It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bikers guided by hi-tech helmet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

abecedarian

VoidHawk

abecedarian
You're reason(s) for not wanting it are the reasons you should have it.

I disagree. As you stated, a rider is aware of the state of the engine through feedback. Speed is also known via feedback.
For directions a little whisper in the ear is all thats needed. Been riding since I was 9, I'm now nearly sixty, and only had one accident, and that was because a dutch guy (I'm in the uk) rammed into the side of me.
The last thing any rider needs is distractions and that device DOES present distractions.

It would present distractions to [I]you[/I]; maybe I agree, since you're not used to it. And no amount of tech, currently, would have prevented your accident, unless it could look around corners. I'm 43 and have never been in an accident, and I can see the benefit of HUD.

You're almost 60. Did you complain when engines went from points to electronic ignition, and then from carburetors to fuel injection? And please, don't answer- just think. I'm going to agree that we disagree.

don't answer- just think.
I was thinking, and I think any distraction is a risk, dont see how you can deny that.

No I didnt complain when they switched from points to electronic ignition, in fact I made my own because they virtually eliminated burnt points. Early injection systems on cars were awful, however by the time they started fitting them to bikes they were far superior to carb, so no, I didn't complain about those either.

It would present distractions to [I]you[/I]
When this device presents info to your eyes you gotta use the grey matter to process that info, and you even gotta use the gray matter to decide if you want to ignore that info.
When we ride bikes our subconscious looks for patterns within the movement around us, if it spots something unusual it's brought to our attention. That device will mask some of that because the rider will be busy processing the images.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I agree with you voidhawk,
I have been riding and racing for more than 40 years myself, and I do not want a hud inside my helmet space either.
It's one of those things dreamed up by someone who doesnt really ride and thinks it's a good idea.
Like you said the subconscious takes over ,when riding, and makes decisions based on the space around you.
When I'm in traffic I am aware of such little most people wouldn't ever notice, like how the driver is sitting in a car three cars ahead. How they are sitting can tell what they are likely to do.
When I first discovers I could tether my phone through my GPS and intercom, I thought it was cool. I even had my phone set up for voice to text, and text to voice, then one day I was out railing the FZ1 in the hills, and got a call from someone while I was ready to put my knee down in a 100mph corner, just responding to autotxt, took just enough away from my concentration I almost missed my turn in point.
Now on a touring rig on the open road, an hud on the winds screen, for nav related stuff would be cool.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

punkinworks10
reply to post by VoidHawk

I agree with you voidhawk,
I have been riding and racing for more than 40 years myself, and I do not want a hud inside my helmet space either.
It's one of those things dreamed up by someone who doesnt really ride and thinks it's a good idea.
Like you said the subconscious takes over ,when riding, and makes decisions based on the space around you.
When I'm in traffic I am aware of such little most people wouldn't ever notice, like how the driver is sitting in a car three cars ahead. How they are sitting can tell what they are likely to do.
When I first discovers I could tether my phone through my GPS and intercom, I thought it was cool. I even had my phone set up for voice to text, and text to voice, then one day I was out railing the FZ1 in the hills, and got a call from someone while I was ready to put my knee down in a 100mph corner, just responding to autotxt, took just enough away from my concentration I almost missed my turn in point.
Now on a touring rig on the open road, an hud on the winds screen, for nav related stuff would be cool.

Thanks, thought I was the only person who could see the problem.
I have a similar story. It was years ago. I hollowed out the seat at the back and inserted a radio, stuck two very small speakers in the helmet which connected via a wire with a jack on the end LOL. I thought a bit of music would be nice. Couple of days later I ripped it out after having almost lost it on a corner.
I've never raced as such (legally), but did visit the Nurburgring (Germany) and blast my TDM round it, what a ride!! 14 miles of race track through tree's and mountains.

<< 1   >>

join