It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists reveal alien life discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
au.news.yahoo.com...

Hi all I just came across this, very interesting indeed. Not the little green man you have been waiting for but life all the same. Credit to my wife for pointing it out to me.

British scientists claim to have found proof of alien life and of it arriving close to Earth after sending a balloon 27km into the stratosphere.

Professor Milton Wainwright, from the University of Sheffield’s department of molecular biology and biotechnology, has revealed that a specially designed balloon used to monitor the Perseid meteor shower has returned with samples of small organisms.

The Perseid meteor shower is a cloud comprising particles ejected by the comet Swift-Tuttle as it travels on its 133-year orbit.

Professor Wainwright said the particles collected by the balloon, a diatom fragment and some "unusual biological entities", were too large to have originated on Earth.

The conclusion is that they originated from space.

The researchers’ findings were published in the Journal of Cosmology.

Professor Wainwright said: "In the absence of a mechanism by which large particles like these can be transported to the stratosphere we can only conclude that the biological entities originated from space.

"Our conclusion then is that life is continually arriving to Earth from space, life is not restricted to this planet and it almost certainly did not originate here."

He said "stringent precautions" had been taken against contamination, news website metro.co.uk reported.

There are plans to launch another balloon to coincide with a meteor shower associated with Haley's comment.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Point out to the wife that she would have been better off searching ATS for this instead of Yahoo!! She would have found this yesterday.....

edit on 9/20/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This has been covered a couple of days ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Don't you just hate that Captain Beno

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Meh, still interesting all the same.

Mind you, apollo moon landings, 911 and Kennedy should stop posting as well. I'll go and tell them all.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

This topic may have been posted before but it's the first I'm hearing about it. So I say thank you CaptainBeno for the post. Without it I would have missed this truly interesting bit of news.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
As was pointed out in that other thread on this a couple of weeks ago, they really don't give any good conformation as to...:

1. Why they are sure these organisms did not contaminate the balloon prior to lifting off or prior to landing -- i.e., what makes them so sure that these diatoms and algae were at 27 km?

and

2. They didn't convince me (at least not in those articles) that this algae CANNOT exist at 27 km.

Perhaps our understanding is not complete regarding how these organisms could reach the stratosphere by riding the wind, or how long they could remain in the stratosphere (riding the wind) after being ejected from the sides of volcanic mountains.

These guys seem to be jumping the gun here declaring "the only possible answer is that these are ET".

edit on 9/21/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have always felt the
Panspermia Theory
is a very strong possibility to life on Earth in general. Which is extremely intriguing and just feels like a theory that makes sense.

Sure there is a myriad of other possibilities and when it comes down to it we probably will not know the exact answer for a very long time. The real truth is probably something that our brains are not yet wired to understand.

I am curious if there is a way to try to determine an origin to these particles discussed in the OP, highly doubtful. So it may be possible these "biological entities" (algae) may actually be prominent throughout outer space. Very intriguing indeed.

If we continue to find more samples such as this, than that would make me believe the Panspermia Theory seems to work out just dandy.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Did you hear about the space bacteria that traveled down to earth from the guy that jump from the ballon in space? That bacteria is roaming around earth right now.

new topics

top topics

join