It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting rid of Sky TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well my contract runs out this Thursday and I have told my TV provider to stick it where the sun doesn't shine as they are far too expensive.
I now get letters and emails begging me to come back but even with the 75% off my bill for the past year, it's still money I can make better use off than throwing it away to them every month.
I just checked and most of the programmes I can download anyway so don't need it at all.
I have a Freesat box with a 2gb hard drive that can record so will use that instead.
Latest phone call was yesterday and before he started his usual crap I stopped him and said he was wasting his time and to go away as I had made my mind up.
Only thing I'm keeping is the broadband and phone line but I use my mobile so don't use the home phone at all and just pay the rental for it.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Sensible move , I use Freeview which has many channels of rubbish but its free rubbish

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

gortex

Sensible move , I use Freeview which has many channels of rubbish but its free rubbish

I've got Freeview built in to the TV so can use that as well. Only think is, here in Scotland we can't get STV HD so I use a London postcode and get ITV HD which is better anyway, plus we can get the football as well on it

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Online internet tv packages are far better and you dont end up with a whole channel for a single show.

Best bit is, if you dont like it you've only paid a month no yearly contracts and such!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Absolutely. We dumped our cable long ago and my young teenage daughters were cool with it too. Now, they are off in college and are still without it and happy as clams. Not missing a thing here.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Biigs
Online internet tv packages are far better and you dont end up with a whole channel for a single show.

Best bit is, if you dont like it you've only paid a month no yearly contracts and such!

Was thinking of going back to Netflix as I still have a receiver lying about somewhere I can use and as you say, it's only a month at a time and no contract....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
If possible dump the land line, they get u on the calls on that. Just use ur mobile.

As for Netflix I found it was complete rubbish. Sign up for the fee month by all means and check it out. I bet u dump it after that. Think of any top movie, Top Gun, Terminator, etc etc ..... they not on netflix. What does that tell u ?

A good net connection and u can anything u want for free or dead cheap.
edit on 29-9-2013 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

bigyin
If possible dump the land line, they get u on the calls on that. Just use ur mobile.

As for Netflix I found it was complete rubbish. Sign up for the fee month by all means and check it out. I bet u dump it after that. Think of any top movie, Top Gun, Terminator, etc etc ..... they not on netflix. What does that tell u ?

A good net connection and u can anything u want for free or dead cheap.
edit on 29-9-2013 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

Got to have the landline for the internet unfortunately

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Do you not have cable in your area , I'm with Virgin I don't have the phone just the net .

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

If we did, I would go for Virgin no problem. We don't so am stuck with Sky or BT and had problems with them a while ago so got rid. My download speed is pretty fast and we are supposed to get fibre optic this year or so they say. Will believe it when it happens though.
Think I will keep using the Sky box for those channels I can't get on Freesat as I have 3 cables coming from the dish so can use 2 of them for Freesat and remaining one for the Sky one.
Won't be able to record on Sky as they want an extra tenner or so for the thing to work that way and I'm not giving them that....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Good on you dude. Tv is a load of toss these days. I haven't got a tv and haven't for about 3 years now, i'm 24 and when i say i don't watch tv people think i'm weird as... (i have a tv for my xbox and as a monitor, but i don't receive tv signals or have a freeview box).

I watch tv online and have lovefilm to watch some decent tv on.

Now just remember to stay strong, one of the old boys at work used to moan about Sky all the time but everytime he phoned up to cancel hung up with free packages haha

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

They tried there hardest to keep me on with their offers. I just checked my next bill and I get half price broadband for a whole year plus broadband, total £18.50, makes a change from the £50 I was paying before

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
My mom lives with us. Actually, we live with her since she wouldn't move out of her house, but couldn't continue living alone.

we have cable. swank cable set up. She enjoys TV, as does the wife. The son and I use the internet for entertainment, an netflix for movies.

top topics

join