It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Baghdad Airport Closed Indefinitely -- PM Office

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The interim Iraqi government has closed Baghdad International airport indefinitely. This extension comes on the heels of the week long closure implemented under emergency rule that was declared prior to the Fallujah offensive. The closure applies to civilian traffic and military flights will continue.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's interim government extended the closure of Baghdad international airport indefinitely on Saturday under emergency rule imposed ahead of this week's U.S.-led offensive on Falluja.

"It is closed until further notice," an official in Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's office said.

Allawi first closed the airport last Sunday ahead of the start of the assault on the rebel city of Falluja on Monday. The closure, which applies to civilian traffic only, was to have been in place for a few days only.

Royal Jordanian, one of two commercial airlines operating out of Baghdad airport, stopped taking bookings this week.

But the government on Saturday reopened two border crossings with Syria and Jordan for festivities marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Those borders had been sealed to all but essential traffic as part of the 60-day state of emergency in place across the whole of Iraq except the Kurdish north.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is not a surprising move given the general state of unrest. Also, several planes have been hit using the airport by man portable SAMS�s and RPG�s. However, it is concerning that they do not appear to have control over even airport approaches in the city. It remains to be seen when the airport will reopen to civilian traffic, but I cannot imagine that Baghdad was high on anyone�s vacation list.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
DARN

There goes my vacation plans

I heard almost any American can be a movie star there

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't think any Restaurant in Bahgdad has a Zagat rating yet either

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Its the only place I can afford to go to. I have heard the fireworks display is fantastic

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Guess I'll have to drive there, instead.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Well, for those who can't get to see the fireworks first-hand, don't worry. the world tour will be visiting a city near you soon.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Baghdad Airport to re-open Monday, per FOX.

seekerof

top topics

join