.

en.wikipedia.org...

scientific name parhelion (plural parhelia) from Greek παρήλιον (parēlion), meaning "beside the sun"; from παρά (para), meaning "beside", and ἥλιος (helios), meaning "sun", also called a mock sun[1] or a phantom sun,[2] is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun.[3]

Pretty sure you would feel and see a 2nd sun w your naked eye.

It's just your photos don't seem to show the other side of the halo, otherwise looks like we got 3 sun in this picture to worry about.
edit on 29-9-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

comparing it with one of the photos you linked

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ploutonas

Well... The fact that this "extra" sun is only visible in photographs and not to the naked eye of those photographers (and the rest of us) should point you in the general direction of the logical explanation.....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I know about the last one, they say it down bellow in the comments and they also post links about sundog... Samos island looks strange.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Alrighty.

Let say there are indeed two suns, tell me why you can't see it with your naked eye, yet a camera, tell me what is giving the camera this ability?

Until then.

ps: I still gave you a SF, it's just this isn't the first thread of this nature to come to ATS, so please dont think I am out to debunk you personally, just providing you the most likely answer.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
the only explanation i could give for this little sun, if it was real... Because our main sun is much brighter and near the main star and maybe the other star glows because of the sun and not because this little planet is a second sun.

other than that, I have no other explanation, it is not an ordinary lens flair... I have photos from the sun also, in 2008-09, but I dont get sundog at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

A sundog is the result of atmospheric conditions. It is not a camera artifact.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Those are beautiful examples of sundogs. It's my understanding that they are rather rare in the sense that they only occur under certain circumstances. Alas, I've never witness one -- but would love to!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
As a Greek resident you might find this interesting:

Aristotle (Meteorology III.2, 372a14) notes that "two mock suns rose with the sun and followed it all through the day until sunset." He says that "mock suns" are always to the side, never above or below, most commonly at sunrise or sunset, more rarely in the middle of the day.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
api.ning.com...*Dqi0TgsWiLk3Ca0May33VQ8Lf9FUX2-W0CT8sIIzEWomjVrixxQY05Ff2rewsTTpc0nd1wQOt87JzzDkBgQ885/IMG_0273.JPG

the only photo i have posted on the net with the sun direct, is this one, but I never captured 2 suns... sad.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Nice ankles.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yes, definitely a sun dog which is a pretty common phenomena.. especially in the colder months.

Which is why I tend to see this same exact topic come up every year on ATS when the weather gets colder

As a matter of fact, the photo posted above is in the Wikipedia article about this normal phenomena.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i changed it fast... sorry

Well, ok, thanks all for your answers, some other may want to ask things and post their own experiences...

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Looks like that my dream/vision is coming true seeing two suns in the sky my thread is here if you want to see

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29/9/2013 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I have made a few videos of Sun Dogs/Parhelion. For some reason we have these all the time, year around in my part of the world.
I also captured on video something that looks like 2 suns. I have no idea what to make of it because it doesn't look like the usual Sun Dogs that I see and video.

edit on 29-9-2013 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Phage
As a Greek resident you might find this interesting:

Aristotle (Meteorology III.2, 372a14) notes that "two mock suns rose with the sun and followed it all through the day until sunset." He says that "mock suns" are always to the side, never above or below, most commonly at sunrise or sunset, more rarely in the middle of the day.

en.wikipedia.org...

ahem...
funny you should bring that up

Aristotle- Meteorology

BOOK I

Part 1

We have already discussed the first causes of nature, and all natural
motion, also the stars ordered in the motion of the heavens, and the
physical element-enumerating and specifying them and showing how they
change into one another-and becoming and perishing in general. There
remains for consideration a part of this inquiry which all our predecessors
called meteorology. It is concerned with events that are natural,
though their order is less perfect than that of the first of the elements
of bodies. They take place in the region nearest to the motion of
the stars. Such are the milky way, and comets, and the movements of
meteors. It studies also all the affections we may call common to
air and water, and the kinds and parts of the earth and the affections
of its parts. These throw light on the causes of winds and earthquakes
and all the consequences the motions of these kinds and parts involve.

Comet actually means “long-haired,” and Greek philosopher and scientist Aristotle (384 BC – 322 BC) is the first known person to use it to describe these “hairy stars.” Comets were very often considered bad omens, supposedly foretelling the death of royalty or the onset of some calamity. They seemed to appear out of nowhere, and then disappear just as quickly. Astrologers must have flourished when a comet appeared in the heavens.
Comets were initially thought to be manifestations of the atmosphere.
www.theskyscrapers.org...

ironically, like you, he was a uniformitarian

Ancient Greek philosopher, born in Stageira, Chalcidice, Macedonia, Greece in 384 B.C. His father was court physician to the King of Macedonia. He went to Athens in 367 B.C. to study with Plato, then returned to Macedonia in 342 B.C. to serve as tutor of prince Alexander, the later Alexander the Great. Aristotle returned to Athens around 334 B.C. and founded Lyceum. He died at Chalcis, Euboea, Greece 322 B.C.

He found and summarized arguments for a spherical Earth, thus ruling out older models with a flat Earth. Moreover, he constructed a world system of concentric spheres around Earth in the center (i.e., a geocentric system), carrying planets and the outermost the "Fixed" stars - thus forming a finite, spherical universe. He believed that "nebulous" objects like comets or the Milky Way belonged to the near-Earth space, the domain of meteorology instead of astronomy. He considered meteorological phenomena short-lived, while the "heavenly" spheres would never change.
messier.seds.org...

most of the reports of second or multiple suns witnessed in antiquity were cases of comets or fireballs/bolides
another of your bete-noirs
lets not even go there regarding your meteorological postings

not to say it's not a sun-dog or lens flare now, as ari claims mock-suns, like rainbows are reflections

but it looks to me that, in your haste to debunk, you may have over-reached/outsmarted yourself with the above source
and laid a freudian...

edit on 29-9-2013 by Metaphysique because: added edit & comment

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

Um. Ok.
Yes. Comets have been observed for a long time. As have sundogs.

But comets and the Milky Way are not meteorological phenomena. While sundogs are.
edit on 9/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The projector is screwed up, have patients, they will have it fixed as soon as the parts come in.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Phage

1.-Um. Ok.
Yes. Comets have been observed for a long time. As have sundogs.

2.-But comets and the Milky Way are not meteorological phenomena. While sundogs are.
edit on 9/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

1-a mumbled concession of a sorts
followed by a most patronizing deflection

2-
Well I never claimed such, Aristotle did, debunk him.

it's not like you to be at a loss for words...

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

He thought the Earth was the center of the Universe and the the Sun, stars, and planets all revolved around it in 55 perfect crystal spheres.

How's that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join