It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bikers guided by hi-tech helmet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Tired of reading a map wile going top speed on your motorbike?

well not anymore, voice reorganization technology kicks it up in the bike world. apparently its designed something like our eyes. a laser processor that has a laser pickup system that fires the image threw mirrors that hits the front visor, giving you sight

enjoy

Car drivers are used to seeing satellite navigation mounted on windscreens or dashboards but motorcyclists have had no such luxury - until now.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

A helmet mounted HUD.
That's cool. I'd like it for use while hang gliding.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
They've invented a way to shoot lasers into your eyes, and help you see.

I can't see any problems with this

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

As a motorcyclist, I started looking for a HUD. I've found a couple of options, but the companies that touted these HUD's never got them into production. The only alternative that I found was this: www.reconinstruments.com...

I plan on purchasing the "Snow goggles", remove the HUD and modify my current helmet to hold it. Via the forums, a few people have done the same.

My favorite helmet which failed to raise enough funding: www.indiegogo.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Been riding bikes all my life, and I dont think this is a good idea. Anything that draws a riders attention is a distraction, and distractions kill. Riding bikes is already a gamble with death, every other vehicle on the road, every pedestrian, EVERYTHING, is a threat to a bike rider.
I'd rather have clear vision without distractions.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

But just think.
You could get texts and read ATS!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

So you'd rather have to look down at the speedometer than have that presented to you within the area that would appear to you to be 30 meters / yards down the road? ... and subtle indications to the left and right of the viewport that you forgot to turn off a turn signal, or above the road telling you the engine is overheating, and RPM's shown 'closer' to your bike?

Granted, once you've ridden a while, you know the sound of the engine and how that relates to your speed, but I'd rather move my eyes a little bit and/or rely on my peripheral vision, before I would want to tilt my whole head and take my eyes completely off the road to look down at the cluster between my hands.

That's the whole purpose of HUD- "Head's Up Display"- so you can keep your head up and minimize distractions by things outside of your peripheral vision that could cause you to lose focus.

You're reason(s) for not wanting it are the reasons you should have it.

edit on 9/29/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Auricom

As a motorcyclist, I started looking for a HUD. I've found a couple of options, but the companies that touted these HUD's never got them into production. The only alternative that I found was this: www.reconinstruments.com...

I plan on purchasing the "Snow goggles", remove the HUD and modify my current helmet to hold it. Via the forums, a few people have done the same.

My favorite helmet which failed to raise enough funding: www.indiegogo.com...

Screw the transport, I want to make one of those just for walking around the city. An all in one heads up. Could incorporate rear view cameras, wifi to your android, the stereo surround sound audio, work on the imaging properly, andyou could get faux 3D. Depth of field from a virtual stand point, so even with walls in the way you can navigate somewhere.

You know, I should be quiet. Someone will nick that idea.

Yes, go ride a bike guys,
nothing to see here.

Oo

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

LOL

You said you'd like one for hang gliding. For what purpose?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

VoidHawk
reply to post by Phage

LOL

You said you'd like one for hang gliding. For what purpose?

Altimeter, ambient air temp fore and aft....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

For texting and reading ATS of course.

Instrumentation; variometer, altimeter, gps, sidewinder targeting...

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

abecedarian

I disagree. As you stated, a rider is aware of the state of the engine through feedback. Speed is also known via feedback.
For directions a little whisper in the ear is all thats needed. Been riding since I was 9, I'm now nearly sixty, and only had one accident, and that was because a dutch guy (I'm in the uk) rammed into the side of me.
The last thing any rider needs is distractions and that device DOES present distractions.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Phage

That makes sense. Unlike bikes, you have a lot of space around you, things are a bit calmer...assuming your not plummeting downwards

Sidewinder - Always wanted one of those for the bike, useful for clearing a path through the traffic.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

winofiend

Check out Oculus rift. Its on ytube. Some of the vids are old now, so look for the latest, soon you'll have everything you mentioned, and you wont even have to leave your home.
edit on 29-9-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

VoidHawk

abecedarian

I disagree. As you stated, a rider is aware of the state of the engine through feedback. Speed is also known via feedback.
For directions a little whisper in the ear is all thats needed. Been riding since I was 9, I'm now nearly sixty, and only had one accident, and that was because a dutch guy (I'm in the uk) rammed into the side of me.
The last thing any rider needs is distractions and that device DOES present distractions.

It would present distractions to [I]you[/I]; maybe I agree, since you're not used to it. And no amount of tech, currently, would have prevented your accident, unless it could look around corners. I'm 43 and have never been in an accident, and I can see the benefit of HUD.

You're almost 60. Did you complain when engines went from points to electronic ignition, and then from carburetors to fuel injection? And please, don't answer- just think. I'm going to agree that we disagree.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
There are plenty of sat navs that are made just for motor cycles, plus why not have one with an earpiece loud enough for instructions in your helmet? I used to ride bikes so do know it could work....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Phage

I can see it now, gliding along happily with the wind breezing through your frisky mane, and all of a sudden...

"HAARP caused the Fukushima Nukulear meltdown. Look at this photograph!"

and you'd crash into the nearest mountain with the keypad falling hundreds of meters to the earth below...

Oo

Don't do it man, just say no to hand gliding and ATS.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

VoidHawk

winofiend

Check out Oculus rift. Its on ytube. Some of the vids are old now, so look for the latest, soon you'll have everything you mentioned, and you wont even have to leave your home.
edit on 29-9-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

I remember VR headsets easily over 20 years ago, why do I still not have one

As it is, google will sell me some sort of contraption one day. but I'll have to buy the cheap consumer model.. the one that causes eye cancer and deafness. I'll still buy it however.

Connect it up to my personal drone and I can leave the house in style. From the comfort of my chair.

Man, I would so be one of those slackers in that movie "Surrogates", with a double out and about while I slothed around in slumber.

Just gotten used to society again too. Probably best I don't entertain such notions.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

scotsdavy1
There are plenty of sat navs that are made just for motor cycles, plus why not have one with an earpiece loud enough for instructions in your helmet? I used to ride bikes so do know it could work....

Exactly.

Me, after thoughtful consideration.. I'm just going to gaffa tape two cheap iphones over my eyes.

Problem solved.

Apple maps is good, no?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Wasn't easy trying to read a map while going at 70mph in my day and also using the ashtray as well!
I once got stopped by a cop with blue lights going and asked him what was wrong, he said he just liked my bike and wanted a look at it! Some people pmsl

top topics

<<   2 >>

join